Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post-Apocalyptic Films of the 80's

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
mullets of the future

I definitely remember that video.
I always liked how Petty winces at the old BattleStar Galactica scenes on the tv.

It was interesting that the song says nothing of the imagery , but the mood all works.

Hmmm, its starting to remind me of FIREFLY, now that I see it again.

OK, heres a littl `80s fun
RickSpringfield in 2019

A.R. McVintage

Feraud said:
Blade Runner fits the dictionary definition of an apocalypse.
In the film the humans who can afford it are leaving Earth due to environmental issues.
Also, the movie did not fully explore this plotline but animals are all but extinct. This is why the Tyrell Corp. makes animal replicants like the owl.

It reads like an apocalyptic situation to me.

Then we fit the definition of an apocalypse. Panda bears are all but gone, gas is nearing five dollars and scientists say the arctic will be a melt this summer.

lol

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jake_fink said:
This is earlier than 80s, but my 9 year old self loved it: Damnation Alley

Damnation_Alley_1977.jpg

For many years, the "Damnation Alley" RV sat parked right above the Hollywood Freeway, maybe a mile away from the Hollywood Bowl.

Here's what I saw: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1532600279046838361dKaDSn

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
post apoc Saturday morning for kids.

I thought that was the same vehicle used in the `76 Saturday morning show ARK II.
ArkII.jpg

For millions of years, Earth was fertile and rich. Then pollution and waste began to take their toll. Civilization fell into ruin. This is the world of the 25th century. Only a handful of scientists remain. Men who have vowed to rebuild what has been destroyed… This is their achievement… Ark II, a mobile storehouse of scientific knowledge, manned by a highly trained crew of young people. Their mission: to bring the hope of a new future to mankind.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ark_II
But it seems they are not...

Damnation's Landmaster:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmaster
Landmaster.jpg

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XtflAuKvnbA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XtflAuKvnbA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

w9cg08.jpg

Leesensei

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
For many years, the "Damnation Alley" RV sat parked right above the Hollywood Freeway, maybe a mile away from the Hollywood Bowl.

Here's what I saw: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/1532600279046838361dKaDSn

That picture is taken beside the Dean Jefferies custom car shop. Dean built the vehicle from Damnation Alley. He also built my favorite car from TV. The green Hornet's Black Beauty!

BB1021.jpg

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
A.R. McVintage said:
You're the one who claimed they came out in the early nineties. A very eye-rollable error, especially from someone trying hard to prove a point. Mistakes that blatant and having a defendable point don't go together.

Oh, my, ad hominem! how wonderful lol lucky you, I won't hold it against you :p so I won't think that everything you say in the future is wrong ;)

I personally agree with MrBern and Feraud :p and of course Bladerunner is my favourite post-apocalyptic movie :p

I also remember a movie I saw when I was quite young, so it could very well be from the 80's. I have a very faded memory of it.
It was definitely post-apocalyptic, about... I think a couple of brothers? that survived a nuclear blast, in the 50's or thereabouts, by hiding in a bunker with their parents, who at some point died. The first part of the movie was very dark, set in the bunker. It comes to the point that they can come out of the bunker, and they give eachother a 50's haircut and come out dressed in that fashion too, to find a world a la Mad Max.... anyone know what am I talking about? I don't even know if the movie was any good lol

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
The Bedford Incident, is a great one. Hard to find though.

Richard Widmark plays a hardened cold-warrior and captain of the American destroyer USS Bedford. Sidney Poitier is a reporter given permission to interview the captain during a routine patrol. The Bedford discovers a Soviet sub in the depths and the captain begins a relentless pursuit, pushing his crew to the breaking point.

Fail Safe, and Dr Strangelove, of course.

There's another obscure one called, Twilight's Last Gleaming. Haven't seen it for a looooong time.

A renegade USAF general, Lawrence Dell (Burt Lancaster), escapes from a military prison and takes over an ICBM silo near Montana and threatens to provoke World War 3

My favorite Day-Before-the-Apocalypse movie....Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

Walter Pidgeon starred as Admiral Harriman Nelson, with Robert Sterling as Captain Lee Crane. Joan Fontaine, Michael Ansara, Peter Lorre, Frankie Avalon, and Barbara Eden, in uniform ;)

Mav

A-List Customer
For post- apocalyptic flicks of the 80's, Road Warrior was my favorite. But, overall, you can't beat Panic in the Year Zero. Yeah, yeah, not really post- apocalyptic, more duck- and- cover 60's, but it's got Ray Milland, old cars, a big aluminum- sided camper, lever action rifles, and giving the bad guys their karmaic due. Plus, you can watch it online at NetFlix. Or, if you rent it, it comes as half of a double feature with Vincent Price in the first film version of Matheson's "I am Legend." Although Chuck Heston's "Omega Man" is better, but just as cheesy.

Leading upto the post apocolyptic time is the film "Miracle Mile."
The story of a guy that gets accidentally gets a call from a young nuke missle launch crew member who has mis-dialed his dad's phone number, oh, and it's really bad news.

xwray

Familiar Face
Would Soylent Green be considered post apocalyptic...no atomic war that I remember, just populating ourselves to death.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Dystopias

Wow, this thread is making me miss my VCR.

Does anyone The Max Headroom tv series? It was rather Bladerunner-esque
MaxheadroomMpegMan.jpg

So has anyone seen the recent post-apoc movies The Road , or Book of Eli ?

Zombieland was good for a few laughs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko