Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
That Stetson stampede is a nice find. Looks like acorn in the photo. I believe it is early seventies.
A lot of potential there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks D-Dog. Acorn sounds right.

Selentino. Nice, but not purple, which it was the reason I purchased it. Still a nice blue.
Nice blue hat. Very blue in the photos.

The Goodwill here has been dry for hats this Halloween. But it has coughed up some caps. Yesterday I found this Canadian Army wool serge cap that has the added attraction of being the same age as me.
DSCN5077 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN5078 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Plastic tip protector and some sort of flannel or felt lining.
DSCN5076 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Internal ear flaps and adjustable leather neck strap
DSCN5084 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I think this will be a favorite cold weather biking choice this year.

Michael

IMG_1696.PNG My blue (allegedly purple) hat next to my pumpkin orange. That guy has some crazy colors!

Selentino. Nice, but not purple, which it was the reason I purchased it. Still a nice blue.
My "purple" hat arrived today too. Sure looks blue to me.

The Goodwill here has been dry for hats this Halloween. But it has coughed up some caps. Yesterday I found this Canadian Army wool serge cap that has the added attraction of being the same age as me.

Michael
Cool, I like it.

View attachment 87215 My blue (allegedly purple) hat next to my pumpkin orange. That guy has some crazy colors!
I'm actually glad it came out blue rather than purple. I am concerned on what the other colors will actually be. I'm waiting for the seller to ship a light blue and a brown hat. I guess I feel that for this price I'm willing to take chances.

Michael
What a great cap! I particularly like how it isn't over the top military. It should keep you warm too. I'll have to start looking for one of these.

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Cool, I like it.

What a great cap! I particularly like how it isn't over the top military. It should keep you warm too. I'll have to start looking for one of these.
Thanks guys. I think I'll like this one. I've been trying to decipher the design so I could make a few in other fabrics, but there are a lot of hidden parts in the assembly. Also I've found this photographed as a nurses field dress cap, but also described as just a field dress cap, so I don't know if it was solely a nurses hat or more widely used.

Thanks,
Michael

Hückel Weilheim "Derby", 58cm probably later 1950s. I really like the form and high side dents. Also really like the ribbon felt color contrast. Hückel Weilheim made fantastic looking Homburgs.

36668837033_03a70beb55_b.jpg

37338201961_ae3b538ef0_b.jpg

37291137856_bbc6695141_b.jpg

37338300651_0469200b9b_b.jpg

23486985448_defc594016_b.jpg

36629128854_5f23990524_b.jpg

36669179143_81871b4941_b.jpg
Spectacular! That is the perfect dove grey too.
Do you think the side dents were put there by the factory or do you think a previous owner added them?

Hard to follow such a great homburg, but here goes... The early Cavanagh derby arrived yesterday. I took it to Mike Miller and we looked it over. This is one odd bird from the early days of John Cavanagh Ltd. It has the original store address, 247 Park Avenue, New York. It has many unusual features, a pleated lining, an adjustable sweat and a little ring at the back of the brim. We think it must have been for equestrian use. It is hard as a rock and HEAVY! It tips the scale at 11.3 oz. The mfg tag is from C & K, which I have seen on the Derby and Bowler thread described from Professor Bowers as early. I hope there are some Cavanagh gurus that have some ideas on this one. I would put it at the early end of production, 1926. The stitching on the sweat is toast, not a fix within Mike's view. There will be other detail shots on the Derby thread. I think this one will be a display piece.

26Sep17 John Cavanagh Ltd in case.jpg
26Sep17 John Cavanagh sweat logo.jpg
26Sep17 John Cavanagh liner detail.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Hard to follow such a great homburg, but here goes... The early Cavanagh derby arrived yesterday. I took it to Mike Miller and we looked it over. This is one odd bird from the early days of John Cavanagh Ltd. It has the original store address, 247 Park Avenue, New York. It has many unusual features, a pleated lining, an adjustable sweat and a little ring at the back of the brim. We think it must have been for equestrian use. It is hard as a rock and HEAVY! It tips the scale at 11.3 oz. The mfg tag is from C & K, which I have seen on the Derby and Bowler thread described from Professor Bowers as early. I hope there are some Cavanagh gurus that have some ideas on this one. I would put it at the early end of production, 1926. The stitching on the sweat is toast, not a fix within Mike's view. There will be other detail shots on the Derby thread. I think this one will be a display piece.

View attachment 87280 View attachment 87281 View attachment 87282
A real interesting find, Red. Very cool indeed!

Not a new hat, but really an all new hat, as you will see. I picked up an old Brent OR Clone a while back that came in moth eaten condition. I took it to Mike at NW Hats for a restoration. Wow! A new hat! Even though the moths had their way with this Brent, some magic of a new ribbon and a trimmed brim with a whipstitch treatment made this one a new daily driver. Fits like a custom, and feels "right" now.

26Sep17 Brent NW Refurb open crown.jpg
25Sep17 Brend NW Refurb crease front.jpg
26Sep17 Brent NW Refurb liner.jpg
26Sep17 Brent NW Refurb Whipstitch.jpg
And... did I mention whipstitch :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points