Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
IMG_0508.jpg

Fur Felt Hat Made in the USA

Funny (or not) to see this hat on ebay...

I'm learning about the current state of affairs in student loans through my Son-in-law, who thought it was a good idea to put himself (and now my daughter) in debt for law school. NOT happy now... There may be options, Spencer. How about using your hat(s) as a collateral?

My heart really does go out to you, and every other poor soul who was convinced grad school was important or valuable.

Back to HATS.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm learning about the current state of affairs in student loans through my Son-in-law, who thought it was a good idea to put himself (and now my daughter) in debt for law school. NOT happy now... There may be options, Spencer. How about using your hat(s) as a collateral?

My heart really does go out to you, and every other poor soul who was convinced grad school was important or valuable.

Back to HATS.

No such thing as a job in architecture without a masters unless you want to be an intern drafting bathrooms and stairs for the rest of your life. Just the way the profession and licensing works.

I get that. As in so many other jobs, the industry standard has evolved to that requirement; often for what? Teachers are the worst example (IMHO) of a job requiring a graduate degree. The least qualified manager I've ever hired for our office BRAGGED about her Masters degree. The best one we ever hired (still with us, over ten years, now) has only an undergrad degree, earned PT while she worked as a young Mom. Anecdotal, I know.

These degrees are simply now too costly for the average person to foot the bill, especially without first being in an industry, and there aren't any guarantees in life.

What type of architecture do you do?

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
A great hat Victor... tell us more about the surprise and why you've dated it this early.

First, I gave no date, I gave a range. This hat can be no older than this because the retailer did changes to his business. I did an approximation based on this for the oldest possible date.
"The Hub clothing store in Great Falls, Montana, was established in 1890 by Andrew Thisted and Timothy Brosnan. From 1891 to 1892 the partners also owned a grocery in Barker, operated under the name of Silver and Company. After the death of Brosnan in 1897 the Hub was operated solely by Andrew Thisted. When his sons came of age, he brought them into the business and ran it as a co-partnership under the name Andrew Thisted and Sons."
http://archiveswest.orbiscascade.org/ark:/80444/xv07529

The newest possible date was based on the lack of a sewn seam on the sweat band. Stetson began doing that in the early 30's. There have be dated hats from the factory store that confirm that. This is also the time frame the gold ink size tags began and the stickers went away. Now is it possible that this hat dates to the early 30's? absolutely. I did not go to your lot # timeline to come up with my dates before I posted.

Thanks for the trail. I believe the store went by Andrew Thisted and sons into the 1950s. c.1930 would be my guess based on marks and tags and LOTXXXX number. It's a swell hat any way you slice it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112