Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper hat, proper apparel?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
JJWord said:
Haha, my avatar is my youngest son at age 3. Imagine waking up from a nap on the couch to THAT about 3 inches from your face. And he was in full character.

I think I've settled on an Akubra Campdraft in glen gray. Probably go through HD, but I need to square something away first. I kinda got a speeding ticket this weekend (76 in a 65) so my mad money fund might need to be diverted soon. Going to call my lawyer today first and see how this goes.

At least you have a 65 zone within spitting distance. The nearest one in my state is about 2+ hours away. I guess the man feels that 11 over in a 65 is worse than 11 over in a 55. 66 here will barely get a head-turn.

Goose.

Practically Family
JJWord said:
...Again, thanks to all for your valued and educated input!
Obviously not counting me in that mix.

happy-018.gif

Cool choice. Looking forward to the pics.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Welcome JJWord!

Well, I'm with Goose on this...wear whatever pleases you and the rest of the world can just learn to deal with it!

I wear fedoras with most anything but shorts and sandals, but on that odd day, ya know, I just might!

My friends never make any comments anymore...I think they're used to seeing me with a variety of hats and it doesn't register with them. From strangers I used to get the occasional "hey Indy!" remark, but it was well-intentioned. Now...never. All I hear is "nice hat" or "where did you get that?" or "perfect for a day like this". Just compliments. I've also noticed, in general, the following:

1. People tend to treat you better, smile at you more often, when you are wearing a fedora. Really and truly. For some reason they assume you are more trustworthy.

2. Here in Atlanta, there are more people wearing hats. Yes, mostly stingy-brimmed cheapies, but still...it isn't so strange to see hatted men anymore. Even in more rural parts of Georgia, where most have taken to ballcaps, I haven't gotten any comments lately.

So please yourself! Nothing to lose.

Best wishes,
- Bill

P.S.
The suggestions about the Akubra Fed are worth heeding. You'll find it higher-crowned, more adaptable than the Snowy River. Really reasonable in cost via direct mail.

JJWord

Familiar Face
Update!

Just had the pleasure of chatting with Gary White in his shop. An amazing place indeed. Dropped the hat off to be overhauled. Clean, block, trim the brim down, streatch to my size and long oval, and maybe a new ribbon. Basically converting the snowy river into a fedora fit for my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112