Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Thanks Douglas! You have posted a very nice Stephen L Stetson! I have one made by them, it's mid 30s at least... dark burgundy in color! Posted it years ago... Funny thing, it says: Stephen L. Stetson never in any way connected to John B. Stetson... something like that... has a total disclaimer so there wouldn't be any confusion between the two. lol

Love the color and the tall crown! Great hat!!!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS said:
DSCF2233.jpg

Nice - that's the first one I've seen that is 'pre-Stetson agreement'.

Feraud

Bartender
Yes the colors on the two Stetsons you posted are excellent.
What's with the hatband made of on the Special? It has an interesting texture as if it is two different woven materials..

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Stetson Select

Stetson Select, 7 3/4 (24"). Any ideas on age? I found some examples of the 'Stetson Select' sweatband stamp, but none with this bird design.

StetSelectSideLg.jpg

StetSelectx2.jpg

StetSelectLogosx2.jpg

StetSelectSweatx2.jpg

StetSelectUnBx2.jpg

StetSelectInsidex2.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
ScottF said:
Stetson Select, 7 3/4 (24"). Any ideas on age? I found some examples of the 'Stetson Select' sweatband stamp, but none with this bird design.

StetSelectSideLg.jpg

No opinions for you, Scott, except to say that it looks wonderful! congratulations!!!

Sue

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
billysmom said:
No opinions for you, Scott, except to say that it looks wonderful! congratulations!!!

Sue

Thanks Sue. I posted it once previously and there were no opinions then either. Perhaps bound-brim Stetson dress hats this age were more common than I thought.

Please post your pics so we can do some comparisons.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Select Quality was around in the 20s. from this thread

Lefty said:
*When all else fails, look to a primary source.*
Debbie Henderson isn't a primary source, but she's got a few included within Hat Talk. In the appendix, on page 139, she has reproduced a portion of a 1922 Stetson wholesale catalog, where retailers can order hats by the dozen. Of the twenty some hats that are listed, most are available in only 3 to 4 qualities. The "Hi-5", however, is available in all but 1 of the 10 qualities, with prices per dozen as follows:

Select Quality: $54
Excellent Quality(new to me): $63
No. 1 Quality: (unavailable for this hat)
Extra Quality: $72
Nutria Quality: $84
Real Nutria Quality: $96
3x Beaver Quality: $120
4x Beaver Quality: $144
5x Beaver Quality: $240
7x Beaver Quality: $288

Unfortunately, Henderson doesn't reproduce the entire catalog. However, from the hats shown, it is clear that it's not solely a western catalog. Derbies, soft homburgs, fedoras and westerns are included in the few pages of the catalog that are reproduced. The Hi-5 model is not shown on those pages.

I don't know if it was discontinued by '32, or simply not carried by Young's.
Lefty said:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Select Quality was around in the 20s. from this thread

Thanks Lefty - that clears up a few things.

What about 'Standard Quality'? I would have expected to see it listed alongside the other dress quality hats.

edited to add: Just re-read the thread you posted the link to (can't believe I forgot about it!). I think it should be possible to keep a date range updated for each quality type. GWD - great work on that thread - way to stick with it despite the frustration of no 'Rosetta Stone'!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I can only guess on that one, but from that hats that I've seen (and remember), I'm of the opinion that it was a mid/late 20s to late 30s/very early 40s designation. GWD has a bowler with a 20-something stamp on it, and some of the johnnyphi standards looked pretty 30s.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
Select Quality was around in the 20s.

I think the $5 hat advertised in the Young's ad may well be Select Quality (although not designated as such in the ad copy), with Excellent Quality being the next up the ladder.

As an aside, for what it's worth -- I do have this Select Stratoliner, which hails from Canada. So, the "Select" designation may have survived into the 40's in the Canadian market...

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:

Great find, Scott. Absolutely amazing condition, and the sweat is spectacular.

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I forgot about those Select Strats. Those foreign market variations tend to toss in the wrenches. Haven't we seen a few from the US?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Great find, Scott. Absolutely amazing condition, and the sweat is spectacular.

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks jtl. It does have some minor moth bites that are hidden when bashed, and the felt is thinner than most of the old Stetsons I've seen, but not super-soft like an old Playboy - doesn't surprise me now that I've seen Lefty's catalog list of prices by the dozen. The real pleasure is seeing a ribbon/bow in this old style that is in such great condition.

Looking at the price tag (red & white tag at sweat seam) under a magnifier, I see $7., but can't make out decimal values.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points