Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
My experience is that you have to work the dickens out of the stuff to make it blend well with your hair. As much as I've tried to emulsify Murray's with my fingers, it still comes up as little flecks in my hair. I've only tried it on damp hair, though. Maybe better results with dry hair?

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
The Murray's website has tips on how to use their products. Mostly to remove it from the hair though. They do mention the can was made of metal in the early days so that it could be heated on the stove top, but they don't reccomend that now.
Try using a hair dryer to heat a small amount. Remember that this stuff is meant to be left in for a while, so it doesn't come out easilly.

Chad

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed!

..........I'd use a blow dryer to melt it a little. It will solidify shortly thereafter. I can't think of another way to get it evenly though your hair.
flat-top

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
I have had some luck heating the tin under running water. I'm finding that it works better if I swirl my finger on the surface of the warmed pomade, then run a 'streak' of it in my hair. I'm going to pick myself up a metal comb, and try heating it under hot water to help move the stuff around. I tryed dipping my comb in it, then combing it into my hair. Abject failure.

I will say, it holds like nothing I've ever seen before(I can shake my head like mad and no movement), and it isn't "crunchy". I've used Dippity-Do in the past, but I find it solidifies. Which is generally fine, but over time it gets broken up and ceases to hold. With Murray's, I can just comb my hair again and everything's back the way it should be.

elsewhere

Familiar Face
My husband takes a swirl of it onto his comb and heats it up with a hairdryer and continues to to use the hairdryer on it as he's combing it through his hair.

He gets pretty good results that way :)

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Rather then heat the whole tin, I remove the lid and then move the inverted tin over an open flame (such as a candle ) in a circular motion for about 20 seconds or so. Then I remove a few fingers worth and work it through my hair. You have to take it easy otherwise it feels as though you are going to scalp yourself! After that I apply a bit of Tres Fleurs brilliantine. It breaks up the hold of Murrays a bit so I can get a comb or brush through it, plus it adds a nice shine.
Getting it out is the difficult part, so I ususally leave it in, adding a bit more each day for touch ups, for 3-4 days before washing my hair again. I find that standard dish washing liquid works the best to remove it!
I insisted that all of my groomsman style their hair using this method for my recent vintage themed wedding and it worked out very well. None of these guys are into the Golden Era so there was a lot of bellyaching going on while they applied it!
Wedding4-vi.gif

We all got a lot of compliments about the look throughout the night.
PBG

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I've been using Murray's for thirteen years. I just run the open can under a hot tap for thirty or forty seconds and douse my hands and scalp with said hot water before scooping and applying, then comb away. Hell on a pillow case, but grand stuff.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Another option is to start with Murray's Super Light. It is a lot easier to work with because it isn't as thick and hard. You can basically scoop it up with your fingers at room temperature and work it in without a comb. The hold is not quite as good but it washes out in a couple of days with just ordinary shampoo.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
Vintage Royal Crown

This one's for all the hair people out there...

I got a tin of Royal Crown Pomade the vintage is unknown but I'd suspect it to be from the 50s or early 60s(with a price marked 29 cents). The tin is still full with the original product and aside from not smelling like the new stuff it looks exactly the same, and appears to have the same consistancy as the Royal Crown Hairdressing. I'm yet to actually see a modern tin of Royal Crown Pomade but I wonder how similar the pomade is to the hairdressing.

It's pretty cool that this stuff is still made by the J. Strickland Co.

b5_1.JPG

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would say that tin is from the 50's. Also, I think the "hairdressing" and the "pomade" are the same thing..just marketed to different people. I collect vintage pomades and waxes and have a few things that are the same product with different names. On the flipside, Lucky Tiger made all different things, and called them all Butch Wax! There was a mousse like one in a can, and I actually own a bottle of hair tonic called, you guessed it, LIQUID Butch Wax!!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mmm, vintage pomade! Say, have you tried some of that yet? I would be so tempted to try something like that... since it's the same thing after all those years... I'd try it once just to say I did... then, put it on the shelf and let it age some more.

It is really nice to see that some things really don't change after all these years... only the design of the time has changed some what, it's still the same logo and colors... amazing!

I use Royal Crown when I get all dressed up... it works well for me but, man, some times I wish there was a better way of getting that stuff out of my hair then say using dish soap.lol

=WR=

FredDairy

Familiar Face
Flat-top, and Wild-root,
Maybe Royal Crown Pomade and Royal Crown Hairdressing are the same thing, but I've heard they are not. However, that was just from reading on discussion forms like this. They definatly come in two different tins.
andy1005.gif

Royalcrown.JPG

I'm tempted about trying, buy my maternal grandfather is bald, and I don't need to quicken any of nature's natural processes right now lol. Even the font on the vintage tin says "an exclusive formula" in the same font as it does on the new tin. Both the hairdressing and vintage pomade have the same ingridents.

I get Royal Crown to wash out with suave shampoo, it's the cheapest stuff around here. The secret is to put the shampoo in your hair before it gets wet.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
The ingredients in the pomade and the dressing are the same, so presumably they are the same thing. I have two vintage cans of RC that I use now and then, but the fragrance is gone. BEWARE wearing this stuff in the sun. It can accelerate the burning of your scalp. Ouch!

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
something from the rumor mill...

i heard that the people from Murray's have acquired the Sweet Georgia Brown label and will be re-releasing SGB pomades soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto