Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Presence of wind trolley dates a hat?

Levallois

Practically Family
I know that some of the modern hat makers, like Optimo, will put these on their hats but, in general, is this a dating tool? And, if so, what would the approximate dates be? Thanks!

John

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't think so. What Baron Kurtz argued, and it seems to be true, is that on Borsos, a wind trolley means that the hat was made for the American market. No one ever posted a Borso with a trolley in response to his theory.

edit: sorry, unclear post - no one ever posted a Borso that was obviously made for any market other than the US with a trolley.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I posted this sucka, but in another context.
1028247569_6cc6c63875_o.jpg

I bought it new in Milan in 2007. That might be too late to reflect on who got the trolleys in vintage days.
But this color, obviously, is Europe-only, and maybe Italy-only. So they are not unknown over there - at least today.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
I bought a Borsalino Alessandria new from a hat shop in Ft Worth, TX in the mid-1980's with a wind trolley. I've got a Stetson 25 from mid to late 1950's with a wind trolley. I have seen older hats with them, so No.
Also, at any point in the hats life the wind trolley can be added or removed.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
I don't think so. What Baron Kurtz argued, and it seems to be true, is that on Borsos, a wind trolley means that the hat was made for the American market. No one ever posted a Borso with a trolley in response to his theory.

edit: sorry, unclear post - no one ever posted a Borso that was obviously made for any market other than the US with a trolley.

I didn't know about this theory of his, but I did post a hat in the Borso thread that was obviously made for the French market (it had a tag under the sweat that said something about export quality, and it had the sweatband stamp from a shop in Paris on Montmartre), and which had the loop from the wind trolley (but not the button).

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Interesting. I didn't keep track as more hats were posted, as it wasn't a topic that really interested me, but the idea has stuck in my head.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Interesting. I didn't keep track as more hats were posted, as it wasn't a topic that really interested me, but the idea has stuck in my head.

Me either, but as I see more wind trolleys, I think that their characteristics might tell us something; for instance, some or elastic while others aren't. Also, there is some variety in configuration.

jwalls

Vendor
The wind trolley fad seems to be a post WW2 thing. I have a few that I removed from vintage hats over the years, so if anyone needs one send me a PM.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I purchased my first Borso from Capper & Capper (Chicago) in the early 80s. After being sized, trying on display hats and choosing the model/color I liked the sales clerk retreated to the stockroom and returned with the Borso in its box. The wind trolley was not attached, it was coiled up in an envelope. He then asked if I would like to have it attached. Just throwin' that out there..........

I have two hats with wind trolleys. A vintage Stetson St. Regis (1950's) and a vintage brazilian boater hat (1930's)

I’ve hats blow off and many more threaten to do so. I get the practicality of the wind trolley but I personally don’t use them. Custom hatter sometimes ask I want one but I never order them. I leave them on vintage hats but never use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
I posted this sucka, but in another context.
1028247569_6cc6c63875_o.jpg

I bought it new in Milan in 2007. That might be too late to reflect on who got the trolleys in vintage days.
But this color, obviously, is Europe-only, and maybe Italy-only. So they are not unknown over there - at least today.
IS this how you use a wind trolley? One end you put in the button hole of your shirt the other end is on the hat, i'm assuming sewed on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112