Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Like I said, socks look good when they echo the colors of the pants.

More pics to follow.

Brownargyles-vi.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, that woks, but I have also seen socks that match the tie if it's a stripe or something like that. I have also seen socks that match a sweater vest and such. Those are way cool!

Like to see more bud!

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Tank, I think we are on the same page! I can't stand low waisted pants! The clip on braces look wrong all together.

People ask me some times: How can you wear your pants so high? Don't it bother you? I say: NAY! It's way more comfortable to have pants that fit where they should be.

As for the tie that goes on for days, I hate those too! Give me a nice short 40's tie and I'm a happy camper!

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I know the type. I see them all the time at Church. The big guys with their double breasted suit coats unbuttoned and a tie long enough you could swing from that have sports teams or cartoons on them. Eewwww!!! And they say I dress funny??? What ever!

By the way, I like your avatar Tank! Very cool. I would have a photo of my self for my avatar but, I don't look like my buddy Fearless Foss Dick. Got to keep in trend with my name.

See ya around bud!

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cool! Now that I look at it, it does have a bit of on the road look. But, if you want to take some real driving photos, come on over and sit in my ride! You're more then welcome to sit in Jenny!

Root.

Fuente

Familiar Face
Depends on the tartan and into which wardrobe item it is made.

BlackWatch and most of the Stewart's work well in some combinations.

A number of years ago (15-20) I had a number of dress shirts made from tartan cotton shirting fabrics. They were worn mostly with a blazer and a bold 2 bar rep tie. The blackwatch shirt went with a bold red and gold stripe tie. I don't recall which tie I wore with the Royal Stewart shirt but I always was complimented for getting the patterns to work well together.

As a Sport Coat or Dinner Jacket, Tartans are best left to go with solid shirts and slacks.

As an odd trouser tartans go best with a solid shirt but can be worn with a pattern sweater as long as the pattern is bigger and bolder than the tartan itself.

When new at the game of mixing patterns it is safer to work the colors tonally rather than having both pattern and color contrast. Once you get the hang of it you will be more comfortable in mixing both pattern and color.

Rich

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Ok, I would submit that - protection against the elements aside - there are three reasons to dress:
  • To intimidate/impress (other men]
  • to please (women)
  • to amuse (oneself)

These are not necessarily the same or even compatible.

It seems that whether a dressing style "works" depends upon which objective one has a the time.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Striped tie and plaid jacket. Works great if the two patterns are of relatively the same size and one pattern is overpowering the other.

Ideally I'd have cream flannel trousers pared with the heavier jacket, though I thought the linen's worked fine. I regulate my temperatur in odd ways.

The white cotton hanky shows i'm ready for anything.

Now if it were peak lapel and the breast pocket were higher it'd be perfect.

linenandcar-vi.jpg

Diner2-vi.jpg

Merlin

Familiar Face
Wild Root said:
Now, that's what I'm talking about!!! Good deal bud!

I have worn brown shoes with 90% of my suits and people have told me that you don't wear browns shoes with a dark blue or gray suit. I laughed and said, yes you can! I have seen it meny times over and over! If you wear black shoes with dark colors, it makes the whole suit dressier.

Brown is a way to dress things down with out wearing sweat pants and T-shirts.

Keep them coming bud!

Root.

I disagree that brown shoes are a way to "dress down" an outfit; on the contrary, I find that a nicely polished pair of brown or cordovan shoes can actually elevate a look, especially if paired with navy or gray. I once read somewhere (and forgive me for not being able to recall where) that putting on a pair of nice brown shoes does for a suit what placing something on a mahogany tabletop does; it imparts a warm richness to the item, and makes it look like a million bucks. That, and brown shoes tend to age better than black ones.

Just my 2 cents.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hummm, well I know what you mean. When I see color movies from the 40's, I see them wear brown with sport outfits or a nice suit. When they dress for the office, I see black shoes. I was regarding to the old fashioned way of doing things as I often do. To day wearing a suit period is not dressing down by any means no matter what color you shoes may be. If you had a good office job back in those days, black shoes were the shoe you were to wear. Most Businesses back then had a dress code! They required a hat, suit and black shoes. It of cores depends on the company you're working for and such, but that's the way it was.

Now, today if you wear any color of dress shoe, you're already for going to a wedding in most people’s minds. I love the brown shoe and what it can do for an outfit. But, the professional business man would wear black shoes but, when that man gets home, he wears brown.

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points