Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Public Enemies

PrettyPaula

New in Town
just watched this as im home sick, i was impressed.

i especially like the fact that the details i looked for were there, such as the half moon on her nails. lol

Story

I'll Lock Up
Desktop gangsters

NM54C038.jpg

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=NM54C038

Description: 3 very unsavory looking resin gangsters in threatening poses - 2 armed with Thompson submachine guns and the 3rd with double-barrel shotgun. Includes resin street curb base approximately 3.5" square.

Just for giggles - they come unpainted.
Do kids actually build & paint models anymore?

Levallois

Practically Family
Story - Find me one carrying a Lehman modified 1907 Winchester with a 20-round mag and I'll buy 10.

John

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just watched this after buying it on DVD and to be honest I thought it was crap.

One dimensional acting (I thought Depp was particularly bad) and an unengaging script.

The clothes, cars and period bitsandbobs were nice but I couldn't give a monkey's for the rest of it. I really thought I'd enjoy this but I was disappointed.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Story said:
NM54C038.jpg

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=NM54C038

Description: 3 very unsavory looking resin gangsters in threatening poses - 2 armed with Thompson submachine guns and the 3rd with double-barrel shotgun. Includes resin street curb base approximately 3.5" square.

Just for giggles - they come unpainted.
Do kids actually build & paint models anymore?

On those are AWESOME! I want some for my desktop now! They'll go great with the private eye figurine a friend made me for Christmas one year.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I finally saw this on cable last week. I was underwhelmed. There were some good sequences, and it was stylishly done, but the characters were underdeveloped and somehow it never really jelled. Anyway, it didn't work for me.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Finally saw it last night. Not a bad film but not anything like the excitement or intrigue of say Road to Perdition.

I have a question. What was that beautiful summer suit that Christian Bale wears in the last part of the film when they capture and shoot him? It looks like a sophisticated seersucker but then again the stripes are too fine.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
I enjoyed the movie. My one gripe is the use of handheld footage. It can be good, when used judiciously, to put you "right there" in the action. But have the camera wobbling about on the front guard of the car, on the wing mirror looking in at JD, across the grill - all unnecessary. Good steady conventional shots during mood setting moments like these wouldn't have been so distracting. it's like the puppetmaster's efforts distracting us from the story he is trying to convey, reminding us that we are actually watching a movie

I still haven't picked it up on dvd, but while I spent this afternoon reading through all 27 pages of this thread, it was showing on cable here, so I left about page 20 to watch it! :)

vintage68

Practically Family
VitaminG said:
I enjoyed the movie. My one gripe is the use of handheld footage. It can be good, when used judiciously, to put you "right there" in the action. But have the camera wobbling about on the front guard of the car, on the wing mirror looking in at JD, across the grill - all unnecessary.

As someone that went to film school, I couldn't agree with you more. Excellent point.

After seeing it in the movies and viewing it at home with the various musings here I concur that Public Enemies suffers a bit from the style of today. Where it is shot conventionally it tends to be a better presentation than those jerky hand held shots that are supposed to be "exciting" in the MTV sense of the word. As we live in the 5 second world of sound bites the story structure and people lack depth because it was probably considered a detriment to an action movie. Too many movie makers today feel that the target audience won't handled a well made in depth film, they seem to think that teens, twenty somethings and on can no longer appreciate films like Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur or other epics, let alone The Godfather where character developement was a key part of what made the movie good.

In a sense then I can say I enjoyed it much like one would enjoy snapshots and home movies of a vacation, since I know some of the history and can fill in what the movie misses. Some imagery was superb some was not but there are elements of the film that capture or evokes a feeling that makes me like it more than dislike. I wanted something different and better but will take what I can get. For now anyway.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
...twenty somethings and on can no longer appreciate films like Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur or other epics, let alone The Godfather where character developement was a key part of what made the movie good...

Well done. You have managed to make a good list of some of my favorite movies (I am twenty by the way).

I wasn't terribly impressed by Public Enemies, but it was a decent flick.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John in Covina said:
After seeing it in the movies and viewing it at home with the various musings here I concur that Public Enemies suffers a bit from the style of today. Where it is shot conventionally it tends to be a better presentation than those jerky hand held shots that are supposed to be "exciting" in the MTV sense of the word. As we live in the 5 second world of sound bites the story structure and people lack depth because it was probably considered a detriment to an action movie. Too many movie makers today feel that the target audience won't handled a well made in depth film, they seem to think that teens, twenty somethings and on can no longer appreciate films like Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Ben Hur or other epics, let alone The Godfather where character developement was a key part of what made the movie good.

In a sense then I can say I enjoyed it much like one would enjoy snapshots and home movies of a vacation, since I know some of the history and can fill in what the movie misses. Some imagery was superb some was not but there are elements of the film that capture or evokes a feeling that makes me like it more than dislike. I wanted something different and better but will take what I can get. For now anyway.

John, this is the best review/critique of the movie I've read so far. I would agree completely. I, too, enjoyed the movie, but thought it could have been much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112