Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
The first time I cleaned one I left it in for a couple of hours, but now I don't go much past 1/2 to one hour. Seems like the fuel will do what it is supposed to by that amount of time and the long soak is not much more effective. About half-way through I take a soft bristle tooth brush (or larger) or a hat sponge to the stubborn spots. I would probably be better served by buying nicer hats!
Thanks Bob.

I know what you mean about buying better hats...... I'm there with ya. But we're always looking for a deal and it is fun to bring a hat back to life, so to speak. :)

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Most regulars here know I will occasionally mix things up in my rotation with a Tyrol. Must be something in my German heritage that draws me to them. Normally I pass up American made ones without a second thought. After all, there are so many much better quality ones available from German and Austrian makers, often at better deals too. But, there was something about this Stetson, mislabeled a bowler, that caught my eye and made me check it out closer.

7824648a106f09b9104b4e4b857806e6.jpg
48df41fc7b454f346d978c792a8735dc.jpg

It was also being called a 3X Beaver Quality. There was this on the liner...

98f0b43216e77ff3f1c2d3d23ed1c4fb.jpg

But, then I saw this. Seller's pics were blurry, but I could make it out. My pic is better..

8f257ba72dbff3b7007766e803081ccf.jpg

All these hats I have, and this is my first nutria.

I like a Tyrol to have a simple rope trim without too much going on in the knots. This is nice.

3352a123a4414dbb90c97e714483b829.jpg

No tags to be found under the sweatband, just onionskin and a stitched in liner. The tip protector is the thinner plastic kind, not the thicker one I was expecting in a hat of this time period.

a79171272cec98397719d1550b839d1e.jpg

It had this pin on it. I pulled it off out of habit. The feathers were coming out of it anyway.

a65e2e663273a3c14f1e04722e354a37.jpg

Crown is 5" open, brim is 2". 103g. The felt is soft and malleable, with a finish that almost feels like a short cropped velour. Quite dense, and just something about it that is unlike anything else in my collection. I'm pretty sure it got the wrong liner, not the wrong sweat.
Head shot.

bbbed3d8f51343e83afdff4a3eb71b41.jpg
32b7ef59a981abd91ce612f14681eaff.jpg

Guessing this one is right around 1960. Any thoughts or opinions welcome!

Powered by happy thoughts

Most regulars here know I will occasionally mix things up in my rotation with a Tyrol. Must be something in my German heritage that draws me to them. Normally I pass up American made ones without a second thought. After all, there are so many much better quality ones available from German and Austrian makers, often at better deals too. But, there was something about this Stetson, mislabeled a bowler, that caught my eye and made me check it out closer.

But, then I saw this. Seller's pics were blurry, but I could make it out. My pic is better..

I like a Tyrol to have a simple rope trim without too much going on in the knots. This is nice.

No tags to be found under the sweatband, just onionskin and a stitched in liner. The tip protector is the thinner plastic kind, not the thicker one I was expecting in a hat of this time period.

It had this pin on it. I pulled it off out of habit. The feathers were coming out of it anyway.

Crown is 5" open, brim is 2". 103g. The felt is soft and malleable, with a finish that almost feels like a short cropped velour. Quite dense, and just something about it that is unlike anything else in my collection. I'm pretty sure it got the wrong liner, not the wrong sweat.
Head shot.

Powered by happy thoughts
Wow John, just wow. Such an interesting and quirky/cool find. I like your style.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
It was showed some times ago, but never in the appropriate threads
Vanzina Extra Extra. Size 5 or 7 1/8 in US. EU 57 centimeters
10fru4k.jpg

Color "Uranio" with ribbon "Ella" with some "fancy" finish to match the color of the felt
2iuz82a.jpg

The luster heather felt is dark grey finished short hair with a hint of white
2ag27ao.jpg

The brim, oversewn are 5 cm. and the low point crown is 11 centimeters
23uufm8.jpg

Made probably in the 1960s for Camere - Genova hats shop, now closed. It is new, never worn
It has white lining with the Vanzina brand.
htzn04.jpg

Felt is medium and malleable
28taqux.jpg

It is quite sure it was made after the Borsalino bought Vanzina and the production was very close to an high standard
This Vanzina "Uranio" is too tight for my head, so if you have the right size to wear it let me know with a PM

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks. I’m not very original and usually give Michael Gannon a photo/screenshoot from the Lounge that inspired me and then let him work out the details.
That's where we all start out. You see something you like, and have it made... except for a detail here and there to make it your own. And so it goes...

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Don't you love it when you receive a package that you forgot you ordered? That was my experience today, as I arrived home to find a Sterkowski box on my front doorstep. A Sterkowski? I had previously ordered a rabbit fur fedora from them late last year. Not long ago, when the weather threatened to turn Spring-like, I ordered a linen hat from them and promptly forgot about it.

Here, in all its glory, is my first hat of the Spring!

NewSterkowski1.jpg
NewSterkowski2.jpg
NewSterkowski3.jpg

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
My Herbert Johnson Poet came in today, and it surpassed my expectations. It's definitely a hat that comes alive when worn. It looks okay sitting idly, but it's more of a hat that looks fabulous when on your head. The fabric has a nice snap, too, and keeps its shape better than my Todd's Costumes Downtowner. This is clearly meant to be a hat, not a costume piece, which is sorta the feeling I've always gotten from my Downtowner. I was a little worried that it would come too stiff. I've read comments that have said newer ones can be stiff as cardboard, but mine is nice and supple, but not too supple that it loses its shape. Only problem right now is it was packaged with styrofoam peanuts so there's little styrofoam pills all over it. I can get that out with my hat brush, though.
MCMJDO0.png

t1r6YKw.jpg

IWUKbs4.jpg

dw47jUY.jpg

jvNXdEr.png

KNiGu3S.jpg

xATzhiI.jpg

Some worn shots. My Swedish is coming through in the last pic.
3Rtu8re.png

u8Xp1eL.png

t9L7O2o.png

My Herbert Johnson Poet came in today, and it surpassed my expectations. It's definitely a hat that comes alive when worn. It looks okay sitting idly, but it's more of a hat that looks fabulous when on your head. The fabric has a nice snap, too, and keeps its shape better than my Todd's Costumes Downtowner. This is clearly meant to be a hat, not a costume piece, which is sorta the feeling I've always gotten from my Downtowner. I was a little worried that it would come too stiff. I've read comments that have said newer ones can be stiff as cardboard, but mine is nice and supple, but not too supple that it loses its shape. Only problem right now is it was packaged with styrofoam peanuts so there's little styrofoam pills all over it. I can get that out with my hat brush, though.
MCMJDO0.png

t1r6YKw.jpg

IWUKbs4.jpg

dw47jUY.jpg

jvNXdEr.png

KNiGu3S.jpg

xATzhiI.jpg

3Rtu8re.png

u8Xp1eL.png

t9L7O2o.png
Congrats, Bushman! Talk about classic style.... I first saw that model in a H. Johnson catalogue that I requested and received by snail mail in 1971. I was in High school. It was classic then, it's classic now. Wear it in good health!!

RJR

MCMJDO0.png

t1r6YKw.jpg

IWUKbs4.jpg

dw47jUY.jpg

jvNXdEr.png

KNiGu3S.jpg

xATzhiI.jpg

3Rtu8re.png

u8Xp1eL.png

t9L7O2o.png
Good looking,congrats.

Head shot.

My guess is around 1960, Moe. What a SUPER find!

And, I don't know for certain, but don't the Tyrol hats REQUIRE those feathers, especially with that flamboyant curl on the top? And once you start hiking, you need to collect souvenir pins of all the mountains you top while wearing it. Fedoras Afield, HERE HE COMES!

Skip the lederhosen. Please.

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
My guess is around 1960, Moe. What a SUPER find!

And, I don't know for certain, but don't the Tyrol hats REQUIRE those feathers, especially with that flamboyant curl on the top? And once you start hiking, you need to collect souvenir pins of all the mountains you top while wearing it. Fedoras Afield, HERE HE COMES!

Skip the lederhosen. Please.
Thanks Charlie!
I'm just not a feather guy. Maybe I'll give it another try just for you! :)

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Congrats, Bushman! Talk about classic style.... I first saw that model in a H. Johnson catalogue that I requested and received by snail mail in 1971. I was in High school. It was classic then, it's classic now. Wear it in good health!!
Good looking,congrats.
Thanks, fellas! I actually just got done reworking the crease in front for a more "Raiders" look.
nIojlWr.jpg

Waiting for the steam to dry now. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21