Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

buler

I'll Lock Up
We've seen this mark in old Stetson literature, but I don't believe we've seen a hat with it. Anyway, this was sold thru an online auction service.

B

stetson_7x_clear_beaver_1.JPG
stetson_7x_clear_beaver_2.JPG
stetson_7x_clear_beaver_3.JPG
stetson_7x_clear_beaver_4.JPG

buler

I'll Lock Up
Stetson Clear Nutria - 6 1/2" crown with 4 1/2" brim, dress ribbon and brim binding. Relatively flat brim with pencil curl. Taped rear sweat. Lot number appears to be 6876. Sold at Small The Men's Furnisher in Belle Fource, SD (near Deadwood and home of Seth Bullock's ranch). Round black size tag and |||||| sweat stitching.

stetson_clear_nutria_1.JPG
stetson_clear_nutria_3 (800x382).jpg
stetson_clear_nutria_2 (800x484).jpg
IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG

parispal

Familiar Face
Looks like preware Stetsons have the same collectible value as prewar Martin guitars, albeit less expensive ;)

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Is the nutria considered a better felt than beaver? There are lots of SA nutria running around the farmland here in the Willamette Valley. People thought they could raise them like mink and make tons of money doing it, but then released them when they lost their shirts in the endeavor.

An acquaintance from 2 decades ago used to shoot them like vermin to help farmers protect their crops from significant destruction by the nutria.

Is the nutria considered a better felt than beaver? There are lots of SA nutria running around the farmland here in the Willamette Valley. People thought they could raise them like mink and make tons of money doing it, but then released them when they lost their shirts in the endeavor.

It makes a nice sturdy hat and was popular in western hats for awhile and prized by collectors now as they seem to be fairly rare. I was happy to find one.

Nutria are such a nuisance in Louisiana, the Orleans Parish Sheriff's Dept. SWAT team cruises along the canals late at night shooting them with .22 rifles from the bed of pickup trucks for nuisance control and target practice for their team members.

It makes a nice sturdy hat and was popular in western hats for awhile and prized by collectors now as they seem to be fairly rare. I was happy to find one.

Nutria are such a nuisance in Louisiana, the Orleans Parish Sheriff's Dept. SWAT team cruises along the canals late at night shooting them with .22 rifles from the bed of pickup trucks for nuisance control and target practice for their team members.
They're rodents. Which causes the pelts of those that survive long enough to be harvested to be smaller than pelts were 100 yrs or more ago.

Tonio

A-List Customer
Tomorrow I am eagerly expecting this early Stetson No.1 Quality with The Fray sweatband. Such a great style - grommets, brim curl, the sweatband, vented top. I decided to do some research on the history on the business that sold it originally. Thought I'd share some things I came across.

(Seller photos)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

John Charles Meussdorferr was a well established man in his day even beyond the hat business.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Meussdorffer's sons continued the business after his passing under the name "J.C Meussdorffer Sons" which is on the sweatband of this hat.

On April 18, 1906, after a 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck the city, fires break out in San Francisco. Over 80% of the city is destroyed by earthquake or fire. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1906_San_Francisco_earthquake

Here is a video of Market Street in 1906 (before the earthquake) where Mr. Meussdorferr also had a shop for a period of time.

The business was relocated to 909 Fillmore St as a result. Here is an advertisement claiming to be the first hatter open in SF, and after the fire.
image.jpeg

The San Fransisco directory from 1906-1908 shows "J.C. Meussdorferr Sons" address as 909 Fillmore St. After 1908, address reads as 923 Fillmore.
image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112