Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purpose of harness in harness boots

tonypaj

Practically Family
What is the actual purpose of the harness in harness boots? Structural? Cosmetics? Practical dating from way back when?

I have a pair of harness boots that I love to wear, but the harness annoys me, I do not know why, but it just does. Especially the part at the heel. Then again I have also a pair of sort of semi-harness cowboy boots without the front strap, just the heel and side part. Those I like the looks of, funnily enough, but they are less comfortable, not good for travel and stuff like that.

What will happen if I have a shoemaker cut off the harness? Do I just get regular boots or do I destroy a perfectly good pair of harness boots?

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I have done this more than once - they end up looking like simple square toed cowboy boots. It has zero impact on the fit, just the looks. I would say go ahead. yOu can carefully cut the harness straps at the base of teh boot with an x-acto knife, just be careful not to cut the actual foot of the boot. It als ohelps to do this when the boots are still fairly new - the rings and hardware can leave permanent marks and tarnish on the leather underneath them, which can be unsightly if you choose to remove the straps.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I have done this more than once - they end up looking like simple square toed cowboy boots. It has zero impact on the fit, just the looks. I would say go ahead. yOu can carefully cut the harness straps at the base of teh boot with an x-acto knife, just be careful not to cut the actual foot of the boot. It als ohelps to do this when the boots are still fairly new - the rings and hardware can leave permanent marks and tarnish on the leather underneath them, which can be unsightly if you choose to remove the straps.

They are not old, got them last fall, but have worn them quite a bit. I guess I'm going to sharpen my Swiss Army knife's small blade while waiting for more opinions :). One question, though, the side parts are attached under the stiching. Did you have hard time covering or hiding the "double" part next to the stitching on the side of the boot? Or just a question of polish or cream, as the boots will scuff anyway...

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I have done it myself when the leather straps stretched out till they hunk down the heel on both boots. i recommend using a razor blade and cutting down toward the edge of the sole rather than cutting toward the foot of the boot. In the end after surgery the boot looks like a western boot with a square toe. Really not a big change. The straps always make me think of spur straps for some reason. I like the boots with and with out the straps so it was easy to to make the change. Good luck

billyb

Familiar Face
Personally, I think the original intent of the harness straps were to reinforce the top side of the heel and the instep to sort of clinch the foot to minimize "walking out of the boot". However, the only boots that I have seen that actually come close to making use of this idea are Viberg's 98 Snoot. Also, to avoid stretching of the straps as mentioned above would require the use of Harness leather. Hmmm, I may be on to something? I don't know of any boot makers using actual harness leather for the straps. Perhaps I'll request this since I have been eyeing these Viberg 98's for quite some time.

Here's a link to Viberg's 98 Snoot. Notice how the straps are clinched tight rather than just hanging their for style.

http://www.workboot.com/biker-boots/viberg-98-snoot.html

Just my two cents...

Edward

Bartender
These were products of the late 50's and early 60's. Harness boots were made to keep your foot/ankle away from the exhaust. The metal ring protected your foot and ankle.--John

Ah! I had always assumed they were purely a cosmetic thing, designed to echo spurs. Many years ago I had a pair of ankle-length cowboy boots that had a removable strap on them. It was basically a set of spurs, but without any actual spur on it. This back in the days when certain elements of cowboy imagery were fashionable among the hair metal set...

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Oh christ, I am begining to thing Edward and me must have been twins parted at birth.

Thanks for that John, they were quiet a thing amongst headbangers for a time when I was living in London but I could never figure out what the rings were there for.

kyboots

Practically Family
Won't say that a little sex and leather was thrown in at that time. What's better than a little leather among friends? A little or a lot more leather? and then harness boots. Bought my first pair at that time as a college freshman and wore them all the time. Sexy! Loved them came alive! More people were interested, then everyone had a pair! Still wear them. lol--John

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
These were products of the late 50's and early 60's. Harness boots were made to keep your foot/ankle away from the exhaust. The metal ring protected your foot and ankle.--John
Thats a new one on me, and I have been riding for 44 years! My exhaust have always been either low down, where you might melt the sole if you put your boot at an odd angle, or up high where your leg can get burned. If you ride with mid controls, the ring will beat up your clutch derby on the primary case! They are pure fashion, the spurs look. And yes, I have a pare right now, picked them up cheep last year.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I don't buy the protection thing. It was because of the outside ring on my right boot that I broke my ankle in an accident. And if the ring was resting on an exhaust pipe for any length of time, it would heat up and burn the boot, and eventually my foot. Not to mention scratching up the exhaust pipe.

dr.velociraptor

One of the Regulars
It is only for looks. I suppose the straps could possibly provide more structure to the boot, but probably it is pure aesthetics. I live in my Chippewa Engineer Boots, I don't think I can pull off the harness boots.

Tony B

One of the Regulars
Thanks for that scottyrocks, I was probably one of the only Danzig (metal band) fans in London at the time not wearing those boots because they always looked like the rings would crunch your ankles in the event of an off.

Twenty years later you confirmed my worse fears about the things , cheers.

kyboots

Practically Family
Thats a new one on me, and I have been riding for 44 years! My exhaust have always been either low down, where you might melt the sole if you put your boot at an odd angle, or up high where your leg can get burned. If you ride with mid controls, the ring will beat up your clutch derby on the primary case! They are pure fashion, the spurs look. And yes, I have a pare right now, picked them up cheep last year.

I didn't say "how well they would protect you" just what the reason given they were invented over 50 years ago and the folks had a good idea. They sure sold a lot of boots. First ones I bought were Frye and the metal was square not round. I think they are "spur like" too for all of us frustrated cowboys.Throw 'em in the back of those Ford F100's or get on BMW 650 and go! Frye came out with more boot designs in the 1960-1970's than ever. Broke the bank, I loved them all.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
sorry for reviving a long dead forgotten thread... I guess after several months of wearing mine, the harness somewhat guides the creasing shape around the ankle as the shaft sags around them, maybe other than that I don't see the purpose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points