Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s (non-Stetson) Westerns

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
very old Cyrus Douglas hat

This one probably needs a 'Boss of the Plains' look - pop out the bash and add a 1" matching ribbon.

!Borpskg!Wk~$(KGrHqQH-CoEuZUtTqBGBLo(UWotJQ~~_12.JPG

!BorpFkgBGk~$(KGrHqUH-C8EuZlkM5UMBLo(RzgSHw~~_12.JPG

!BorpWr!!mk~$(KGrHqEH-DEEuVETHe5eBLo(S8nD5g~~_12.JPG

!BorpnHw!mk~$(KGrHqUH-C0EuZZZiR8QBLo(UDILDw~~_12.JPG

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
That's a pretty new hat, though. I think it's by dirty billy's, and looks like it may be their wool felt.

Seriously? I never heard of them - saw the liner label and figured it was very old.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Maybe clearwater?

Looks very similar to this:
Kkaderly said:
Here is my project hat! This hat was a gift from my Aunt about 20 years ago ... it seems to be good beaver felt (small fibers and it kind of smells like wet dog when you steam it) made by Clearwater hats (they are/were friends of my aunts and from what I have seen have recently had some success in making early period correct hats for Hollywood).
IMG_3530.jpg

IMG_3529.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
That makes sense. It does look like Clearwater's interior design, but the stitching is tighter. Also, to me the felt looks like real fur, but guess I'll know soon. For $27, it's not much of a loss, and will be fun to mess with. I thought it was a genuine old hat, but with a new sweatband (still learning!)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Dinerman said:

Here is is in the flesh. The specks are bits from a '40s straw hat which disintegrated nearby this hat after I tried to fix a wave in the brim with a spritz of water. I need to brush those off.

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

IMG_2491.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
Dinerman - any record of ownership on that one from Desmond's? I was born in Palm Springs, and my family goes back there to 1927 or so. Desmond's still exists, in a smaller form, but was the fancy menswear store in town. We used to have several western-themed festivals in town, some that lasted all week, with EVERYONE in town dressed in their finest western wear. If you were caught wearing "dude" clothing that week, you got put in a jail and had to have someone make a charitable donation to bail you out. That hat may have belonged to someone I know. Thanks, Frank

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Dinerman - any record of ownership on that one from Desmond's? I was born in Palm Springs, and my family goes back there to 1927 or so. Desmond's still exists, in a smaller form, but was the fancy menswear store in town. We used to have several western-themed festivals in town, some that lasted all week, with EVERYONE in town dressed in their finest western wear. If you were caught wearing "dude" clothing that week, you got put in a jail and had to have someone make a charitable donation to bail you out. That hat may have belonged to someone I know. Thanks, Frank

I'm afraid I don't have any backstory on this one- just an ebay pickup. Does look like it got some pretty regular wear though, doesn't it?

Pretty neat story behind the town and the shop!

frussell

One Too Many
Too bad - I was hoping you got one of my grandfather's old hats. He lived in the apartments above Desmond's for a while, and wore nothing but cowboy hats his whole life, until he died at 99 in 2008. I believe the store itself has been in Palm Springs since around 1936. Let me know if you find any hidden initials! Love to see photos of it after you clean it up, it's a beauty. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana