Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Boulevardier said:
I've found it a bit strange that this subject hasn't come up before. Maybe I missed it.
You did miss it, with all due respect. ;) There are many threads on pocket watches and watches around here.

Still, it's good to get some new discussions going, though I may at some point merge this into an existing thread for the sake of archiving.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
I love pocket watches, and wear one whenever I can. Here's my favorite: (Click the "Pocket Watches" link on the left)

http://balder.prohosting.com/jmiheve/

I have others, but I've been having issues getting good pictures. I'm not even very happy with the pictures of that one.

A good source for pocket watches is, surprisingly, Wal-Mart. They carry a few, both mechanical and quartz. They run about $30-$35 in my area. You can also check the Colibri web site, they have some more elaborate (and more expensive) ones.

-Jake

funneman

Practically Family
Hey thanks Gents...

I guess the thing that got me started thinking about it, was noticing that almost all of my pants have watchpockets. From Levis to Wranglers to Khakis.

I was thinking a RR type watch with a belt chain would look nice with almost anything, not just suits.

I really enjoy making a fedora work with everyday wear, I wonder if the pocketwatch would work as well. I kinda of like that everydey, working man kind of vintage look.

I like those vintage pictures of guys in jeans and workboots, sleeves rolled up, with a fedora. Ive seen some posted here.

Happy Stroller

One of the Regulars
funneman said:
:
I was thinking a RR type watch with a belt chain would look nice with almost anything, not just suits.
:
====================== End of quote =====================

RR type? What's that? Rolls-Royce? Rest & Relaxation/Recreation?

Feraud

Bartender
Happy Stroller said:
====================== End of quote =====================

RR type? What's that? Rolls-Royce? Rest & Relaxation/Recreation?
RailRoad! ;)

A big old Railroad watch with a silver chain looks great with "dressed down" style clothes!

RR = railroad

The open face pocket watches are often refered to as a Railroad watch because they were used by the conductors and railroadmen. (No time to waste opening the watch, just show me the time please!)

The closing, covered type tend to be refered to as Hunter type since many had hunting scenes stamped or engraved on the outside of the cover.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Early Digital Pocket Watches

I am somewhat in a difficult position. I cannot read analog clocks, aside from 1:00 or 1:30. 1:45 or 3:15, I cannot read on an analog clock. People have tried to teach me, but it's no use. As of now I have been searching for the perfect digital classic looking pocket watch. A while back I came across early pocket watches, as shown here: http://webpages.charter.net/frankpt/m2a.htm

These type of watches would be perfect, but I have a feeling they are very rare, and very expensive, being it $450 on eBay for one kind and $1,000+ for another. I found that the company Colibri offers digital pocket watches but not with that look I am looking for. Some do however, have digital dates on them, but an analog clock. It's been difficult. I would not like to spend over $100 on a watch, as I would not enjoy carrying it around on a regular basis. Watches worth that much should be kept in a safe.

My question is that are there any reasonable DIGITAL pocket watches, not necessarily early ones, as neat as that would be to have, but perhaps new ones that have a classic look, yet on the inside are either 100% digital, or digital and analog. I might have to just go with a 100% analog pocket watch, but at this point, I would rather continue searching.

Tough journey. :p

Naphtali

Practically Family
To restate to verify I understand results wanted: You want to acquire a reasonably priced digital pocket watch. You prefer digital MECHANICAL watch, but will accept an electric watch so long as it adheres reasonably closely to circa 1940s styling?
I suggest you query these URLs.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/index.php

http://www.timezone.com/

http://www.equationoftime.com/

http://hometown.aol.com/ReyneH/

http://www.watchuseek.com/wuswc/index.html
These forums include enthusiasts, specialty vendors, hobbyist makers, custom professional makers, and people like me.

Almost certainly someone among their members can solve your problem.

Hope this helps.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It's a shame that you've placed such a low price ceiling on your acquisition as I've seen some wonderful vintage digital pieces on the market for just a couple hundred dollars.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Naphtali said:
To restate to verify I understand results wanted: You want to acquire a reasonably priced digital pocket watch. You prefer digital MECHANICAL watch, but will accept an electric watch so long as it adheres reasonably closely to circa 1940s styling?

I am not looking to find a digital mechanical watch, because of it's value. I wouldn't want to carry around such a rarity in my pocket. More or less, a electric one, either completely digital, whereas, rather than hands and a face, you have a digital screen, OR hands and a face, along with a much smaller digital screen on the face below the hands. Something of the sorts. If there is such a thing as a reproduction early pocket watch, that would be great. I have though of having one made, but my funds don't point in that direction. Perhaps one day. Thank you for those addresses, thoug. Hopefully I can find something within my requirements.

It does not seem that something of this sort would not exist. Early digital pocket watches have been the closest to it so far, but why would there not be a classic looking pocket watch with a digital face, rather than an analog?

NRay

New in Town
A Matter Of Pocketwatches

I need some insight concerning pocketwatches.
Because I do alot of bicycling and swimming, I have always worn wristwatches, but recently I have been thinking about getting a good pocketwatch. So, can anybody tell me some practical or fashionable reasons to have one? For instance, would it be better to wear one with a three-piece suit rather than a wristwatch with a three-piece suit? Or, is it more convenient to have when hiking or camping? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

Sincerely,
Nathan

On a side note: I currently have two watches: a Timex Ironman (digital for exercise activities) and a brushed steel Timex Expedition (analog for other occasions). I seem to use Timex a lot because they wear well and are reasonably inexpensive, and this is good for me since I beat up and lose watches out in the wild too often.

Feraud

Bartender
NRay said:
So, can anybody tell me some practical or fashionable reasons to have one?
There is nothing practical or fashionable (as in trendy) at all about pocket watches. All that rubbish aside, I say go for it!
I am very fond of my pocket watches.
Picture5512.jpg

Picture5511.jpg

Picture5514.jpg

Picture5515.jpg

I also have watch chains to go with them.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Brushed gold covered Bulova quartz on a short chain, a Xmas present from the folks in the 1980s.

My dad wore a Mondaine Swiss railroad PW for quite awhile due to skin allergies from leather bands.

NRay

New in Town
There is nothing practical or fashionable (as in trendy) at all about pocket watches. All that rubbish aside, I say go for it!
A well put answer! Thanks, Feraud, you have some pretty nice watches. It's a shame that I can't go out and buy a brand-new Elgin or an American-made Waltham, but that is the risk one takes living 40 to 50 years after their companies closed down.
Fletch, thanks for the input, fortunately I don't have any allergies, but you bring up a good point.
Thanks also to whomever merged this thread with the older one, I didn't see it when I did a search, and now many of my questions have been answered.

Sincerely,
Nathan

rongoms

Familiar Face
as somethign of an obsessive watch afficianodo (40+ and growing), I have to agree with the above.

There is nothing more practical about a pocket watch, as opposed to a wrsitwatch. Most of the early wrsitwatches were, in fact, pocket watches that had lugs soldered to them to accomodate the leather straps. There are plenty of Waltham/Elgin/Hamilton/Illinois Watch Co. on the various sites that can be had for under $100, most running, some needing only a good cleaning.

However, finding a good watchmaker that can source parts (and make parts that are unavailable) is another story altogether. Folks in the eastern US have plenty of real watchmakers, out west, we seem to have a very few that are anything more than changers-of-battery grade folks.

I'll admit here that I am a total watch snob, automatics (self-winding) and hand-wound only please. Quartz does nothing for me. There's something quite peaceful about winding a watch in the morning, setting it to your 8-day clock on the mantle of the fireplace.

I could (and probably will later) about vintage watches for hours and more.... they're all over the place....so treat yourself to a wonderful mechanical watch. you won't be sorry.

undertaker

Practically Family
I love, wear, and collect pocket watches. I wear them with a suit or more casual clothing. I have about 40 or so many different sizes, ages, and styles and I enjoy them all. I will confess they are not the most practical and sometimes I am guilty of wearing a pocket watch and wrist watch at the same time:eek: , but I just can't help my self they are a very classy addition to any outfit. I also have collected many different styles of chains from the Victorian to the Golden Era. Should you decide to buy one PM me and I can fix you up with some great started watches, I have a couple of Elgins recently serviced and ready to go.

This is one of my favorite vest chains.
Jamesandkids.jpg

Regards,
J.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm