Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy buco j 100 vs Eastman j 100 vs aero j 100 ?

BlueWallpaper

Familiar Face
Long time lurker but first time posting. Wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or continue this one, since my question is somewhat related.

I have J-100 from Aero (in Russet brown) which I absolutely love. Prior to it arriving I tried on a RMC (but it was 44 which was too big for me, I'd need a 42, but otherwise it seemed to fit). I was surprised that black didn't look terrible on me and it kindled some interest in getting a black J-100 as well, which I was thinking I'd get in Shinki for a bit of variety. At 6'2" the sleeves on most Japanese brands seems way too short when I look at the measurements (I wonder if the RMCs for the western market are made longer?) so Himel is my front runner. That said, I'm curious as to whether any tall people have found Japanese J-100s that fit them (the sleeve would need to be 27 inches)? Also curious, given the length issue, whether people have any opinions on any other brands I should take a look at.

As well as being curious about RMCs being longer for the western market, does anyone know if all the RMCs are Shinki? So for example the US supplier (Superdry) doesn't specify so I'm curious as to whether that means they're potentially a different leather.

Superdry sells Real McCoys???!!!
I thought the only place to get RMC was Standard and Strange. Dont confuse the RMC with Superdry's Real Hero jackets @ $275. I don't think those are Shinki.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I have also gotten my RMC jacket soaked and it only came out better for it. I won't go out of my way to get it wet, but it honestly looked slightly better afterward. I think it sort of helped with the shine of the leather.

BlueWallpaper

Familiar Face
on the question of have any people over 6’ found a japanese leather jacket that fit, anyone find/know of anything (my guess is no, but wanted to ask)? love the flathead sky blue j-100 but the sleeves would barely make it past my elbows....

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
on the question of have any people over 6’ found a japanese leather jacket that fit, anyone find/know of anything (my guess is no, but wanted to ask)? love the flathead sky blue j-100 but the sleeves would barely make it past my elbows....

I am 6 feet tall and sleeve length is the primary obstacle for the vast majority of Japanese OTR leather jackets. Some of the RMC sleeves are slightly longer and work for me, but would likely be too short for someone 6'2'' or taller. Rainbow Country sleeves are also longer than most, but still shorter than desirable.

The problem with FH jackets (and most FH products) is the broad shoulders compared to the chest dimensions. For my chest size, the shoulders on all FH jackets are far too wide.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I am 6 feet tall and sleeve length is the primary obstacle for the vast majority of Japanese OTR leather jackets. Some of the RMC sleeves are slightly longer and work for me, but would likely be too short for someone 6'2'' or taller. Rainbow Country sleeves are also longer than most, but still shorter than desirable.

The problem with FH jackets (and most FH products) is the broad shoulders compared to the chest dimensions. For my chest size, the shoulders on all FH jackets are far too wide.
This is the same reason that I do not own any Flat Head leather jackets, despite loving the brand so much.

Bruce White

New in Town
I bought a black (not tea core) RM Buco J-100 second hand from this forum a few weeks ago.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/fs-real-mccoy’s-buco-j-100.92210/

I've always liked the J-100 pattern. I considered the DD version, but it seemed to have pretty baggy sleeves. The RM version runs slim - most advise to size up. I'm a 40 and bought 42. It isn't too trim; as a matter of fact, I have plenty of room everywhere - except the forearms which are quite slim. I'd prefer a bit more room in the forearms, but I think it will stretch out a bit. It looks spectacular with the slim sleeves and high armholes.

I'd put it on and step outside for a pic, but it's freaking -8 F (without the windchill).

Bruce White

New in Town
I have an original Buco Leather Jacket that I purchased in 1966 (I believe it is also known as a J-100 style) when I bought my first motorcycle. I was looking to sell it but I have no idea of it's value. When I go online I see prices ranging from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. What I know about my jacket is that it is 100% original, in real good condition with a few surface scratches on one sleeve. I need some expert advice here. It is a size 40, I would post pics but I'm a newbie here and haven't figured that out yet.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I have an original Buco Leather Jacket that I purchased in 1966 (I believe it is also known as a J-100 style) when I bought my first motorcycle. I was looking to sell it but I have no idea of it's value. When I go online I see prices ranging from a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars. What I know about my jacket is that it is 100% original, in real good condition with a few surface scratches on one sleeve. I need some expert advice here. It is a size 40, I would post pics but I'm a newbie here and haven't figured that out yet.

40-46 is the desirable, hard to find size range, and if it's in the type of condition you describe, it could well go for $1000+ or maybe more to a motivated buyer if it was listed with good photos, accurate measurements, etc. You'll probably get the best price for it in Japan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points