Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy's B-3

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This jacket is a bit of an enigma. It has a RM label in it along with a Made in the United Kingdom label. The fleece was from the Fenland tannery, which could account for the made in the UK label, but there is no proof it was actually manufactured in the UK. BTW it is a superb B-3, the best repro that I have owned.

P1110009_zps20493cae.jpg

P1110010_zpsf0214ac9.jpg

P1110011_zps5ec69eb6.jpg

P1110012_zps7c663f66.jpg

P1110013_zpsdf7cf6b7.jpg

P1110014_zps73b1451c.jpg

P1110015_zpsab5be42e.jpg

Last edited:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Looks like ELC made it to me. Those narrow cuffs are distinctive. McCoys made in NZ have a wider pattern lower arm.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like ELC made it to me. Those narrow cuffs are distinctive. McCoys made in NZ have a wider pattern lower arm.

There is no evidence to confirm this opinion. The jacket is different from all the ELC B-3s that I have owned/seen. Why would RM put their label on if ELC made it? If you really think ELC made it email Gary and ask him.

John Lever

One Too Many
I would say that the cuffs are very typical of RMNZ, short with a very well constructed inner seam. I can tell from the collar that this is not an Eastman. Andrew and I have discussed this jacket at length and I have also asked Paddy who told me that RMNZ have never had a UK factory in her time. It could be some kind of made under licence attempt to avoid import duties. Paddy did once tell me years ago(10) that they did have a footprint here in the UK but gave up.
The Red Tails jacket I sold recently is very similar but with lighter wool.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
The triangular reinforcing strap over the collar strap looks unusual ?
On the ELC RW it's the other way round as is the original they show.
I had a look through a 13 year old RMCJ catalogue and it's not that arrangement either.

Last edited:

sg1011

New in Town
Comparing this jacket to my RMNZ B-3, I would say that it's definitely a Real McCoys B-3. Not only are the collar and shape of the arms very RMNZ, but the wind flap is also a dead give-away. Eastman's wind flaps are narrow and stiffer. The RMNZ wind flap is wider at the top and tapers at the bottom.

paulgt3

Familiar Face
I agree with Andrew, I have a Eastman B-3 and Andrews B-3 is an order of magnitude more luxurious. My Eastman B-3
doesnt have that much contrast in the seams, the ELC being more of one color. That Jacket Andrew looks very much like
John Chapman made it with a longer shearling and a deeper more rich color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112