Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend a hat

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
In a few days I will be leaving for my first trip out west to Phoenix. I will mainly be around the Grand Canyon and I have no idea what type of hat to bring or purchase before my trip. Unfortunately, I will be leaving in just a couple of days so I don't have time to order anything online.
Can anyone recommend a hat I can pick up at a store like Khols, Target, Walmart, Belk or a Dillards?

I finally get to feel a "dry heat" instead of my local "very humid, shirt stuck to your back" North Carolina heat! lol

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What style are you looking for? Price range?
Without any other information, I can recommend a Tilley. Several stores carry them in your State. Look under "Retail Stores" and you will get a list.
http://www.tilley.com/
Only other hat I would recommend on a last minute basis is a cowboy/outback style. Look up your local tack shops in you yellow pages.
If you can find a local hat shop, all the power to you. The only local one in my city is more of a fashion, stingy brimmed, kind of store. not much good for sun protection/travel hats.
Hope that helps.
Johnny

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Research shops that are out there and find something you really want.
It will be much more fun to come home with a hat you bought on your trip.

Edward

Bartender
In terms of practicality, I would highly recommend something along the lines of a felt bush hat. Though hotter and a little sweatier than a straw, it's a bit more flexible if there's a chance of rain, making it the ideal travel hat. Rain might not be much of an issue where you're going, but thinking ahead for future trips....

AlanC

Yeah, you're going to find that something like a Tilley or a cowboy type hat is all that you'll be able to find. Also try feed stores (Southern States type places) for work straws. You want something with a good sized brim. Since you're in a hurry I wouldn't spend too much.

While in Grand Canyon area will you be visiting any cities or small towns. There might be a hat shop. OR There are cowboy stores that carry hats and boots and jeans and such. You might check there. You could get a cowboy hat and later do a cowboy conversion to fedora, there is a couple of neat threads on the conversion process.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Thanks a lot of the input. I'm hoping to find something that i'll like to wear a lot instead of just once in awhile.

I'll see what I can find out there and hope for the best. I'm not sure how much time i'll get to just look around since I'm there on business. I may just bring an old cavanagh out there for at least the plane ride there:D

Lefty- that is a really neat link you sent me. Being down here in the south, I may have to check that conversion out for myself!

Mahagonny Bill

Practically Family
A few folks have recommended Tilley hats and I heartily agree. I usually wear a TH4 Hemp Tilley in hot weather to keep the sun off. It is remarkably breathable and soft enough to pack or even roll into a pocket without loosing shape. Well worth the effort to find. The web site also has reasonable overnight shipping fees if you are in a hurry.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
A good western wear store you might try is Sheplers. They have some locations in Phoenix. http://www.sheplers.com/storelocations.cfm

One thing to remember about the southwest is that it can be very windy much of the time. So try to get a hat that fits snug, or has some kind of a wind string to keep it from blowing away - especially if you get to a Grand Canyon "overlook" :eek:

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Oh, thanks for the tip WideBrimm. I'm not sure exactly where, but I am being taken to the Grand Canyon.

You're right Mahagonny Bill, a lot of people have recommended the tilley. I'll check out the website

Thanks again everyone

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
MDphoto said:
In a few days I will be leaving for my first trip out west to Phoenix. I will mainly be around the Grand Canyon and I have no idea what type of hat to bring or purchase before my trip. Unfortunately, I will be leaving in just a couple of days so I don't have time to order anything online.
Can anyone recommend a hat I can pick up at a store like Khols, Target, Walmart, Belk or a Dillards?

I finally get to feel a "dry heat" instead of my local "very humid, shirt stuck to your back" North Carolina heat! lol

Arizona heat sucks too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:( Have a great time at the Grand Canyon.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
johnnycanuck said:
What style are you looking for? Price range?
Without any other information, I can recommend a Tilley. ...
Johnny

A Tilley!? C'mon man. Something with some style! ;)

A straw Open Road will be perfect and he'll fit right in with the locals.

johnnycanuck

Orvil, a straw open road sounds nice, but I have never seen one in a store. Being MDphoto stated he wants to buy one before he leaves I just recommended the good quality hats you can buy almost anywhere.
Johnny
P.S. Style is subjective. One persons ugly is another persons Prince.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch