Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Pics of Your Cafe Racer Jackets

ron521

One of the Regulars
The image of James Dean from the Schott website appears to have the zippers on top of the sleeve. Wearing my Schott or my Wilson, I cannot contort my arm enough to make the zipper achieve the position shown in the photo.
Could Schott be mistaken about the jacket James Dean is wearing?

I've also seen some Sears motorcycle jackets (Hercules brand?) which had zippers on top of the sleeve. Perhaps these were made by Buco?

home-slide01.jpg

Mojo1975

Sponsoring Affiliate
Aero Four-Pocket Cafe' Racer w/o full action back. Heavy black FQHH. Nickel hardware. The back is done more like the 1950s Beck and Schott jackets, which makes for a different, more "trim" back (I've attached a picture of the back).

44211_1669330414014_1259942369_1752669_3977172_n.jpg

44211_1669330454015_1259942369_1752670_1367298_n.jpg

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
Here's my Vanson Comet that I bought this spring. It still had the hang tag on it:D
It's still not broken in yet, it's been too hot to wear it until this week.
Buffalobars002.jpg

Buffalobars001.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
The TAD Gear jackets were made in a very limited run for the Usual Suspects gathering in Las Vegas in 2009.

If you contact Johnson Leathers (they actually made the jackets for TAD Gear) you might be able to have something similar made.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Found this thrifting today. Doesn't look like anyone really wore it.

Front
P1150394.jpg

One piece back
P1150401.jpg

Shoulders
P1150402.jpg

Extended storm flap to keep wind out when neck is snapped up.
P1150400.jpg

Snaps and texture of leather
P1150403.jpg

Lightning pocket zip
P1150399.jpg

Lightning main zip
P1150398.jpg

P1150371.jpg

Blue corduroy lined pockets- hand warmer and breast.
P1150381.jpg

Label
P1150384.jpg

Last edited:

blethook

One of the Regulars
Ill add my Aero Cafe racer in Tan steerhide to this thread also:
QUOTE]

Griff,
Nice jacket & perfect fit!!
I'm now thinking about getting one just like that :) Can you post close up pics of the tan steerhide? Can I ask as to how practical the jacket is with only two breast pockets?

Thanks,
B.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Here is the main thread about the jacket with loads of pics in different light.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?51156-Aged-Tan-Cafe-Racer-is-here&highlight=
The jacket is very orange, sometimes more then in the pictures but it can also be orange/brown depending on the light.

I love the look of only the top pockets, I think it makes the jacket look clean and the horizontal pockets add to making the jacket (and my chest)
look wider at the same time as they help keeping the panels flat in that area since the pockets are very hard due to the construction.
It can however make creases appear somewhat unnatural in a way because they have to go around the pockets, if you understand me.
I think in the end they are great because i hate creases going diagonal from the neck and out and they somewhat prevent this.

I never use my handwarmer pockets in my highwayman anyway other then warming my hands so the arent really missed.
I have 2 inside pockets in this jacket to make up for the lack of handwarmer pockets and the fact that the breastpockets arent really usefull
since the jacket is tight and the zippers are scratchy. I have 1 left and 1 right gun pocket and I specified thin pocket lining (i got white cotton drill which is perfect)

The main uncomfortable thing about the jacket is that the collar is kinda located alot forward so its not really comfortable having the head
all straight up, this is also due to the jacket being very very tight, and it may loosen up some with more wear.
The things I would have done different in a new jacket is:
* 2 panel arms, i love the 3-panel construction of the Highwayman, but this jacket would have benefitted from being more plain. (looks related)
* Satin lining in the sleeves. I really didnt want it because i wanted the jacket to last a lifetime, but the drill is a bit grabby and satin would have been nice.
* One piece back, this would also have made the jacket look alot cleaner. I love the clean look of the front and as it is now, its "a mess" of seams in the back.
The back is cool tho, no question about it, i just love the front better then the back.

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Here is the main thread about the jacket with loads of pics in different light.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?51156-Aged-Tan-Cafe-Racer-is-here&highlight=
The jacket is very orange, sometimes more then in the pictures but it can also be orange/brown depending on the light.

I love the look of only the top pockets, I think it makes the jacket look clean and the horizontal pockets add to making the jacket (and my chest)
look wider at the same time as they help keeping the panels flat in that area since the pockets are very hard due to the construction.
It can however make creases appear somewhat unnatural in a way because they have to go around the pockets, if you understand me.
I think in the end they are great because i hate creases going diagonal from the neck and out and they somewhat prevent this.

I never use my handwarmer pockets in my highwayman anyway other then warming my hands so the arent really missed.
I have 2 inside pockets in this jacket to make up for the lack of handwarmer pockets and the fact that the breastpockets arent really usefull
since the jacket is tight and the zippers are scratchy. I have 1 left and 1 right gun pocket and I specified thin pocket lining (i got white cotton drill which is perfect)

The main uncomfortable thing about the jacket is that the collar is kinda located alot forward so its not really comfortable having the head
all straight up, this is also due to the jacket being very very tight, and it may loosen up some with more wear.
The things I would have done different in a new jacket is:
* 2 panel arms, i love the 3-panel construction of the Highwayman, but this jacket would have benefitted from being more plain. (looks related)
* Satin lining in the sleeves. I really didnt want it because i wanted the jacket to last a lifetime, but the drill is a bit grabby and satin would have been nice.
* One piece back, this would also have made the jacket look alot cleaner. I love the clean look of the front and as it is now, its "a mess" of seams in the back.
The back is cool tho, no question about it, i just love the front better then the back.

The jacket looks and is great on you! Wore mine the other day for the first time and got a compliment on it.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Nice that you can wear it already. Its still snow here so a little early for me.
Now you gotta put some pics up :D we are all waiting :D

stelug

New in Town
25 years on the street, grased and clened by myself, and now daily re-sewed in pocket and linning. Have one wich was elder too but gave to my best friend.
30032011234.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Was just reading something on Tom of Finland when this image popped up. Did Brooks actually make a jacket like that, or is it a modification?

the-second-coming-of-tom-750x563.jpg

I'm posting it as a curiosity, wouldn't want to wear it. Yet...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112