Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about fountain pens

viclip

Practically Family
Assuming that you carry the pen upright, I'd recommend a modern cartridge/converter, or else a vintage eyedropper. Those with screw-on caps are preferred in case the pen "burps" ~ during a recent hot spell I've had a modern Parker Duofold International burp ink due to heated air expansion (the threaded cap allowed no leakage).

The problem with plunger fillers (vac-fils), & vacumatics is that they have gaskets at the ends of their barrels so they can develop leaks in the nib up position. Their blind caps can't be relied upon to hold the ink flow if the rear gasket leaks. Button-fillers don't even have rear gaskets, relying only on their blind cap should the sac leak. As for lever fillers, ink can easily escape from out of the lever slot in the event of the sac going south.

So-called safety pens are eyedroppers however, their actuating knobs rely on gaskets at the rear of the barrel so again these can leak from behind. Ditto for piston-fillers, which also boast turning knobs at the bottom of the barrel.

Another good vintage choice would be a Parker 51 Aerometric provided that the barrel vent hole is on the side near where the barrel screws on (some versions had vent holes in the bottom of the barrel, which of course would allow ink to escape in the event of the sac leaking).

[edited to include reference to button fillers]

Last edited:

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
A good pen will never leak, regardless of the age, so long as it's in good condition. I speak from twenty years of experience.

Can one find a good cartridge pen new, off the shelf, for under $50? I have a terribly thin budget and regret I lack the time or temperament to invest in a vintage pen at the moment.

So folks, a question. I have long wanted to carry a fountain pen, but am absolutely terrified of one leaking and ruining my good suits. Is this concern in any way realistic?

I've been carrying a fountain pen nearly everyday for over 20 years. I've never had one leak. None have been "vintage" pens, however, so I can't speak for something from the 20s or 30s. But it does happen. How much you're willing to risk it is up to you.

Can one find a good cartridge pen new, off the shelf, for under $50? I have a terribly thin budget and regret I lack the time or temperament to invest in a vintage pen at the moment.

For a quality, low cost pen, I'd recommend the Lamy Safari. They are not fancy, but they are excellent quality and run about $25. They are cartridge/converter. I have a handful of them and they never let me down.

Nobert

Practically Family
If you want to try a vintage one, see if you can scrounge up an Esterbrook. They're not too hard to find in junk/antique shops and not too pricey. You can also sometimes find nibs for them.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
So folks, a question. I have long wanted to carry a fountain pen, but am absolutely terrified of one leaking and ruining my good suits. Is this concern in any way realistic?

These are my current favorite fountain pens.
I usually don’t carry them with me.
2wec39f.png

When I’m in the mood, I pick just one.

2ufvlup.png

I go to Tandy’s where I buy leather remnants & make my own.
Or else buy old leather eyewear cases at the thrift shops & convert them
to pen carrying cases.
I love the aroma of fountain pens, ink & leather .

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'll be really honest - if you have a fountain pen that leaks - then it's broken. NO fountain pen in good condition will EVER leak, unless you take it on an air-plane, and the air-pressure screws it up.

As for cheap pens under $50, Sheaffer, Waterman and a few other companies do produce them. They won't look fancy, but they'll do the job.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Hmm Shangas I've been thinking I need a vintage pen for a while, I know I'll get drawn into collecting a few and possibly that's not an issue.....what would you recommend as a 'vintage' pen that's easily available and reliable and cheap-ish ie under £30, I'd prefer deco styling either black or one of the marbled pens you see, preferably that accepts a cartridge for ease of use???

Nicely made pen case 2Jakes !

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
No vintage pen accepts a cartridge. And certainly no vintage pen from the 1920s or 30s.

You could get a Waterman Phileas, which is a cheaper, modern pen, with Art Deco-ish styling. That takes a cartridge or a converter. But that's about it.

It comes in various colours, but, this is your typical Waterman Phileas:

P1010084Medium.jpg

fiftyforfifty

Sponsoring Affiliate
No vintage pen accepts a cartridge. And certainly no vintage pen from the 1920s or 30s.

You could get a Waterman Phileas, which is a cheaper, modern pen, with Art Deco-ish styling. That takes a cartridge or a converter. But that's about it.

It comes in various colours, but, this is your typical Waterman Phileas:

P1010084Medium.jpg

Vintage styled modern fountain pen, cool option

Spudman

One of the Regulars
Vintage pens can be restored and unlike many vintage items restoration does not diminish their value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I just bought a TWISBI Vac 70 which holds a lot of ink, has a really fine point, and writes well after an initial cleaning. Its clear so you always know where you stand. All in all pretty cool.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
I've just acquired a Summit S175 and a Swan Mabie Todd self filler, there's no number on the Swan so I don't know which model it is.....do we have thoughts 're reliability of these pens, both need new sacs but are in otherwise decent condition.

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
not sure if this is the right place to ask... anybody ever hear of a company called penlawn? i bought a restored 40s fountain pen made by penlawn, and even the website i bought it from knew nothing about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto