Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post '30s belt-back jackets and suits

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
The '70s does the '30s

The '70s spawned some horrid stuff: plastic pants, leisure suits, bell bottoms.
But they weren't totally bad. There was a revival of Golden Era stying early on, often done poorly but sometimes done well.

I want to see your '70s suit imitations of the '30s.

My two:

The lapels on this one are an indicator of its origin (wide, lots of belly, low button stance).
003-13.jpg

004-12.jpg

006-5.jpg

Similar in styling to:
1930scrazyactionbacksuit.jpg

New find from today, conservative looking from the front:
70sjacket001.jpg

Full blown '30s belted style going on in the back:
70sjacket002.jpg

70sjacket003.jpg

Both of mine are poly blend so they don't look nor feel like polyester. The second one actually looks and drapes like fairly heavy gabardine.

Show us yours.

Geesie

Practically Family
The other day at a Goodwill I saw what was probably a 70s does 30s suit. Nice heavy wool tweed, patch pockets, trim silhouette. I really, really wanted to buy it but the pants had an odd fit which I think was a 70s giveaway.

Now, I'm 6'2" and have a 30 inch waist and these pants were too tight. The length was correct, but the waist was just a touch snug - but the legs were really tight until the bottom. -sigh-

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Geesie said:
The other day at a Goodwill I saw what was probably a 70s does 30s suit. Nice heavy wool tweed, patch pockets, trim silhouette. I really, really wanted to buy it but the pants had an odd fit which I think was a 70s giveaway.

Now, I'm 6'2" and have a 30 inch waist and these pants were too tight. The length was correct, but the waist was just a touch snug - but the legs were really tight until the bottom. -sigh-

'70s trousers are usually 'wrong'. Everything about them is purely '70s. But the jackets are often good.

Both of my jackets use to belong to 3-piece suits...

edit: if I remember correctly, Feraud or one of the other 'big names' use to have a '70s 3-piece that was pretty much done perfectly. I wonder if they could post pics of it.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I was very much hoping that Binkie would post his photos from the era here, and oui la, there they are. Wonderful stuff.

I'm never in a position where I can spend little to nothing on a suit just to take the jacket, I mostly only have access to the internet to find my clothing thus it is a tad too expensive. But ah well.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm hoping to get some input from the experts here. I just purchased my first vintage beltback jacket, and I'd like some help in dating it.

It's lightweight, probably cotton, and has no union labels that I can find. But I've taken some (not so great) photos below that I hope will prove helpful.

Any idea how old this jacket might be?

front.jpg
back.jpg
action.jpg
lapel.jpg
lining.jpg
cuff.jpg
label.jpg
fabric.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dakotanorth

Practically Family
I agree with Dinerman- namely, it has a center vent in the back. This wasn't done in the 30's.
Plus the fabric just looks a bit "looser"- it wasn't shaped so meticulously as they were in the 30's.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I'd agree with Dinerman, more 1970 than 1930.

I agree with Dinerman- namely, it has a center vent in the back. This wasn't done in the 30's.
Plus the fabric just looks a bit "looser"- it wasn't shaped so meticulously as they were in the 30's.

The center vent was done, just not as often. King Kong, 1933.
KingKong1933.jpg

The 'tells' are the lapel shape and the pocket flaps. The belted back made a come back in the late '60s, sometimes done well and other times not. This example looks decent.

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
What thunderw21 said. The lapel shape, lack of a lapel buttonhole, presence (and size) of the vent, the type of lining, and pocket flaps are the big tells. The label, type of lining, placement of the breast pocket, etc. are smaller clues.

But the differences are all pretty subtle, really. Have a tailor close the vent, pair it with the right things and it will probably look great. I never pass these '60s belt backs up when I run across them thrifting. They may not be the '30s ones, but most of the time they put interesting, and sometimes very nice twists on the style.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
But the differences are all pretty subtle, really. Have a tailor close the vent, pair it with the right things and it will probably look great. I never pass these '60s belt backs up when I run across them thrifting. They may not be the '30s ones, but most of the time they put interesting, and sometimes very nice twists on the style.

I was thinking I might have the pocket flaps removed, and yes, I might have the vent closed. Is it doable/advisable to have the lapels reshaped, perhaps by making them a bit narrower?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, 1968 is right about the time that "Bonnie and Clyde" hit the movie theaters. There was a huge,
( but all too brief) resurgence of 1930's fashion styles as a result of the movie's popularity.
All too soon it was overtaken by the 70's hippie, polyester, paisley-print Carnaby Street thing though. Sadly enough. :eusa_doh:

Derek WC

Banned
Adding on to what I said earlier, if you decide to have a tailor do it (I don't know if you sew), you might want to ask him to do some top stitching on the edges, as this was done with most coats from the 30's.

GBR

One of the Regulars
It has a modern look to it so I would concur 1960s and certainly nothing earlier.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
It definitly looks like a 1960's does 1930's sportcoat. The biggest hint alone for me is that half liner, plus the 2 buttons on each cuff, which existed in the '30s but very common in the '60s. With the raritiy of origional 1930's belted back jackets, finding ones from the '60s is still a great find as the quality of clothes was still quite proficient.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112