Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Practical uses for hats

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Besides being an item of fashion, I believe hats have some very practical uses:

1) Can protect the head from hitting into things above you. For example, if you're coming into a low doorway, rather than bump your head, your hat will sort of alarm you to the bump or cushion the blow. For fedoras and the like, the brim could serve as a bit of a cushion to a fall.

2) The obvious practical usage of a hat as protection against the cold or inclement weather; Others types of hats can provide some protection against the heat and keep dirt out of your face.

3) The historical usage of a hat to store things (for example, Lincoln storing his letters and important papers in his Topper)

4) Using your hat to take the glare off something you're trying to read (Got this from Hatless Jack--Wherein LBJ and another senator used their hats to shield Robert Frost's poem from the sun's glare so he could see it better.)

Anyone think of some other practical uses for a hat?

facade

A-List Customer

1) Can protect the head from hitting into things above you. For example, if you're coming into a low doorway, rather than bump your head, your hat will sort of alarm you to the bump or cushion the blow. For fedoras and the like, the brim could serve as a bit of a cushion to a fall.

2) The obvious practical usage of a hat as protection against the cold or inclement weather; Others types of hats can provide some protection against the heat and keep dirt out of your face.

3) The historical usage of a hat to store things (for example, Lincoln storing his letters and important papers in his Topper)

4) Using your hat to take the glare off something you're trying to read (Got this from Hatless Jack--Wherein LBJ and another senator used their hats to shield Robert Frost's poem from the sun's glare so he could see it better.)

Hats are actually a functional piece of clothing first, and a piece of fashion second. That is why, like other functional wear (coats, sunglasses etc.), one tends to look silly or ill-mannered when one wears a hat where it no longer serves a function beyond being a fashion accessory.

Another function of hats is to convey a sense of authority. That is why those in authority, popes, police, military etc., almost universally wear hats/headgear.

Hats are also good for thwapping a galloping horse or your dim-witted comedic side-kick.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

Getting flack at home for buying a hat :) All this sounds like an attempt to justify a hat purchase :) Hey, you saw it, you wanted it, it fit, and you bought it. Put it on your head and head out the door :) It don't matter WHY you bought it, you did !! Enjoy it !

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I wear a hat for a functional purpose first, and fashion, such as it is, second. My hair is thin and fine, so the hat helps keep me warm in the winter, keeps the sun off of my head in the summer, and keeps the rain out of my face when it's raining.

Tom

Sam Craig

One Too Many
You can fan a fire into flame, bring water to your horse, signal the cavalry that the Indians are about to charge, fan your horse to full speed, smack some pilgrim in the face or distract a gunfighter.

Or you can fan yourself, keep water off your back in the rain, signal your kids that they need to come eat, or distract someone who wants to talk about something boring and get them to talk about hats instead.

The best use for a hat, however, is to be fully dressed. Why would anyone leave the house without a hat? I have ... seriously ... never understood that. Even in high school when I had to leave it in my locker ... and had to LOCK the locker because I didn't want my hat stolen ... I wore a hat.

Not wearing a hat would rank right there with heading to work without shoes, as far as I am concerned.

Sam

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Keep the dew from settling on your head when sleeping in the great outdoors.
Keep sawdust from getting in your hair when using circular saw.
Keep sun out of eyes when driving as a good hat is a far better sun visor than what is fitted to trucks and cars.
Location device so your significant other can find you either by sight or by use of specific descriptive phrase containing "he is wearing a hat".
As a means for your aged dog with cataracts to know you and not bark at you as a stranger.
As a device to keep mobility in your neck via the contortions you do to keep hat on head in the wind when your hands are full.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
No facts to back this up, but I am sure some place in history a small hand pistol no and again, found it's way to be hidden in a hat, and maybe other items that no one wanted to be "in sight", were hidden away.

I personally wear a hat due to liking them and like how I look wearing a hat. Now for my nice hats, fedora's, I have been prone to wanting to keep them as nice and clean as I can, and not have to worry about "fixing" them, so I am hesitant to let them get rain soaked, dirty, etc. I will still wear them, but use an umbrella if the weather is such to justify use.

Hats I think do also "define" a part of the person's personality that wears them. It may or may not be an intention of the hat owner, but it happens, and I am sure some people do take note of that.

I am very bitten by the hat bug, and like it!

Esme

One of the Regulars
We use my hat at work (I am the only one who wears one) when we need to draw a number for prizes or at the Christmas party.

awest84532

Familiar Face
I wear a hat to keep my right ear attached. My left ear was lost to malignant melanoma. And it should help with saving my nose as well.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A hat has definitely kept me from raising a lump on the head, mainly when I am doing construction and general fixits around the house.

A hat keeps the rain, snow and sun off my follically challenged scalp.

A hat also keeps the sun out of my eyes. I find if I keep it at just the right amount of down in front, I can keep the sky at the horizon at bay.

A hat offers me privacy in a room shared by others. I can tilt it down and close my eyes. Don't do this on the subway.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I bought a neighbor kid from my hometown in Illinois at Sun Body with a nice Illinois ribbon. He attends the University of Illinois and I thought it would help him out with Redneck night at one of the local bars (Kam's I think). He unfortunately utilized it as a puke bucket. Doesn't smell bad anymore or anything.

Later

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Besides the excellent reasons given above:

- To collect donations while playing music.
- To pull rabbits from, on occasions when rabbit pulling is needed.
- To irritate restaurant owners by asking "where's your hat rack?" every time you visit.
- As protection from falling acorns and hickory nuts (it was a battleground out there today, folks).
- To frighten apprehensive canines who aren't used to seeing men in hats.
- To elicit somewhat better treatment from salespeople (seems true for some reason).
- For holding the content of one's pockets when undressing away from home.
- To make my wife ask "is that another new hat?"when I don one I haven't worn in a month.

But really, I think a hat's value as fashion accessory is inversely proportional to the amount of time you spend out-of-doors.
When it's windy like today, cap or beret is a nice alternative.

Cheers y'all,
- Bill

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Bill,

I like your list.

I had forgotten about the next to last one until you mentioned it.
I have always used my hat for that when on a mission trip.
We stayed in some spots in Honduras where it's a good idea to keep your small stuff up together so you don't have to go looking for it in the middle of the night ... since there's usually no electricity.
Who am I kidding? THERE'S NEVER ANY ELECTRICITY!
A hat is a great place to keep the small stuff.

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk