Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Yep, the nice allround-wintercoat. Cozy, (heavy warming), classic looking, available nearly everywhere, even on priceworth massmarket (woolfelt-blend instead of wool) in usual chain-stores.
Take your burgundy check-winterscarf and strangers greet you, maybe, because you look like coming from the theatre, etc.. ;)

Onizuka

New in Town
Gents!

Hello! New to the forum. Recently acquired two vintage peacoats, one from a vintage clothing store in NYC, the other on ebay. The vintage store one seemed pretty easy to date (post WWII '47-50, thanks Peacoat!), but the ebay one has me a bit confused.

The listing had the peacoat dated to Vietnam era. However once I received it, the coat had 10 buttons and a throat latch (WWII??). Having a look a the label though, it does indeed look like late '60s. Would anyone be so kind to help me date the lovely peacoat? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1636.JPG
    IMG_1636.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,200
  • IMG_1638.JPG
    IMG_1638.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 2,248
  • IMG_1639.JPG
    IMG_1639.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,353
  • IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,422

Peacoat

Bartender
If you aren't pranking us, then I would have to say someone has sewn a 1966 tag into this WWII peacoat. In enlarging the picture of the tag, it appears there are stitch holes at the bottom of the tag. The stitching around the tag appears suspect as well. What does it look like to you, having the benefit of seeing it firsthand?

BTW, welcome to the Lounge.

Onizuka

New in Town
Wow! Incredible someone would do that. I wholly agree with your assessment. And with your agreement, I'll will ask my wife to remove the tag. It's a shame, the coat was intended for her (Size 34 was the smallest size kersey wool peacoat I could find.) But when she tried it on, the shoulders were way too big. I don't think it make much sense to alter this peacoat with that level of modification.

Here is a link from the ebay sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/282425290719

Here is a short video I made to take a closer look:

Gamma68

One Too Many
Why would someone sew a later tag into a WWII peacoat?

I would think a WWII peacoat is going to be worth more than a Vietnam era peacoat. So why try to pass off a more valuable peacoat for one of lesser value?

Peacoat

Bartender
You got that coat for a very good price. The seller thought she had a VN era peacoat, and advertised it as such, when it actually is a WWII coat. Yes, I would remove the tag. Use a seam ripper if you have one to avoid damage to the lining. Underneath the tag you will probably see machine stitch holes where the original tag was attached.

Feetlebaum

New in Town
Mr. Peacoat, have you ever seen a 1966 with this type of tag? I was searching for another example of the tag and the only one similar to it that I could find was on this thread, but it was a 1968.
I say that the one I have is 1966 for the fact that it has the double row of stitching on the cuff, as well as the tag not featuring the date within the contract number. (You've taught me the former ended in 1967, the latter began the same year.)
20170821_175954.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
I think you are pretty close with the 1966 date, but it could be a 1967 holdover with the double row of stitching on the cuffs. The DSA number is consistent with a 1967 tag. No, I don't remember seeing this tag before.

We can narrow it down to a year or two, but getting an exact year on every 50 year old peacoat is asking a bit much, especially when so many anomalous tags were used. Also please remember that there were some seamstresses who delighted in using old tags they found lying around in the shop for the sole purpose of confusing researchers 40, 50 and even 100 years in the future. It is difficult enough to follow the trail without dealing with misdirection, whether intended or not.

Feetlebaum

New in Town
You're right, a pinpoint date isn't needed, nor very sane. Getting it within a couple years is good for me. I'm glad I got your opinion. Thanks! This thread, and the guide you made has been really helpful.

Adam_C

New in Town
I just bought my first vintage peacoat on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/401411671958) and have a few questions about this WWII version:

1. This is obviously a WWII peacoat but is there anyway to know which year it was manufactured?
2. Though the label matches the stenciling and is correct for the age range, the label stitching looks a little funny, is that anything to be worried about?
3. It looks to be in very good condition with no obvious repairs needed but I would like to clean it. Is it safe to take to my local dry cleaner?
4. I feel like I got a good deal at $122 (free shipping), would you guys agree?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the blurry pics, they were taken by the seller.

Peacoat 1.jpg
Peacoat 2.jpg
Peacoat 3.jpg
Peacoat 4.jpg
Peacoat 5.jpg

Peacoat

Bartender
1. For a coat that is over 70 years old, I think WWII is as close as we can get. I don't have any examples of early WWII tags. They may all be the same, for all I know.

2. The label stitching is nothing to be concerned about.

3. Dry cleaning is safe and will make the shell look better—fresh and fuller.

4. Yes, you got the coat for a very good price.

Semper Fi Adam and welcome to the Lounge.

Salem

New in Town
Hey guys,

I've been private messaging Peacoat with various questions for a bit but thought I might open this up to the forum to possibly help others.

I have a peacoat (around 1952) that had a rip in the collar.

I brought it in to get restitched as it was curling the back of the collar.

The seamstress did the best she could and it doesn't curl anymore.

My question is: is this a small collar for a 1952?

[URL=http://s3.photobucket.com/user/Outerman/media/IMG_3185_zps3uir2gym.jpg.html] [/URL]

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
Hey guys,

I've been private messaging Peacoat with various questions for a bit but thought I might open this up to the forum to possibly help others.

Why don't you measure and put down the height of the collar? I haven't gotten my peacoats out yet, but it will be pretty soon as winter is starting to creep in here in New York. I can measure a few of mine and let you know.

Hey guys,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch