Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Pics of Your Cafe Racer Jackets

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I came within a hair of buying this Steve McQueen from a friend of mine earlier this year.
STEVE MCQUEEN IN VA PARKING LOT.JPG VA PARKING LOT.JPG

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I don't get it, so people spend years/ decades knocking the lame newness of their stubborn jacket, and when finally their jacket look at its best, they decide to let it go to repeat the cycle again from the start... mind blows

I don't get it, so people spend years/ decades knocking the lame newness of their stubborn jacket, and when finally their jacket look at its best, they decide to let it go to repeat the cycle again from the start... mind blows

I don't think that many people like the aged look. I bought a few jackets for a dime because the sellers were convinced that their jackets were basically ruined - which they arguably were, but I guess it's not so easy for everyone to accept the fact that a serious signs of wear and use can be a big plus. Majority of people want their clothes to look new.
On the other hand, you've got eBay full of jackets that really are beyond any use, that the sellers try to peddle under 'vintage', 'aged' and 'cool'. The Schott above is absolutely perfect IMO, as the jacket appears to be in a great condition, but missing hardware, crusty old chewed up leather with ripped lining all over the jacket, ripped pockets, replaced zips, etc. is something I don't want to waste money on.

As for this particular jacket, I think I've already seen it on the bay a year or so ago... It's wonderful, in any case.

Peacoat

Bartender
When I try to open your pics, the message from Photobucket says your two images are linked incorrectly, and there is no way to open them.

I did open the link to Schott 141 you posted. That jacket is now retailing for $745. Seems like a lot of money for a Schott naked leather jacket. I think I paid about $400 for mine.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
When I try to open your pics, the message from Photobucket says your two images are linked incorrectly, and there is no way to open them.

I did open the link to Schott 141 you posted. That jacket is now retailing for $745. Seems like a lot of money for a Schott naked leather jacket. I think I paid about $400 for mine.

Don't know Peacoat, I'd pay $745 for one of those no problem. While the company is variable in its products and marketing the Schotts I own are incredibly well made and well patterned and having owned Aero and Johnson Leathers - I''m as happy with the Schotts as any of the others.

And, to be honest, even some of the guys here remember when Aero wasn't much more than that. All jacket makers doubled in price.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Yeh, the pricing went completly bananas in the past few years. Like 10% up each year. It appears we buy too many leather jackets and raise too much demand. Maybe we should get a "Who gets to buy where" list here on this forum and limit the amount of leather members are allowed to buy, to falsify the market demand and bring down the prices a bit. :D

lol Good idea. But then they'd just raise the prices even more in an attempt to get to the high fashion types. Which is what they're already doing... Our jackets have already entered the mainstream, and the fashion brands are all over it. Things have slowly been becoming vintage for some time now. Nowadays I would honestly have trouble finding a girl that's not wearing a Perfecto style jacket.

It's funny how internet can distort perception. Online, seems to me everyone knows about these jackets, leather properties, what it's all about. In the so called real life though, I swear I have not met a single person who even noticed any difference between two completely different jacket styles.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
IMO the best format for showing pictures here is to click "Upload a File" and download generally a thumbnail of a pic from my computer or IPhone rather than to use a website URL. I do frequently have to downsize pictures by copy/paste on my desktop, then downsize before uploading. I rarely, if ever, use Photobucket anymore as I have found it to be not particularly user friendly and loaded with potential viruses, etc.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
lol Good idea. But then they'd just raise the prices even more in an attempt to get to the high fashion types. Which is what they're already doing... Our jackets have already entered the mainstream, and the fashion brands are all over it. Things have slowly been becoming vintage for some time now. Nowadays I would honestly have trouble finding a girl that's not wearing a Perfecto style jacket.

It's funny how internet can distort perception. Online, seems to me everyone knows about these jackets, leather properties, what it's all about. In the so called real life though, I swear I have not met a single person who even noticed any difference between two completely different jacket styles.
exactly, my uncle praises how his mandarin style jacket/coat is so soft and made of the finest cow leather in the world
and when he brought it out...it was a lambskin :rolleyes: and it developed a small hole on the pocket on the waist/ hip where it touches the inside arm , I didn't say it to him though...

Edward

Bartender

It's easy to forget what a niche we are when it's so easy to connect onlnie nowadays. Pretty muh the same in a vast swathe of hobbyist areas.

In terms of price, most of the name makers around here have upped their price over the last decade. Schott always seemed overpriced in the UK, to me, comparing their US prices, but that's true of most things, especially if they are 'Made' in the US. HMRC has long turned a very stern eye on stuff coming in from the US.

Schott and Vanson are crazy all over EU. Vanson's just shy of a thousand Euros in Germany and so is Schott. Even the second hand stuff usually goes for a lot more than you'd get it in the States, but I guess avoiding the import hustle is worth it for some folk.

But it's all about the style, really... I wish more people would learn how fantastic some of the German MC jacket brands are - were, at least. But I guess they'd have to pop up in Tanaka's book first, eh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points