Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: "Public Enemies" Fedora

TomS

One Too Many
Hi Folks:

I've been reading over some of the threads about the hat that Depp wore in the movie "Public Enemies". I'm wondering if anyone here has found a hatter that sells, or can make, a solid replica of Depp's hat?

If you have one of the hats, would you be willing to post a pic or two?

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Best,
Tom

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Art Fawcett can replicate just about any hat you'd want. Optimo, in Chicago, made the original hats for Public Enemies and sell a hat that's similar but not exactly like the original.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Optimo did indeed make the hat in question. They are also the only ones with the correct felt. Art and others have black cherry felt, but it is a different shade than Optimo's oxblood. Also, the film hat used vintage ribbon which is no longer available, so you cannot get an exact replica in that regard. The Dillinger model as shown on the Optimo website has a more tapered crown than the film hat, but they do have a straighter #52 block which they used on mine:
2011-09-15144500.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here is a vintage 1930s oxblood fedora, size 7 1/2, that I sold on eBay a few months back. Pretty darn close to Depp's "Public Enemies" fedora ... and yet, it wasn't even won by a Lounger. Didn't go for much money, either. [huh]

If you wish, TomS, please feel free to use the images below to show to the custom hatter of your choice.

IMG_2603-1.jpg

IMG_2606-1.jpg

IMG_2604-1.jpg

IMG_2605-1.jpg

June2010055-1.jpg

IMG_2607-1.jpg

IMG_2609-1.jpg

IMG_2610-1.jpg

IMG_2611-1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads