Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Attire for attending the Met?

WH1

Practically Family
I need some information on suitable attire for attending an evening performance of "Romeo and Juliet" at the Met in NYC next week. We have very good seats in the Center Parterre and I want to make sure I am properly dressed. It is not an opening night performance so I believe the dinner jacket would be overdressing (too bad as I have a new BB peak lapel I would love to wear). I am leaning towards a 3 pc Navy linen suit, cream colored shirt, brown or black captoes (well polished) and a tie (possibly a bow).

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated, I want it to be a memorable evening especially for my lovely wife who has been looking forward to this for several months now.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
What Feraud said is exactly right. If you want to eat at a fabulous local eatery (I know, I've been touting this place like crazy with no results so far, but what the hey) try Cafe Des Artistes, on W 67th St. They have a $35 prix fixe dinner. Fabulous place. You'll never forget it.
Enjoy!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Your outfit sounds fine. You will probably be better dressed than most of those in attendance.
Enjoy the show. :)

Indeed. I went to Hamlet at the Novello in London, wearing a 3-piece, bow, and homburg. There were a few other people dressed for the occassion, but it was mostly jeans and t-shirts. The people sitting right in front of me were wearing track suits :(

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I go to the opera a few times a year. I find that almost always only a handfull of people dress up. Jeans and shirts are all over the place and even baseball caps!. I always wear a 3 pc suit, tie and a fedora. My wife, a nice black dress. Your outfit sounds perfect. You'll have a great time. The opera your seeing is fantastic.

Geesie

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
I think that the tux would be good, especially if you were continuing the evening after the Met.

Agree completely. So what if it's not opening night? It's opera at the Met.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Munich

If you ever get a chance, take in an opera in Munich. It's a magnificent opera house, with really big public spaces and lobbies. Everyone dresses to the nines. I mean really elegant. And they serve the most mind bogglingly delicious goodies in the cafe at intermission! That really holds true for all of Germany, I guess. I would expect that's the case for all of Europe.

WH1

Practically Family
Orsini said:
Black shoes after 6:00 PM.

Ah good point!

Also it is not the opera Romeo and Juliet it is the ballet by Prokofiev as performed by the American Ballet Theater. Unfortunatley they didn't have any opera scheduled during the 10 days we will be in the city.

Canadian

One of the Regulars
I attend a few local symphony productions once in a while. Often, it's a chance for some middle-aged folk to wear their best, and that usually means a dinner jacket, matching trousers and bow. I wore a black suit to the symphony ball, and was underdressed. People here take the symphony seriously.

Of course, while working in Edmonton, I had seats at their symphony and wore a basic grey suit. I was the best dressed person, save a few in the $150/seat dress circle. Yes, I was in the cheap seats, but most of the senior citizens and regular adults who were seated in my section wore button downs and khakis.

When I was in prep school, we went to the Calgary symphony on a field trip. For a matinee, I wore a white shirt, black slacks and basic issue field boots. Some of the other schools wore blue blazers and slacks, but my school was more bohemian than that.

Thomas

Bugsy

One Too Many
WH1 said:
I need some information on suitable attire for attending an evening performance of "Romeo and Juliet" at the Met in NYC next week. We have very good seats in the Center Parterre and I want to make sure I am properly dressed. It is not an opening night performance so I believe the dinner jacket would be overdressing (too bad as I have a new BB peak lapel I would love to wear). I am leaning towards a 3 pc Navy linen suit, cream colored shirt, brown or black captoes (well polished) and a tie (possibly a bow).

Any suggestions or recommendations are greatly appreciated, I want it to be a memorable evening especially for my lovely wife who has been looking forward to this for several months now.

You probably will be better dressed than most of the other men, alas. Your ensemble sounds perfectly correct. I attended the opening preformance of "La Boheme" at the War Memorial Opera House in San Francisco last fall. I was seated in the Grand Tier and behind me sat a man in shorts, a tank top and sandals. The end of the world is near. :rage:

WH1

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Is this a trick question?

Get a pedicure if you're waring flip flops. ;)

Trick question?????[huh] Genuinely unsure of acceptable attire for the Met these days. Another example of the chaos created by the total breakdown of proper etiquette in our society, and I thought Afghanistan is bad.

Also never flip flops with black tie that is gauche, always swim fins!

GBR

One of the Regulars
Over doing it really - you will stand out like the proverbial sore thumb. Maybe tone it down by dropping the weaistcoat (vest)?

Shadowex3

New in Town
There's really three ways to go about it. You can dress appropriately for attending an opera at the Met and ignore the peanut gallery, dress to fit in with everyone else and BE the peanut gallery, or (hopefully in combination with No1) you can dress so that whatever you're wearing matches where you're wearing it. Sadly that last one IS necessary since I've seen some people try to dress up and wind up clashing horribly with the location.

Imho ignore the peanut gallery. Your actions and how you carry yourself determine whether you look out of place, pretentious, or respectable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points