Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reagan cowboy hat

pjstrass

One of the Regulars
there have been many pics of Ronald Reagan wearing a cowboy hat during his presidency...I think it is usually/always the same hat....does anyone know what brand and style this is....if you just punch in Reagan cowboy hat there are several websites which show the hat...thanks..and yes, I have asked a couple of the big hat companies and no one knows...

Corky

Practically Family
It looks like a costume hat from one of his movies...

It looks like a costume hat from one of his movies.

Movie cowboys of that era usually had one particular style of hat that they wore in film after film, to create a memorable character.

e13-3.jpg

This was his on-screen style during his cinema career:

1reagan2-toe.jpg

Actor Ronald Reagan loads his gun in the 1953 western film Law and Order, in which Reagan plays a retired US marshall who can't hang up his holster.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
pjstrass said:
there have been many pics of Ronald Reagan wearing a cowboy hat during his presidency...I think it is usually/always the same hat....does anyone know what brand and style this is....if you just punch in Reagan cowboy hat there are several websites which show the hat...thanks..and yes, I have asked a couple of the big hat companies and no one knows...

I have a Resistol Rancher that I bought on eBay with an open crown that I tried to copy Reagans hat with. It looks pretty close to me. I have a Stetson Spartan that could probably be re-bashed and would look close, but Reagans hat was more of a "bone" color than silverbelly I think.

KY Gentleman said:
I...but Reagans hat was more of a "bone" color than silverbelly I think.
I've got several Silver Bellies that all seem to have a different shade to them. The patina of RR's hat with wear in the California sun could account for it looking more bone. I know the SB OR that I wear for bushhogging the pastures is a lighter shade than my other SB's, even the other OR ones.

Not to split hairs but I'd say the hat shown on RR's head above is no 4" brim. That is why I went with the Rancher model which is 3.5" brim. The crease of the Library hat is closer but not the brim, IMHO....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112