Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the only pocket watch I own. It is a railroad type. It keeps perfect time.
DSCN4576.jpg

DSCN4577.jpg

DSCN4579.jpg

DSCN4580.jpg

If any of you have a Waltham Bond watch from the 1880s it was probobly made in my building. I live in their NYC Bond St. location.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JS it is a wonderful time piece and it always keeps its time well. My only fear is having it cleaned. I don't trust anyone here in the city.

undertaker

Practically Family
I know a great watch maker in Dalton, GA. He has been doing all of my major repairs and servicing for the past two years. If you are interested I can give you his contact info and I'm sure that he would do a good job for you. I think he already has some customers that ship in watches to him now. Just let me know.

Regards,
J.S.

Russ

One of the Regulars
Casual watch fobs with leather straps

When I wear a vest, like most folks I use a watch chain with the "T" bar in a button hole, but when I go without a vest, I obviously need a different solution, especially when wearing jeans.

Since I always wear button suspenders (braces) rather than belts I have always worn my regular watch chain with the watch "T" bar stuck in the button hole on the nearest suspender tab. The type of chain with belt hook doesn't look right to me when there is no belt.

Lately I have been looking at those little metal pocket watch fobs with leather straps which were specifically designed for the watch pocket on trousers and jeans. When were these popular? I see they were in use during the early 20th century, but were they around earlier (like during the Civil War)? Does anybody out there use these fobs? Is there a source where I could get a generic fob which does not advertise something? I am hesitant to become a walking advertisement, even if the company no longer exists.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here's one web site that describes them:

http://chandlercollection.com/fobs.html

I've done a forum search on this subject, and turned up nothing, which surprises me.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
You mean that you wouldn't be thrilled to walk around Tokyo with a "Peko-chan" watch fob?;)

But seriously, I'm interested in the fob idea. I've a nice pocket watch, but as of yet no vest to stick it in. The fob would do for me with trousers if I could locate a decent fob.

Russ

One of the Regulars
That epitomy of innocence Peko-chan is now embroiled in a scandal since they discovered her company Fuji-ya repeatedly used expired dairy products, forcing them to shut down all the stores, thus sweeping away every trace of Peko-chan from the Toyo streets.

To keep this on topic, yes a Peko-chan watch fob might be an interesting collector's item now, but I don't think I'd want to identify too closely with her :)

The only generic fobs I have seen on the net had cowboy motifs, and I'm trying hard to avoid the cowboy look. My hat, suspenders and boots (none of which are really cowboy style) already work against me in that regard.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
The Merged Looking for a Pocketwatch thread

Thinking about getting a new pocketwatch (I've had a few cheapo ones, but I want something that looks like it really came from the era) to go along with my adventure gear and just for regular carry. I don't really know where to look, so if anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

rongoms

Familiar Face
you simply cannot go wrong with the OPM Trading post.

Francine and Ray have been doing this stuff for decades and they are top-drawer folks!

You can find them here: OPM Trading Post

My last treasure from them:

WNYGG-27660. (1).jpg

CVMEE-27660. (9).jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Wow, a great story just popped into my mind.

A long long time ago my uncle gave me a family pocketwatch. It was truly incredible; I think it was made in 1910 - and it had my family crest on the back of it.

Most likely it was made somwhere in Italy, as that's where my family is from.

Sadly enough, just last year I dropped the thing and broke the front glass portion.

It still works (and there's no doubt that the glass can be replaced) but nevertheless I've never been happy about doing what I did.

Hopefully I'll be able to repair it soon.

I'll try to post some pictures of it later.

Pantherman

New in Town
How to wear a pocket watch?

Anyone have any pictures from the 20's-40's showing how a man with a vested suit wore a pocket watch? I thought that it went from one pocket across the vest to the other, but I'm not sure.

Pantherman

Feraud

Bartender
Wearing it depends on the style of the chain itself. Some chains are a double length with a "t" connector or a hook. These would be worn with the ends in both pockets and the middle connected.
Single chains are worn in one pocket with the chain hooked into the buttonhole.
There are also fobs that hang from the pocket.

I will try to find some pics.

Dagwood

Practically Family
You may want to check out the Michael Shayne movies (staring Lloyd Nolan). He used to wear a pocket watch and swing it around.

Sir RBH

A-List Customer
Pantherman said:
Anyone have any pictures from the 20's-40's showing how a man with a vested suit wore a pocket watch? I thought that it went from one pocket across the vest to the other, but I'm not sure.

Pantherman

Hello there

There are different types of watch chain.. but the one i prefer is the Double Albert which has the T bar in the centre, to be placed through the button hole on my waistcoat. On the Chain i have a Fob (sovereign case) and on the other side is my pocket watch..
http://www.fogeygentleman.co.uk/bowler1.jpg
http://www.fogeygentleman.co.uk/index.htm

manton

A-List Customer
What a fob hole on the vest? That's something certain Savile Row firms will do even if you don't ask for it. Over here, you not only have to ask, you have to explain what it is.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
For a single albert the classic way, with a s/b waistcoat at least, seems to have been t-bar through highest buttonhole of waistcoat and watch in lowest pocket. However there was no fixed rule, and different ways of wearing were observable. Personally, I always go for the highest buttoning point, but place the watch in an upper or lower pocket as comfort dictates, largely dependent upon where I am wearing the silver cigarette case which serves as my wallet. With this stroller, for instance, the pocket watch is in the upper left pocket to compensate for the low-slung cigarette case:

Picture012.jpg

The double-albert lends itself to a lower positioning and also to double-breasted waistcoats and is ideal for the fob hole as Manton mentions.

Another interesting tack, as illustrated by a plate on p.47 of Woody Hochswender's "Men in Style", should you have access to a copy, is the wearing of a watch in the breast pocket, suspended either by a short chain or leather strap

Feraud

Bartender
Wearing a watch chain can be as individual as wearing a hat or tie.
The fun part is choosing a fob for the chain. There are coins, gemstones, cameos, lockets, spinners, fraternal emblems, etc.
If I remember to do so tonight I will scan a page from a Sears catalog that shows many chain and fob styles.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko