Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

GWD

One Too Many
Dinerman and Douglas

I'll leave you all my hats in my collection when I die, if you do the same for me!

Beautiful Hats all my size! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Great find, Scott. Absolutely amazing condition, and the sweat is spectacular.

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks jtl. I love this hat, but as you can imagine - 7 3/4 isn't coming close to fitting. I've decided to have it down-sized - since it has a reeded sweatband in good condition, I think it can be re-blocked '20-30s style, and all original parts kept. Should be sweet when complete.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
early Stetson 'Excellent Quality'

Nice soft, fuzzy fedora, Pearl color. The sweatband is perfect, but there was some corrosion on the brass connector at the back, which I cleaned off. Note the black and white size/block label with details pencilled on.

StetExcSideUnB2.jpg

StetExcSide.jpg

StetExcFront.jpg

StetExcSweatBottom0.jpg

StetExcSweatBottom2.jpg

StetExcSweatLogo.jpg

StetExcSBlockTag.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's one I keep in my basement

This one was a huge disappointment. Buyer told me there were no
moth holes. I did get my money back. Wish I had a hat like this
I could wear.

4321208248_b1e23e6234.jpg

4321210012_a1605446eb.jpg

4320478645_1438e7816f.jpg

Note the $8 price tag.

4320480589_b7094ca2a9.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
ScottF said:
Nice soft, fuzzy fedora, Pearl color. The sweatband is perfect, but there was some corrosion on the brass connector at the back, which I cleaned off. Note the black and white size/block label with details pencilled on.

StetExcSideUnB2.jpg

StetExcSide.jpg

StetExcFront.jpg

StetExcSweatBottom0.jpg

StetExcSweatBottom2.jpg

StetExcSweatLogo.jpg

StetExcSBlockTag.jpg

Man I could look at those early sweatbands all day. Priceless.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:

Scott - that has is SO you! Even when I'm scrolling down the page quite fast and one of those hats comes popping up I instantly know that it must be one of yours. This one is a brute beauty! I so love the color (I do have a great heart for those lighter colored felts, you know). And the sweat. And the crease. And the...well, you name it.

Simply put: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mario said:
Scott - that has is SO you! Even when I'm scrolling down the page quite fast and one of those hats comes popping up I instantly know that it must be one of yours. This one is a brute beauty! I so love the color (I do have a great heart for those lighter colored felts, you know). And the sweat. And the crease. And the...well, you name it.

Simply put: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks Mario, Ephraim. That's the original crease - the only thing I 'removed' were the back side-dents. The picture of the bottom shows the actual color - pearl grey.

Ephraim - the sweatband is really nice. Those heavy embossed labels can't be beaten.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Ephraim - the sweatband is really nice. Those heavy embossed labels can't be beaten.

Yes, but if you're balding and the hat is a wee bit too snug on you but at the same time happens to be your favorite lid (vanity can make you endure a lot of hardships... :p) you might end up with a permanent imprint on your head... :eusa_doh:
But then you might walk away with an endorsement contract... ;)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Stetson Special

This is one Bill sent me. Had to cut a little off the back of the sweatband after re-size (it was sewn originally). Brown thread on the underside revealed that the previous ribbon/bow was probably brownish.

I have been accumulating pics of Stetson Special liners and comparing, but tough coming up with useful dating info. The evidence I have indicates that this 'quality' came out in 1905 (described in ad as 'new'). All the examples so far are fedoras or Homburgs.

StetsonSpecialSideUnB.jpg

StetsonSpecialSide.jpg

StetsonSpecialFront.jpg

StetsonSpecialBottom0.jpg

StetsonSpecialBottom.jpg

StetsonSpecialSweatLogo.jpg

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
GWD said:
Wow... just, wow.

I've only recently begun seriously looking into straw boaters, and I can't help but be amazed at the difference in the quality of the weave between then and now. The modern stuff, even at vintage proportions, doesn't even compare.

Oh, and you wear it well, too. :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:
Did anyone here get this one?

Yes, I did - it should be arriving tomorrow or Saturday.

It has a lot of strong similarities to a 1920's No. 1 I have. Just received another No. 1 and compared the two No.1's - the new one has several differences and can be dated to 1930's, so having said all that - I think this Stetsonian is likely 1920's.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
1930's Stetson Superior Quality Boater

web.jpg

Nice - that's the only reference to 'Superior Quality' that we have, anywhere...and I would love to be proven wrong with pics of a nice 'Superior Quality' fedora.

GWD

One Too Many
ScottF said:
Nice - that's the only reference to 'Superior Quality' that we have, anywhere...and I would love to be proven wrong with pics of a nice 'Superior Quality' fedora.

I'm thinking it may have been just a "Straw" Quality Designation. [huh]

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
GWD said:
I'm thinking it may have been just a "Straw" Quality Designation. [huh]

It could be, but that's the only example, straw or otherwise, so it's a bit of an enigma. I haven't even seen 'Superior Quality' mentioned in ads.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Excellent Quality Feather Weight bowler

Here is a big (7 5/8) Stetson bowler Excellent Quality Feather Weight.

B

exc_1.jpg
[/IMG]

exc_2.jpg
[/IMG]

exc_3.jpg
[/IMG]

exc_4.jpg
[/IMG]

exc_5.jpg
[/IMG]

exc_6.jpg