Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question regarding using Pecards on a painted flight jacket

heron163

One of the Regulars
I have an original Aeroleather A2 that is hand painted. I need to get the knits replaced with the original rust color as I did send the jacket out and they used a heavy seal brown replacement (it was in the mid '90's and I didn't know any better...)

The leather looks to be drying out. The painted back is still in fairly good shape but I am concerned about using anything that will act as a solvent on the paint or darken the leather.

is Pecards antique leather treatment suitable for this purpose or is there a better alternative? Thanks!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
There are many alternatives leather dressings available and suitable. If Pecards is what you wish to use and is easily available then use that, but most leather preservatives made for equestrian use will probably be ok and sometimes a lot cheaper. A favourite of mine which I have been using for 3 decades is Ko Cho Line and I have had no problems with it. But thats just me as I don't think anyone else on here uses it.
Nearly all will darken the leather on application, some dressings will lighten up as they dry out, others may not
COME ON YOU PECARDS FANS! lets hear from you all :p

Justhandguns

Practically Family
There are many alternatives leather dressings available and suitable. If Pecards is what you wish to use and is easily available then use that, but most leather preservatives made for equestrian use will probably be ok and sometimes a lot cheaper.

I think we want to know whether Pecard will affect/dissolve the painting, not really about the leather. Have you tried Ko Cho on those successfully?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Well now, I have never used pecards as it was not available when I first bought an old WWII A2 so took advice from the people at the local equestrian supplies as they did deal with 40-50 year old saddles etc.
Though I have not had as many decorated jackets as some on here, I did apply KO Cho to a couple of painted jackets and it did not desolve or soften any paint. I would be more worried about paint flaking off through wearing to be honest

Stand By

One Too Many
I used the finishing coat of clear Soft Wax by Annie Sloan (for her Chalk Paint range) on my painted ANJ-3 (see the How Top Paint On A Leather Jacket thread) and it goes on clear and adds a protective and water-resistant finish to the paint and it has had no ill effects that I could see. It does says on the tin: "The wax will appear to darken the paint but on drying this won't be so apparent". It says that but it wasn't at all apparent to me. I used the dark version of the Soft Wax to get that effect.
I would only use the Annie SloanSoft Wax on the painted areas - and use whatever conditioner you prefer for the rest of the jacket.

CBI

One Too Many
Pecards works great on painted leather. done it MANY times. the colors will pop a bit.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Well now, I have never used pecards as it was not available when I first bought an old WWII A2 so took advice from the people at the local equestrian supplies as they did deal with 40-50 year old saddles etc.
Though I have not had as many decorated jackets as some on here, I did apply KO Cho to a couple of painted jackets and it did not desolve or soften any paint. I would be more worried about paint flaking off through wearing to be honest

I have a jacket with a painted patch. Has some heavy flaking and cracks evident. Someone a long time ago had put a coat of clear lacquer over it. What is interesting is that I have a photo of the patch taken over 20 years ago. The flaking and cracking has not changed since then. Looks exactly the same now as it appeared 20 years ago. The lacquer has definetly stabilised the deterioration. May be a sensitive topic for some whether it is OK to apply a protective coating over flaking paint.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have a jacket with a painted patch. Has some heavy flaking and cracks evident. Someone a long time ago had put a coat of clear lacquer over it. What is interesting is that I have a photo of the patch taken over 20 years ago. The flaking and cracking has not changed since then. Looks exactly the same now as it appeared 20 years ago. The lacquer has definetly stabilised the deterioration. May be a sensitive topic for some whether it is OK to apply a protective coating over flaking paint.

I did this years ago also, just a very thin film of varnish as the paint was flaking every time I wore it. The back had the picture from the December 1943 Esquire by Varga(s), most of the painting was there but the girls head was almost missing, hence the first time I wore it the jacket gained the name 'The Headless Angel'. I got an artist friend to sympathetically paint the head back in. Right or wrong? Guessing wrong by the serious collectors

meanmuvver4_zps51ee69e3.jpg

AdeeC

Practically Family
Unless kept in museum like conditions, painted finishes on leather will continue to deteriorate steadily over time. Applying proteclive lacquers is an old time preservation technique so I can't see anything wrong with it IMO if the jacket can't be kept in a static climate controlled glass case with muted lighting.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
/\ Most I have seen are kept in a static glass case with glaring lighting such as the ones at Duxford museum here in England. Last time I looked at Dan Knights jacket it was dry as a .... ....(we can't say that here). But then we do want to see them don't we.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points