Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PORTIS HATS

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
I WAS ON EBAY A WHILE AGO , AND I SAW A HAT FROM A COMPANY CALLED PORTIS HATS . I'VE NEVER HEARD OF IT. IT LOOKED GOOD ,BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE .
ANY INFO OUT THERE ABOUT THE COMPANY ?

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I don't know their history but I've seen numerous Portis hats, both on ebay and in person. They are a decent vintage hat, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if it were my style, size and price.

fedoralover

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Portis was another of many hats factories that existed during the 1930's to the 1960's . I believe they were from the midwest . They did a lot of advertising in magazines such as Esquire and Colliers .The quality was decent . They went by the name "Portis Brothers "

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

besdor said:
I WAS ON EBAY A WHILE AGO , AND I SAW A HAT FROM A COMPANY CALLED PORTIS HATS . I'VE NEVER HEARD OF IT. IT LOOKED GOOD ,BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE .
ANY INFO OUT THERE ABOUT THE COMPANY ?

Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Portis made great hats and if you get one in your size you are a lucky man. If it is reasonably priced---BUY IT.

Regards,

J

MattC

A-List Customer
I've got one from the 40s or early 50s

I think they began to get a little lower on the totem pole. I think of what became the Norwalk hatters--the hats actually made down on the sound, Cavanagh, Knox and Dobbd--as the best, and the Danbury hatters--up in the valley, Lee, Mallory--as good basic hats, but not with felt as good as the other 3. My late Portis seems to put it in the Danbury group. Much earlier, the Danbury hats--Mallory esp--were as good as they got. I think.

ii-5-i

New in Town
IF YOU FIND A DECENT ONE, BUY IT!

It's been a while since I posted a comment on one of the best sites on the web.

I bought a Portis "Stratoliner" clone off ebay last year. It is a tan color hat with a 2 7/8" brim. I'm no hat maven by any standard but this hat stands up to any vintage Borsolino (1948), Open Road Stetson (1959), Knox (50's) or Dobbs (50's) in my closet. I would have no hesistation recommending a Portis to any of my friends.

The little research I did turned up the fact that the company was founded by 3 or 4 Portis brothers in the 1920s. They were based in Chicago and then moved manufacturing across the lake to western Michigan. I think they were in business until the early 50s.

My hat was originally purchased from a store called "Buttrey's" in Missoula, Montana so their distribution must have been decent.

I wish I could post a photo of it now but the logistics this evening prevent me from doing so.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Portis eagle

I had what must have been a 50s stingy Portis a while back.
Nice felt, but not my style. I no longer have the hat, but for
some reason I do still have the metal eagle pin that came
with it.

If some Portis wearer on the Lounge would like a Portis
eagle pin for his hat band, PM me with your address and
I'll pop it in the mail. First come, first served, of course.

Frank chops

New in Town
I worked in in a upscale men's store in the 40's when I was a high school student. Dobbs 20 and Mallory hats were are top lines and we carried Portis hats that were a less expensive option. The Mallory was made from Belgium hare fur that never loss their shape. Although more popular, Dobbs wasn't on the same par as th Mallory. We also , sold homburgs, sailor straws and hand made Panamas. The price ranged from 10.00 to 25.00.

buler

I'll Lock Up
I worked in in a upscale men's store in the 40's when I was a high school student. Dobbs 20 and Mallory hats were are top lines and we carried Portis hats that were a less expensive option. The Mallory was made from Belgium hare fur that never loss their shape. Although more popular, Dobbs wasn't on the same par as th Mallory. We also , sold homburgs, sailor straws and hand made Panamas. The price ranged from 10.00 to 25.00.

Welcome, Frank. You should start a new thread... "I sold hats in the 40's" and tell us more about it!

B

Frank chops

New in Town
To add to my first comment about selling hats in the 40's I mentioned that our line of
Mallory, Dobbs and Portis price range was 10.00 to 25.00 which back then in some cases was a weeks wage. With the top line you had your choice of a free feather for you hat band, otherwise it cost a quarter. But in most cases, I would throw one in on the house. All hats came un-blocked individually boxed. And as each hat was removed from the box, you would brush it with a price of serge cloth to inhance the nap. The customer also had a choice of a plain, bound, welt or reversed welt brim edge.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
To add to my first comment about selling hats in the 40's I mentioned that our line of
Mallory, Dobbs and Portis price range was 10.00 to 25.00 which back then in some cases was a weeks wage. With the top line you had your choice of a free feather for you hat band, otherwise it cost a quarter. But in most cases, I would throw one in on the house. All hats came un-blocked individually boxed. And as each hat was removed from the box, you would brush it with a price of serge cloth to inhance the nap. The customer also had a choice of a plain, bound, welt or reversed welt brim edge.

please post more

I want to just pull up a chair and listen to you talk about this subject all day

please chime in with any memories that pop into your head ... or better yet make a thread

do you have any pictures from when you worked in the store?

I want to hear about how many hats you guys would sell per day ... what was the purchasers process like compared to today ... did you have regular customers you knew by name .... things like that

please tell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points