Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Received my new Lost Worlds Buco J23 (also comparisons to other jackets)

wraithetc_

New in Town
http://imgur.com/a/q0D1G

Ordered it after reading about it here. I have to say the threads on the company and the website are pretty amusing.

From ordering to receiving was about 5 weeks. Stu was pretty much super responsive and short the entire time.

The fit and build on the jacket are top notch. It's probably my best fitting jacket. It's a size 44 and I measure just 44-45" around the chest and ~35" waist. The weight is on the heavier/stiffer side, but not the heaviest of the Jackets I own.

My only criticism is the tiny main jacket zipper, which is sort of annoying to use. No other jacket uses this small of a zipper.

In regards to thickness from heaviest to lightest of what I own would be:
Vanson Chopper = Langlitz Goat Columbia >= Lost Worlds J23 > Thedi Phenix >>>> Coach Bleecker

In regards to stiffness from most to least stiff:
Vanson Chopper > LW J23 > Thedi Phenix >> Langlitz Goat > Coach Bleecker

Fit quality for an athletic build from best to worst (all jackets same numerical chest size):
LW J23 (fits waist, chest and arms 100%) > Vanson Chopper (slightly small forearm area zipped) > Thedi (slightly wide in the waist and slightly big shoulders) = Langlitz (sleeves are somewhat wide = Coach Bleecker (slightly wide in the waist)

Awesome jacket and thank you for the review and comparison! Means a lot to us who never had a chance to handle LW. Is it the 4oz, heavyweight stuff or the lighter version? I'm not entirely surprised to hear it's actually lighter than Vanson. Vanson comp. weight leather can be... Insanity.

wraithetc_

New in Town
Dirty bathroom selfies delivered.

http://imgur.com/kgaufKz
http://imgur.com/OCPbmwM
OCPbmwM

kgaufKz

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Agree with you on the zipper. While perhaps period correct, it's rather small, especially if you wear gloves. Very nice looking jacket indeed.
Awesome jacket and thank you for the review and comparison! Means a lot to us who never had a chance to handle LW. Is it the 4oz, heavyweight stuff or the lighter version? I'm not entirely surprised to hear it's actually lighter than Vanson. Vanson comp. weight leather can be... Insanity.

Monitor - since I now have a Vason Highwayman in Competetion weight leather, it's bordering on 1/2" plywood for break-in. Nothing quite like it. May well be years, literally.

Reactions: xmr

Peacoat

Bartender
Agree with you on the zipper. While perhaps period correct, it's rather small, especially if you wear gloves. Very nice looking jacket indeed.

Monitor - since I now have a Vason Highwayman in Competetion weight leather, it's bordering on 1/2" plywood for break-in. Nothing quite like it. May well be years, literally.
It won't take too many years. Maybe a year if you wear it everyday for a year. When it breaks in, it is soft and malleable. A very nice hide.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Yes indeed. Very Nice Fit on the Jacket.

Thanks too for the very interesting comparison write up. That Vanson leather must be like a saddle, I know what the heavy LW feels like.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the comparison, that is really useful :)
The jacket looks fantastic on you, you need to wear it regularly :D

John_Z

Familiar Face
Looking good dude. I envy you.

I've had one of these for many years. 4oz+ HH. It's by far the heaviest, stiffest HH jacket I've ever owned.

As for the main zip I went for the WWII sprung Crown upgrade. It's the other end of the scale to yours & wouldn't look out of place on a piece of luggage. I also went for the wool lining upgrade.

Having no intention of ever belting it I took the opportunity of having Stu make a bespoke version. It has no belt, loops, fur collar or any of the associated fastenings. So it has a somewhat cleaner, uncluttered look.

It's not a jacket I've worn for many years now, which is a shame considering the amazing workmanship & considerable investment. Unfortunately for me at my advancing years I just feel too conscientious of not being young enough to pull off looking good in it. So it lays in a drawer gathering dust.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
I'll echo others, great jacket and fit. Also sounds like typical good Stu interaction, he's a no nonsense guy!

It's a great jacket and the fit looks perfect. I had one some years ago and passed it on as I felt the Vanson model E was a better riding jacket. Ultimately tho the LW was easily one of, if not the nicest jackets I've ever handled and weighed a legitimate 10lbs plus.

mihai

A-List Customer
Congratulations, good choice - classic design and a fantastic craftsmanship. I am always amazed by how flawless LW jackets are despite leather thickness.
Thanks for leathers thickness comparison, very useful.

Speaking about LW hide size/thickness. I noticed that lately(last few years) that their HH got less heavy compared to what it used to be. I have a 15 yrs old J23 in russet HH and a NYPD black HH since 5 yrs ago. The russet one is thicker/heavier than the black one. A year ago I ordered a russet HH (asked 4oz) jacket. I was surprised to see that the HH was feeling somehow lighter and more pliable than my old J23/NYPD. The coating seemed less substantial also, and rather more mate. Although the jacket is top, I have mixed feelings due to the leather. Now is rather stiff, having worn it a handful of times but in time it will prob become too soft for my liking. For that price point I'd like to see an "indestructible" jacket(my taste just). I'm wondering what determined this change in hh quality? (not necessarily better or worse but just different).

Last edited:

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Mihai would like to see fit pics of your russet J23. Not finding enough images of russet MC jackets around...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21