Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Re)Book-em Danno

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
The new McGarrett and Danno spoke more to each other in episode two's car ride scene than the original McG and Danno ever did in eleven seasons together on the original--on screen or off! The new guys are definitely "Chatty Cathies."

On the whole, the show's not bad, and I knew that Scott Caan would be the best part of it. "AOL", however, doesn't resonate at all. It would seem he's already forgotten about his murdered pappy, which was used as the "hook" to form the team.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
^That could be more the writing than the acting. I for one find Dan-o really grating: a little grousing about one's ex goes a very long way with me. I kept waiting for Steve to say, "You picked her out, buddy."

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
I love the original, so I thought I’d give the new incarnation a shot, but it turns out I just can’t stand it, seems very soap opera-ish. A few action sequences performed by actors dressed in a less than professional manner and strung together with 3rd-rate storytelling; just didn’t draw me in.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Last night, I saw an episode of the original show where Wo Fat was central to the story. It was a completely different show from the new one. Without the new show's name or theme song, I wouldn't even recognize it as a new version of the original.

When I was a little kid, I thought Jack Lord was the coolest guy. Seeing him again, I still think he is.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Paisley said:
^That could be more the writing than the acting. I for one find Dan-o really grating: a little grousing about one's ex goes a very long way with me. I kept waiting for Steve to say, "You picked her out, buddy."

I'm not sure of the current divorce rate, but I'm sure the New Danno is "speaking" to thousands upon thousands of recently-divorced dads going through the same thing; it's by no means entertaining to me (happily married, no kids) but who knows, maybe the writers are preaching to their choir.

BTW, I'm re-watching Five-O's fifth season again and James MacArthur delivers his finest performance in "Pig in a Blanket" which focuses on his friend and HPD officer being killed and Danno's reaction to same. He also shoots another kid. The interaction between Jimmy Mac and Jack is tremendous, unlike the "Iron John" trainwreck the new Danno-McG relationship is turning out to be.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure many people identify with Dan's anger and frustration, but it doesn't make him a sympathetic character to someone with a different perspective. Being less angry, or at least more self-controlled about it, would make him more likeable and more believable as a good policeman, who should not be easily upset.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I'm sure many people identify with Dan's anger and frustration, but it doesn't make him a sympathetic character to someone with a different perspective. Being less angry, or at least more self-controlled about it, would make him more likeable and more believable as a good policeman, who should not be easily upset.

That's part of my "problem" with many contemporary shows. If a character is not constantly shown to be "edgy", "conflicted", or just plain bothered, then it's not "realistic." It's ironic that today's actors, while claiming to be more realistic is that they end up chewing more scenery than Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, and any other melodramatic Golden Age performer, and it's all done under the claim of realism.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I like the series. Good chemistry between the leads. I really like Daniel Dae Kim. While I grew up watching the show, if find Jack Lord really stiff and mechanical today. As remakes go, I think it is pretty good. Now don't get me started on the proposed "Rockford Files" remake....

That's part of my "problem" with many contemporary shows. If a character is not constantly shown to be "edgy", "conflicted", or just plain bothered, then it's not "realistic." It's ironic that today's actors, while claiming to be more realistic is that they end up chewing more scenery than Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, and any other melodramatic Golden Age performer, and it's all done under the claim of realism.

From what I heard, that Detroit 1-8-7 main character epitomizes that "realism." Only in Hollywood would such behavior be considered appealing.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I remember when I was going to UH and sometimes I'd be driving down Kapahulu and Monserrat and think to myself; "hey I remember this from Hawaii 5-0". The scenes on this show do not have the same effect.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Civil rights enthusiasts may be offended by the new McGarrett's blasting an air horn in a suspect's ear during an interrogation--after making the guy take his own "Date Rape" drug cocktail, of course. There was also another episode where new McGarrett throws a gun smuggling suspect--the second banana from the Doogie Howser show--into a floating shark cage thing to get info out of him. He should try "waterboarding" his next tightlipped suspect. shakeshead

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
You're leaving out the episode where McGarrett took a suspect and shook him like a throw rug over the edge of a building.

As I recall from the shark cage episode, though, tourists used the cage to safely observe sharks; the suspect wasn't in actual danger--but he didn't know that.

I just finished a book called Mistakes were Made (but not by me). It says the police have gotten false confessions from people using tactics that aren't nearly that frightening.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Last night's episode continued the mediocrity. Spoilers ahead...

In these politically correct times, it was blatantly clear that Kevin Sorbo's character was the killer, as corporate CEOs/real estate developers/"white guys" are the only villains left in contemporary movies and TV. God forbid should anyone else, like the extremist environmentalist or the Hawaiian drug traffickers--who "went legit", according to new Chin Ho, so they're only "conditional" bad guys. Also, only new McGarrett and new Danno are permitted to be wacky and irreverent, because the rest of the supporting cast must be "dignified" and perfect in every way. They serve as little more than "local color."

The usually intrusive music wasn't too bad this week, but the urine-colored process filter made Hawaii look digital and fake. I guess they thought they were improving on nature.

The car chase: Just an excuse for new Danno to spout "funny" lines. Wasn't he supposed to be ex-New Jersey police? Wasn't he ever involved in fast car pursuits back east?

The only good scene was new McGarrett's stand off with the tough guy drinking the Blue Hawaiian cocktail(!)

59Lark

Practically Family
We should be happy to have at least two or three shows we can stand versus none or having to watch surviour or big house crap, i just would some more retro ideas , also did anyone else see the sister taking something out of the fathers toolbox.? What do you say paisley you seem to watching this new series very closely. I am waiting for the human target , it has already had two date release changes. waiting for something decent to watch, have watch a lot of jag dvds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ