Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post-Apocalyptic Films of the 80's

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I saw both The Road and Book of Eli.

In Book of Eli, it was an okay premise, looked great, but what I adored was seeing Denzel Washington and Tom Waits' scenes together. So delightful!

LD

Mav

A-List Customer
Lady Day said:

In Book of Eli, it was an okay premise, looked great, but what I adored was seeing Denzel Washington and Tom Waits' scenes together. So delightful!

LD
Book of Eli just got moved to the top of my NetFlix queue yesterday. Don't really care that much about Washington (although he's probably one of the better modern actors out there), but anything having to do with with ancient sacred texts and Armageddon sounds like a romantic evening of movie watching.

Well, for me- my wife will hate it.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Mad Max reboot.

Back in 2001, I read that the rights to Mad Max were won back by the original writer/director. A script was immediately completed & Mel Gibson wouldve filmed. But it wouldve filmed in the MiddleEast. So all those plans were abandoned after 9/11. And then later Gibson felt he was getting too old & fat to play Max.
SAD!!!!!

But it looks like the current plans are underway for the new reboot, FURY ROAD:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=1034772&postcount=103

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
flat-top said:
Oh, and here's your new Mad Max, Tom Hardy:
tom_hardy_5180412.jpg

Is that him? Gee he looks different. I recall he played the villain in StarTrek:Nemesis, as well as a young soldier in Band of Brothers, and BlackHawkDown. But I guess that was all several years ago

4ae0456e70034-1.jpg

bobac_Janovek1.jpg

Story

I'll Lock Up
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/afp/20100722/tap-entertainment-australia-film-madmax-5a1703c.html

SYDNEY (AFP) - – Heavy rains have delayed shooting for "Mad Max 4" after turning the Australian Outback action film set from a dust bowl into lush green pastures, a report said on Thursday.

Broken Hill, the desolate setting for the film and usually bone-dry, has been transformed into a verdant oasis by the downpours, which have broken a decade-long drought in parts of the country.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
flat-top said:
Agreed. Road Warrior is the best, and Beyond Thunderdome (with the exception of it's Ewok-ish second act), has some great moments as well.

Haha, yeah, those scenes always irked me. But the first half of Thunderdome was great!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MrBern said:
Back in 2001, I read that the rights to Mad Max were won back by the original writer/director. A script was immediately completed & Mel Gibson wouldve filmed. But it wouldve filmed in the MiddleEast. So all those plans were abandoned after 9/11. And then later Gibson felt he was getting too old & fat to play Max.
SAD!!!!!

But it looks like the current plans are underway for the new reboot, FURY ROAD:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=1034772&postcount=103
The future looks grim:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/arts/mad-max-sequel-delayed-again/story-e6frg8pf-1225936195121

Edward

Bartender
Lady Day said:

LD

...Eli I've not seen. The Road I saw just last week - probably the most convincing depiction of a post-Apocalyptic "society" I have ever seen on screen.

flat-top said:
Agreed. Road Warrior is the best, and Beyond Thunderdome (with the exception of it's Ewok-ish second act), has some great moments as well.

Oddly enough, it was the first one I considered by far the best. The sequels lost something to me - perhaps because they had a bigger budget, there wasn't the same pressure to be creative with no resources... It was from the second one that they became something much less gritty and more fantasy oriented to me. Not that they weren't entertaining, but I just found them somewhat disappointing by comparison to the first. The second I can still watch - the third, well. The bit with the kids (your 'ewoks', right? lol) I actually found interesting: the notion of a generation growing up who had never seen anything else, returned to the primative, the evolution of their rituals, and so on. The bit that I find doesn't bear repeated watching is the whole Bartertown sequence with Tina Turner. On the whole, the sequels look very dated and cliched to me, though to be fair that may not have been the case at the time.

Edward

Bartender
flat-top said:

Now that's something to get excited about. If they think less 'comic book' and more Blade Runner, it could be great... The tone of recent comic book based films, especially the Nolan Batman films, is perfect for Dredd. There were elements of the first one I liked, but it was flawed in many respects. That they are clear Dredd will not remove his helmet in this one suggests to me that they are bang on the right track. I also hope for a uniform that is, while within the bounds of 'realism' that they have set, much closer to the original design than Stallone's was.

fnoprx

Familiar Face
Re. Tom Hardy as the new Mad Max - if you have seen him in "Bronson" you will know the kind of intensity he is capable of. Terrific movie, amazing performace. And of course directed by a fellow Dane, Nicolas Winding Refn :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana