Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper G-1 Jacket Fit?

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Hey Everyone! Been lurking on this forum for a while, but finally decided to join! I included a picture of me in my Cockpit G-1 "Mil-Spec" jacket (Style Z2108) in a size 42 regular. I am 6'2", 185 lbs, normally wear size 42 suits, and my chest measures about 42" at the widest as well. Can anyone, including Deacon, be kind enough to provide their input on the fit? It seems to fit trim, and maybe just ever so slightly snug on my shoulders but not enough to bother me. Is the G-1 supposed to fit like this or be slightly looser in regards to how Naval Aviators are meant to wear them?

I have the same jacket in a size 44, but it's definitely a bit looser around the mid-section and blouses out noticeably more when I sit in a chair. The 42 sits just below my belt and doesn't blouse out much when I sit down, which is what I am assuming is the original intent?

I am also interested in the Cockpit G-1 "100 Mission" jacket (style Z21C0071), which I believe Deacon owns. Would anyone know how the fit of that compares to the Mil-Spec jacket I have? Cheers!

30698083_1018995738256852_575816438489546752_o.jpg

30657116_1018995668256859_2413495788962316288_o (1).jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If you can get a humble Cockpit to fit like that you don't need custom. Well done. That seems trim enough. :)

Those shoulders can't really be snug, surely? They hang over a little so that's in keeping with Cockpit's rather large shoulder width - I imagine this one is 21 inches across or more. 19 inches would be better but you can't have everything.

I spoke to a sales rep at Cockpit - they are all cut pretty much the same despite the different names. All jackets by Cockpit USA are cut bigger in general, probably partly fashion and partly the larger size of people today.

There really is no proper fit. They were issued by the military and they were worn trim and/or roomy depending on what was allocated.

Edward

Bartender
Fit looks good. You could also get away with it looser if you're looking for a WW2 era look (while wartime photos of aircrew in A2s show fit all over the place, the USN boys in their M422as seem to wear them almost uniformly slightly looser), but this looks grand as it is.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
If you can get a humble Cockpit to fit like that you don't need custom. Well done. That seems trim enough. :)

Those shoulders can't really be snug, surely? They hang over a little so that's in keeping with Cockpit's rather large shoulder width - I imagine this one is 21 inches across or more. 19 inches would be better but you can't have everything.

I spoke to a sales rep at Cockpit - they are all cut pretty much the same despite the different names. All jackets by Cockpit USA are cut bigger in general, probably partly fashion and partly the larger size of people today.

There really is no proper fit. They were issued by the military and they were worn trim and/or roomy depending on what was allocated.

Thanks, Seb! I have seen varying recommendations on fit, so I was aiming to find the sweet spot between fitted and loose. Sounds like I found it . When I mentioned snug in the shoulders, I really meant the front to the outside of the clavicle feels slight tension when standing straight up and shoulders slightly back. But far from uncomfortable.

You will be suprised to hear the shoulders measured across the back is approximately 19.5” in the size 42. It is a bit tricky with the action back, but that is the measurement I got between the outer shoulder seams. I recently acquired the Cockpit A-2 current issue in a 42, and it definitely fits much looser and much wider shoulders everyone mentions.

While I am not too crazy about Cockpit’s A-2, their “Mil-Spec” G-1 is very very nice and has become my go-to G-1 to wear!

kliffjumper123

Familiar Face
Hey Everyone! Been lurking on this forum for a while, but finally decided to join! I included a picture of me in my Cockpit G-1 "Mil-Spec" jacket (Style Z2108) in a size 42 regular. I am 6'2", 185 lbs, normally wear size 42 suits, and my chest measures about 42" at the widest as well. Can anyone, including Deacon, be kind enough to provide their input on the fit? It seems to fit trim, and maybe just ever so slightly snug on my shoulders but not enough to bother me. Is the G-1 supposed to fit like this or be slightly looser in regards to how Naval Aviators are meant to wear them?

I have the same jacket in a size 44, but it's definitely a bit looser around the mid-section and blouses out noticeably more when I sit in a chair. The 42 sits just below my belt and doesn't blouse out much when I sit down, which is what I am assuming is the original intent?

I am also interested in the Cockpit G-1 "100 Mission" jacket (style Z21C0071), which I believe Deacon owns. Would anyone know how the fit of that compares to the Mil-Spec jacket I have? Cheers!

View attachment 118790

View attachment 118789

The fit looks really good but it depends on the type of fit you are going for. The modern jackets tend to fit a lot looser than the older and original styles. This is especially since they aren't really being worn in the cockpit. The ww2 style of jackets were actually a mixed bag in regards to the fit, more so for the A2 and not the G1 as the G1's were mostly worn like in the picture.

I actually follow your Instagram and that picture of you with your G1 has made me consider looking at a G1 as my next jacket as opposed to the A2.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
The fit looks really good but it depends on the type of fit you are going for. The modern jackets tend to fit a lot looser than the older and original styles. This is especially since they aren't really being worn in the cockpit. The ww2 style of jackets were actually a mixed bag in regards to the fit, more so for the A2 and not the G1 as the G1's were mostly worn like in the picture.

I actually follow your Instagram and that picture of you with your G1 has made me consider looking at a G1 as my next jacket as opposed to the A2.

Awesome! I think you will be very pleased with the Cockpit mil-spec G1. The goatskin has a very nice feel and grain and has the right amount of thickness. I have owned vintage government issued ones in the past, but I always found them either too tight or too short in the sleeves.

I honestly wear my G1 more than even my ELC A2 Monarch contract. To me the G1 is more comfortable with the action back and looks just as sharp as an A2. The A2 is a great style, but I tend to prefer the G1 a bit more. Glad my IG posts has made you think about a G1 as well!

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks for ringing me in Peacoat!

I think that jacket looks epic on you Drewdog! One thing I personally like in the Cockpit G-1 is that the sleeves feel tapered more like the old jackets and not as tube like as in the newer ones. This makes for a less baggy and overhanging sleeve. I have actually always found the Cockpit G-1 to be pretty well fitting if a little short in the torso.

I agree with Seb. With that fit, you don't need custom!

Deacon211

One Too Many
Oh, I can't help but wonder if some of that "tightness" is just newness especially in the collar and won't loosen up over time. I agree with the general consensus that the shoulders couldn't really fit any looser and still look good.

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Thanks for ringing me in Peacoat!

I think that jacket looks epic on you Drewdog! One thing I personally like in the Cockpit G-1 is that the sleeves feel tapered more like the old jackets and not as tube like as in the newer ones. This makes for a less baggy and overhanging sleeve. I have actually always found the Cockpit G-1 to be pretty well fitting if a little short in the torso.

I agree with Seb. With that fit, you don't need custom!

Thanks, Deacon! I appreciate the feedback! Like you, I can’t figure out why their G1 fits so much better than their A2 jackets.

I recently ordered the Cockpit “Movie Heroes” Top Gun jacket. I believe it is the same as your 100 Mission Cockpit G1 except with the same patches shown in the movie. Do you know if the 100 Mission jacket fits the same as the mil spec G1 version? Some people say they should be the same, and some of the Cockpit staff has told me the aging on the 100 Mission goatskin might make the 100 Mission feel tighter.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting on shoulder width. I wonder if all their G1's are cut the same then? I quite like the GW with removable collar (furry collar not much use down here).

Are you able to tell us what the back length is and the sleeve length of your 42 milspec?

Drewdog2323

One of the Regulars
Interesting on shoulder width. I wonder if all their G1's are cut the same then? I quite like the GW with removable collar (furry collar not much use down here).

Are you able to tell us what the back length is and the sleeve length of your 42 milspec?

Hey Seb - I will venture a guess that the G1s with numerical sizing versus letter sizing should be about the same. I don’t like letter sizing for the obvious reason it is harder to get the fit you want.

The back length from bottom of collar to bottom of waist cuff = 25”-25.5” down the back. The sleeve length from the shoulder seam to the end of the knit cuff is 27.5” The knit cuffs on the sleeves are longer than other Cockpit mil-spec jackets I have seen for some reason. So I would bet on it being more like 26.5” at least. Size 42 regular.

A big reason why I love this particular G1 is that the sleeves are about an inch longer than other G-1s. I have a shorter torso for my height and wear 36” sleeve dress shirts so the regular length is perfect for me.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for that. Same length as an A2 size 42 but longer sleeve length.

I have contacted Cockpit USA to find out about the size differences if any between you version and the removable collar version. Photos can be deceptive but the latter looks less trim on theri website. The narrower shoulder width is a real bonus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ