Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Leather jackets

1avrgjoe

Familiar Face
Its not what your looking for but I could've sworn someone was looking for this J crew jacket but didn't want to pay its close to $1000 price tag. If your a bargain hunter then heres your chance :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330840611519?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I saw this one when it 1st got posted. I did start a thread about Jcrew Stockton racer. My point was that I thought it was crazy the Jacket cost almost $1000 and it's made in China. I got a cafe racer, the Schott 141 about a month ago and it's my favorite jacket, I posted a pic of it, I love it even more than my new HWM. Thanks though.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess it all depends on the price. I bought an A-2 repro from RL which was on sale and with employee discount (Courtesy of a friend) which brought the price from USD 1500 to less than 500 bucks. I am happy with it.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I guess it all depends on the price. I bought an A-2 repro from RL which was on sale and with employee discount (Courtesy of a friend) which brought the price from USD 1500 to less than 500 bucks. I am happy with it.

Same here :

I bought this on ebay for $87. There was a small ink stain on the front. Oil painting
is another of my hobbies & I was able to paint the stain away.

DSC_0745-1.jpg

Although it doesn't compare to Aero or Schott , I like that the back is one piece.

DSC_0748.jpg

This A-2 by "Ralphie" $125 @ swap meet.

DSC_0756.jpg

I painted the patch just for kicks…something I wouldn't do on the better jackets.

DSC_0762.jpg

These are fun , comfortable jackets for the "right" price , I have never or would
ever pay the store retail price . Soon I will be receiving my Goodwear jacket
which is in another league of it's own.

Last edited:

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
I would go with Vanson, aero, Lw....... before fashion brands IMO.

Not everyone wants to wear a briefcase on their backs, I had a Vanson Model B and it wore like a straight jacket, I liked it, but can see why others wouldn't want it. A lot of folks like the fashion leather and buy just on looks.

Damn, Is Vanson's comp cow that stiff compared to you schott 689h?

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
I would go with Vanson, aero, Lw....... before fashion brands IMO.

Not everyone wants to wear a briefcase on their backs, I had a Vanson Model B and it wore like a straight jacket, I liked it, but can see why others wouldn't want it. A lot of folks like the fashion leather and buy just on looks.

Damn, Is Vanson's black comp cow that stiff compared to you schott 689h?

Trust But Verify

New in Town
I can totally respect a person wanting to be comfortable in their clothing but just remember that even a heavy-duty leather jacket, well-made, will break-in and soften nicely over time and mold itself to the wearer's body. Fashion jackets like the Ralph Lauren, J. Crew, Andrew Marc, Banana Republic, Hugo Boss, will be less likely to fit well in a few years; they'll just become sloppy because the artificially-distressed leather just doesn't have anywhere else to go. These are usually all sized on the S/M/L/XL scale and not properly sized to the wearer's suit size (38, 40, etc.), so most people can only get a close, but not correct fit. Also, "imported" in retail speak always means "Made in China"; if something is made in an area associated with quality craftsmanship like USA, Japan, Europe or Canada, it will always say so as a selling point rather than tucking "imported" on the last bulletpoint of the item description.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
Ralph Lauren's Cherry Creek store in Denver and the Aspen, CO store stock most of the RRL items. The majority of RRL merchandise is good to very good quality but the retail price is a huge let down. You can buy a higher quality Good Wear, Aero, Vanson for much less money. RRL routinely goes on sale (eg I just bought a pair of buckleback jeans that we $340 retail for $140) and they had some of their excellent selvedge denim on sale for 40% off recently. Ralph Lauren's purple label suits are excellent, for example, but you can get a custom suit of equal quality for less cost.

Clearly, everyone has their own cost/benefit in buying a jacket. For me, on sale, I might be interested in the RRL jacket because it's a quality jacket and you'd get instant gratification. At retail prices I'd order a Good Wear or one of the other custom makers because their jackets have more cache for me. I've seen the RRL A2 in person and it's a nice jacket - a much nicer jacket than I've seen in any other mall store. I don't like RRL's sheepskin models but I don't like sheepskin jackets in general.

RRL is truly a case where you pay a significant premium for the name and the retail mark up in a mall store.

bumphrey hogart

One of the Regulars
My brothers got 7 RRL leathers!
I have 3 aeros and persuaded him to buy one, he just couldn't get on with the stiffness and weight, he spends most of his time in cars,trains and planes, just puts on a coat to move from one 'indoor' area to another, and wants something he can take off and on easily and will be easy to carry.
I live in a rural area,have 2 dogs and mess around outdoors a lot, an RRL probably wouldn't last me 5 minutes.
He bought them all from a particular British clothing discount store and none cost more than £300 and he loves them, and just can't understand how I can wear my FQHH stockman.
I suppose the point is it'd be daft to buy any coat that didn't work for your lifestyle regardless of who made it or what it was made of, and I must admit even though my aeros are well worn in they're still a pain to drive in and I only wear them if I'm spending most of my time outdoors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21