Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problems with Aero Jacket and Talon Zipper

Maxwells_Daemon

New in Town
Hi there,
I'm a long-time lurker but first-time (I think) poster. This forum is probably one of the biggest contributing factors to me giving Aero Leather a shot. The leather is pretty amazing and I'm very happy with the way my jacket looks. The zipper, on the other hand, is another story.

The jacket in question is a Dustbowl with a Talon "'Hookless' grommet zipper". Basically, it's old even for a Talon zipper. It was never smooth from day one, took a fair bit of care to zip up, and before the jacket's first fall was out it was having problems. I was careful to never force the zipper when stuck but, presently, it no longer engages the teeth at all. In short, it's kinda junk.

While there is plenty of advice for fixing zippers online, these early Talon zippers seem to be their own strange breed. I decided to contact Aero for any advice they could offer, because I'd love to get this jacket wearable again. I contacted Aero last November and heard nothing for several months. I sort of forgot about it because I was busy and this wasn't a jacket I'd be wearing again until Spring. I contacted them again in March and again in the beginning of April. This time I did get a response from Christine, who promised "Denny" would reply to me. I haven't heard anything from him. I've never had to ask a clothing company for support before, but Aero certainly hasn't been forthcoming (It will be six months since I first contacted them on the 12th).

Finally, to the point: Do you guys have any reliable advice for dealing with early Talon zippers? Is there anything I can try to salvage this zipper? How easy is it to get them replaced on a heavy horsehide jacket? I'd love to have a YKK zipper on this jacket. I regret going with Talon hardware.

robrinay

One Too Many
My advice is don't touch the zipper until you've spoken to Denny at Aero
You can contact Denny here if he doesn't pick up on this thread. He's
Hide'n'seek but you really should do it direct with Aero.

Last edited:

Maxwells_Daemon

New in Town
My advice is don't touch the zipper until you've spoken to Denny at Aero
You can contact Denny here if he doesn't pick up on this thread. He's
Hide'n'seek but you really should do it direct with Aero.

This is basically why I haven't done anything with the jacket for the last six months. I didn't want to mess it up any worse than it already is!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While Aero are generally pretty good at getting back to you, I've had more than a few exchanges and requests just get lost somehow on their end, no samples sent etc.

TBH, I just find dealing with Carrie at Thurston a lot more reliable. She repaired a chest zip that broke on my PHB (I'm starting a new acronym for Premier Half Belt lol). I had purchased though them and she repaired it for free but I'm sure she could either advise you or maybe even do the repair themselves? at a small fee if you didn't purchase through them, I'm guessing?

I'd contact them. I just figure that Aero is too busy actually making the jackets and sometimes emails just fall off the radar...

Maxwells_Daemon

New in Town
While Aero are generally pretty good at getting back to you, I've had more than a few exchanges and requests just get lost somehow on their end, no samples sent etc.

TBH, I just find dealing with Carrie at Thurston a lot more reliable. She repaired a chest zip that broke on my PHB (I'm starting a new acronym for Premier Half Belt lol). I had purchased though them and she repaired it for free but I'm sure she could either advise you or maybe even do the repair themselves? at a small fee if you didn't purchase through them, I'm guessing?

I'd contact them. I just figure that Aero is too busy actually making the jackets and sometimes emails just fall off the radar...

I'm in Canada, so it's definitely a viable option to send it to the U.S. for a new zipper. More viable than sending it back to the UK at least! Is the knowledge/equipment to replace zippers on this kind of jacket rare? It would be great if I could take it someplace local (i.e. Calgary).

I've heard nothing but horror stories about those incredibly cool looking but also very problematic hookless zips. All my Aero jackets have Talon repro's and I've never had a problem but a chunky #8 or #10 would be nice for such heavy jackets. Definately contact Aero first. I'm sure they'll make it right by you. Thurston might be a good option too and easier to access given your location. There's also great leather here in IL that might be an option if all else fails.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Never had a moment's bother with mine. Fiddly at first, yes, but ultimately I like to think that I'm more than a match for a zip, ymmv...

Maxwells_Daemon

New in Town
I've heard nothing but horror stories about those incredibly cool looking but also very problematic hookless zips. All my Aero jackets have Talon repro's and I've never had a problem but a chunky #8 or #10 would be nice for such heavy jackets. Definately contact Aero first. I'm sure they'll make it right by you. Thurston might be a good option too and easier to access given your location. There's also great leather here in IL that might be an option if all else fails.

I'll keep trying to contact them but, as I said, I've been trying for six months.

Edward

Bartender
Fastest response from Aero is to contact Holly directly - Holly@aeroleather.com, I think; Denny is in the factory full time running production, and I suspect doesn't get a lot of free time for emails. In Canada, you're nearer Insurrection, so might be less hassle to send it to Seattle if you really want an HKK. I have a Hookless in my Dustbowl - I've not had any problems with it, I love it, but there will be folks who prefer the Talon repro, or even a modern design like an HKK. (I was given several options when I ordered, though I think the Hookless is the default in this design, if memory serves).

I don't much care for very chunky zips on a jacket like this. They can be okay on a bike jacket (and quite proper for a lot of bike jackets much after 1968ish - today, certainly on the British stuff I've handled), but on something like a half belt or even some cafe racers they look all wrong to me, all out of proprtion, comical, even.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

When i visited Aero, Denny made it sound like it was mostly user herror, people trying to go to fast and treating them like a modern YKK zipper. If you slow down and pay attention to what you do they seem fine.
I have to say that it worked fine on the jackets i tried, but you definitely have to focus on what you are doing.
One of the two jackets i orered will atually have a hookless...

The only Talon i had failed after a couple months and was replaced by a RiRi whihc i am very happy with.

wdw

One Too Many
Yeah, my Dustbowl had that zip, but I was always especially slow and careful with it and had no problems.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Yeh. That's why I avoid repro jackets with zippers and stick to buttoned models. Being overly careful with articles of daily use, such as jackets, is not my thing really. Especially not from a 1000 Dollar jacket from which I expect a certain longevity. A zipper prone to problems just spoils the jacket for life thing for me. What's the point of a jacket for life, if the leather will outlast three generations but the hardware will need replacement after I try to close my jacket in a hurry. That's why I prefer buttoned jackets such as my Teamster. Not so prone to failure of any kind. If I went zipper on a Aero, I'd definitely have it replaced with a good riri zipper sooner than later. The YKK zippers on my Johnson Leather work great too and look nothing bad.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Those hookless zips are 100 percent brand new, so can't blame it on it being an old product. They never existed in that format, strictly the never-was creation of reproduction hardware companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacoat

Bartender
Those hookless zips are 100 percent brand new, so can't blame it on it being an old product. They never existed in that format, strictly the never-was creation of reproduction hardware companies.
I don't doubt anything you say, especially when it comes to zippers, but am I imagining those old printed ads for Hookless zippers? Seems as though I have seen some on this forum?

plainsman

Familiar Face
I have trouble believing this as Holly, Denny and Rachel are red-hot on replying, as anyone around here will tell you.
Sloan is a bit over the board with "red-hot on replying" ;) But Holly always replied to me within one or two days. Aero customer service is very good in my experience and a reason that i buy from Aero. So, yes, I am also surprised that the OP would not get reply not just once but on several emails. I would suggest to check the email used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points