Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Badluck Brody said:
So looks like Mr. Depp is to play Dillinger and possibly shoot here in Wisconsin's small town of Barraboo... Might have to check into some extra's work!!!

Speaking as a fellow Wisconsinite and film buff, this is pretty exciting! Although Depp as Dillinger...I don't know...good actor, but still...

Dillinger has also been played by Warren Oates (yup), Lawrence Tierney (who could eat Johnnny Depp for breakfast), Martin Sheen (conceivably effective), Robert Conrad (could work), Mark Harmon (I like Harmon, but I'm not sure I see that), and Ralph Meeker (possibly the best casting of all, he played the role on TV in 1960, although I'm not sure whether the program is still extant).

Jay

Practically Family
This is almost good news and bad news... On one hand it's great that there'll be a new John Dillinger movie, but I guess this means The Rum Diary gets pushed back further still. I wonder if it will ever get made?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Badluck Brody said:
Wisconsin's small town of Barraboo...
I've been to Barraboo when skiing Devil's Head, as a kid.

I suppose that they'll be shooting at Lincoln and Fullerton at some point.

bio2.jpg

RIOT

Practically Family
Patrick Murtha said:
Dillinger has also been played by Warren Oates (yup), Lawrence Tierney (who could eat Johnnny Depp for breakfast), Martin Sheen (conceivably effective), Robert Conrad (could work), Mark Harmon (I like Harmon, but I'm not sure I see that), and Ralph Meeker (possibly the best casting of all, he played the role on TV in 1960, although I'm not sure whether the program is still extant).

As well as a Doberman Pincher in the B-Caper, The Doberman Gang (1972). That's some hefty paws to fill lol

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068491/posters

Ben

One of the Regulars
Wisconsin Bankers Search for Vintage Buildings

Bank Group Helps Hollywood Search For Vintage Buildings
Wisconsin’s rich banking history could be on display

(MADISON) –Wisconsin boasts many examples of classic bank architecture and one or more of those buildings may be featured in an upcoming movie about notorious bank robber John Dillinger. The Wisconsin Bankers Association (WBA) has been working with the film’s site location team to identify Depression-era bank buildings that have not been substantially altered.

Bankers from every part of the state have helped identify possible locations and, in many cases, have sent pictures of the exterior and interior of bank buildings to be evaluated by the site location team. In addition to wanting a building that can pass for something from the 1930s, the movie location team seems to be considering the size and look of the building’s interior, particularly the ceiling, as well as the appearance of adjacent structures.

The site location team has scouted buildings in Ashland, Baraboo, Chippewa Falls, Eau Claire, Madison, Mazomanie, Milwaukee, Oshkosh, Ozaukee, Ripon and Wisconsin Rapids.

“At this point, we aren’t sure which bank building or buildings will be used in the movie,” said Kurt Bauer, WBA president/CEO. “What we do know is that the site team has traveled the state extensively scouting locations.”

The movie in question is called Public Enemies and will reportedly star Johnny Depp as Dillinger. The movie is due to be released sometime next year.

Dillinger is known to have robbed at least one Wisconsin bank in Racine during a year-long crime spree during the early 1930s. He was also involved in a shootout with FBI agents at the Little Bohemia Lodge in the north woods.

During that same time period, WBA created a detective agency to help catch bank robbers, like Dillinger, and donated machine guns to local police departments.

“Dillinger represents a dark chapter in our industry’s history because of the terror customers and employees were subjected to during his robberies,” said Bauer. “But we are nonetheless proud of potentially having a Wisconsin bank building featured in a major Hollywood movie.”

Bauer said bank buildings were often the architectural gems and anchors of many downtowns throughout Wisconsin, a fact that remains true today.

###

The Wisconsin Bankers Association is the state’s largest financial industry trade association, representing 300 commercial banks and savings institutions, their nearly 2,300 branch offices and 28,000 employees.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I have always been very interested in Dillinger and the 1930s motor bandits and devour all films on the subject.

The film is apparently based on Brian Burrough's book, which I thought was excellent.

Johnny Depp is a brilliant actor - I think posterity will see him as one of the greats. I've liked just about everything I've seen him in.

BUT...sorry....somehow I just can't see him as Dillinger! I think this is a very strange casting.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I read today that Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose and multiple award winner, as I'm sure we all know by now) is going to play Dillinger's girlfriend. Depp is such a great character actor and I'm sure he'll be great but I agree with others in that I can't quite picture it either.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Public Enemies" - Michael Mann

Just read an interview online with Christian Bale.

A period gangster movie?

By Michael Mann?

He's a detail guy so it should all be excellent.

(I'll not mention the glorious gunfight scenes I anticipate, cause you'd all think I'm weird)

(weird-er anyway :D )

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
The first Christian Bale film I ever saw was "Empire of the Sun". It was the first of Spielberg's World War II trilogy that includes "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan."

As you probably know, "Empire Of The Sun" was about a British boy played by Bale, who becomes separated from his parents during WWII and ends up in an internment camp. In fact, this was the first major American film shot in China. Spielberg told an intense story of the horrors of war, how families were uprooted and separated, and how the human spirit overcomes adversity. And Bale was superb in the film.

Often, war movies are all too harsh, violent and depressing. "Empire Of The Sun" successfully showed glimpses of the brutalness of war but it also allowed the viewer to keep a constant feeling of hope and determination. That was in no small part due to the talent of Bale. There was an amazing amount of passion in his performance. It's a shame that the film is one of Spielberg's least respected efforts.

Fast forward to the present....Bale's "3:10 to Yuma" was one of best films I saw this past year. Bale's character in that film, Dan Evans, a one-legged, down-on-his-luck rancher struggling to keep a home together for his wife and two kids is a far cry from the young lad he played in "Empire of the Sun".
Kudos to Bale for being one of a handful of young actors to have a successful film career as an adult.

As for the new flic, Bale is only in preliminary "talks" with Michael Mann to appear in the gangster movie "Public Enemies". If talks go to plan, Bale will appear alongside Johnny Depp as Melvin Purvis, the legendary FBI agent who led the manhunt for John Dillinger. The story will follow the government attempting to take down notorious American gangsters John Dillinger, Baby Face Nelson and Pretty Boy Floyd during a booming crime wave in the 1930s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112