Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting clear glass into vintage eyeglass frames

Gabe

New in Town
Found a few old 20s style black round glasses at the antique store. I was wondering if anyone new of a place that could put me in some non prescription glass in them without breaking the bank. People tend to give me weird looks when they notice I'm wearing empty frames. They have the original prescription glass in them but I can't use them. I was thinking about looking at the sun for a few minutes, so that I could use the original prescription lenses but.....Lol.:):)

Gabe

New in Town
Walmart does'nt want to do it. Neither does the local glasses store. I was wondering if anyone new of maybe an online site that would do it. Or if anyone knows where to buy 39mm glass circles to work perhaps...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Walmart does'nt want to do it. Neither does the local glasses store. I was wondering if anyone new of maybe an online site that would do it. Or if anyone knows where to buy 39mm glass circles to work perhaps...

I keep forgetting that not everyone lives local to 8 zillion stores of every type. I'm a short drive to at least a dozen opticians.

viclip

Practically Family
Googling "non prescription glass" brought up quite a number of hits.

You might also consider a safety supply outfit which provides safety glasses for persons with 20/20 vision.

Is it the problem that you need perfectly round lenses as distinct from shaped? Vintage eyeglasses that I've seen all seem to have called for round lenses, which aren't that popular these days.

As much as I detest plastic eyeglass lenses, you always have the option of picking up some plexiglass or other clear acrylic stock & making your own custom fit lenses ~ better than nothing I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points