Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~Recreating Hair styles of the 1940s~

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I definitely recommend the foam stick curlers as the easiest and fastest way to achieve a vintage set. They are also much more comfortable than sponge rollers, and quite inexpensive, too. The set they produce is similar to a rag curler set, but they are faster to roll and remove in the morning, too.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
I definitely recommend the foam stick curlers as the easiest and fastest way to achieve a vintage set. They are also much more comfortable than sponge rollers, and quite inexpensive, too. The set they produce is similar to a rag curler set, but they are faster to roll and remove in the morning, too.

i second this. i've been using the foam stick curlers for awhile now - they are very easy to use and very comfortable to sleep in, and linking them through each other gives a nice lift at the roots. i recently had layers put in my hair and when i set it with the foam stick rollers (ok, my hair is only about chin length, so i use smaller sponge rollers for the shorter hair underneath, and i do my bangs with pincurls), i end up with curls or waves that look like they were set with pincurls. they give a really lovely set!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pretty faythe said:
Daisy, is there Smiths or Food 4 Less out that way? They are all part of the Kroeger family and many carry the same products.

Thanks for the info Faythe:) We don't have any of those markets around here. I'm gonna check my local chain markets to see if they happen to sell them there, just so I can have an extra set. I've been using mine so much, they are getting pretty worn. I think the ones made by Goody are of higher quality and might last longer, since I use them just about every night.

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I would like to ask if bangs are period for the 1940s. I don't seem to come across many photos with them. If so, what kind of bangs? If not, is there any other time or place in the past when they were popular?

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Sassy Curlers

I'm interested in these, but how do they work? I've looked at the pictures and I'm a bit confused...

Thanks!

OH! and one more thing.... what works best for my routine once I start exercising again in a few days is to set my hair at night and then work out in the morning. I don't get sweaty or anything as I'm only walking briskly, but I don't want my hair to get messed up. Do you think it would be best to keep something like the sassy curlers in while I work out and then take them down?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Re: Sassy Curlers

I've used these a couple of times, but I'm wondering if I'm setting my hair wrong with them. I have fine, thin hair that takes a curl fairly easy. My hair is very curly after I use these, no matter how large of a section of hair that I use. Would any of you gals that use the Sassy Curlers be brave enough to post a photo of yourself wearing the Sassy Curlers? I'm wondering if I placed the curlers wrong. I ended up looking like some type of Medusa with the pointed ends of the curlers sticking straight up. (Kind of terrifying to look at in the morning! lol ) If I can't get them to create the style I want, I may sell them.

Currently, I'm having better luck curling my hair with the Hot Sticks and after the hair has been heated thoroughly with the sticks, but not cooled, I'll take the sticks out and put in the sponge rollers and then let the hair completely cool in the sponge rollers. It give me slightly larger and smoother curls. Today I did rolls and curled the ends and I was rather pleased with the results. But I don't have any photos because hubby is gone for the weekend and took the camera :( .

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks, Kitty, for informative links. I was curling my hair with the Sassy curlers by the 2nd link's method. The first link showed the hair to be set like large pincurls. That's very interesting. I just wish there was more details explaining the whole styling process with the Sassy curlers. There wasn't much info given with the curlers when I received them.
Guess I'll just have to keep practicing....;)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
BonnieJean said:
I was curling my hair with the Sassy curlers by the 2nd link's method. The first link showed the hair to be set like large pincurls. That's very interesting. I just wish there was more details explaining the whole styling process with the Sassy curlers. There wasn't much info given with the curlers when I received them.
Guess I'll just have to keep practicing....;)

i use the foam pillow rollers, which are pretty much the same thing as the Sassy curlers. I just roll all my hair down, and toward my face in the front. With slightly layered hair, that kind of simple set looks just like pincurls when brushed out!

Kimberly

Practically Family
I use the foam curlers too and have noticed that my hair is now getting frizzy after using them. I don't know if it's because my hair is getting longer or not. [huh] . I am not due for another cut for another 3 weeks or so and don't want her to cut too much off because I want it just above my shoulder blades. Perhaps I need larger rollers? What size rollers do all of you use with slightly above shoulder length hair?

Thanks

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Watch your tension when rolling on foam and sponge curlers. If your hair is wound really tight at the ends they will appear quite frizzed when brushed out. Also, sleeping in rollers can frizz hair just from wallering around.

Larger curlers can help. Esp. if your hair takes curl extremely well. Mine is like that and even after I brush it out I usually have to put in some shine balm and form each ringlet around my fingers. Kind of how the beautician did the little girl's hair in that video someone posted!

Just keep trying different things Kimberly, don't give up on growing it out!

By the way, I wish they'd make hot rollers like they used too! I've bought a few brand new sets over the past few years and they do NOT hold/curl well at all. My old set would last forever, I usually hated it the first day it was so curly!

Nikki

Daisy Buchanan

I too was going to tell you to watch your tension when you put your hair in the curlers. Also, end papers work really well at preventing the lower portion of the curl from frizzing and also kinking. I don't know about you, but I tend to wrap the bottom part of the section I am curling a bit too tight. I've been trying to be better about this, but I feel like if I don't wrap this part with a little added tension, I won't be able to place the rest of the section into the curler. I've been better at trying to keep it looser, the end papers not only prevent frizz and kink but they make the section easier to place in the curler. I don't feel like once I start rolling the ends will be too loose and just slip over the curler rather than wrapping around it.
Also, after I have dampened the section with some setting lotion, I add a dab of anti-frizz/shine serum, especially to the ends right before placing in the curler. I still have to add the serum when my hair is taken out of the curlers, I do this before combing them out, but I think adding a dab of anti-frizz serum before curling does lessen my frizz. I know getting a hair cut will also help this, but I just haven't gotten around to that. Supposedly sleeping on a satin pillow case will also reduce frizz.
I don't think, no matter how much product I use, I will ever be able to have hair with no frizz. In the summer it can just be uncontrollable due to the high humidity we have. Spraying my hair with a sea salt/kosher salt water solution before setting helps to activate my curls and makes them less frizzy. I always end up with a head full of nice curls after a day at the beach. I figured it was from the salt water and humidity, so I gave it a try at home and it worked. Warning, it does make your hair a little more tangled, thus trickier to brush out. But, it works for me especially on humid days.:)

Thanks for the link Faythe! That is very cool. :)

Daisy Buchanan

NoirDame said:
I'm interested in these, but how do they work? I've looked at the pictures and I'm a bit confused...

Thanks!

OH! and one more thing.... what works best for my routine once I start exercising again in a few days is to set my hair at night and then work out in the morning. I don't get sweaty or anything as I'm only walking briskly, but I don't want my hair to get messed up. Do you think it would be best to keep something like the sassy curlers in while I work out and then take them down?

Hi Noir Dame! The Sassy Curlers work the same way that Hot Sticks, the hot rubber curling sticks work. Basically you wrap your hair around the stick as you would around a regular curler. You can do them tight or loose, in small sections or bigger sections depending on how tight and thick you want your curl to be. Then once you have rolled up your hair you just take the straight end and place it in the hole on the other end. You can just push it in til it's secure, not pulling too tight if you want a looser curl. Or you can pull it through all the way, having a lot of tension, to make a tighter curl. They are very easy to use and no annoying clips or pins to keep the curler in place. They are also really lightweight, they are the most comfortavel curelers to sleep in.
It would be just fine to leave the curlers in while you do your morning exercise. I usually don't take mine out first thing in the morning. I usually shower with mine still in for I think the humidity in the shower helps activate the curls. Good Luck:)

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
OK, this isn't 40's, late 50's-early 60's is more like it, but I'm thinking of cutting some little "whiskers" (dunno what else to call them) over the ears, like Brigitte in this picture:
bardot.jpg

And Shirley Jones here:
1360a.jpg

Jean Simmons wears her hair like that too in Spartacus, but I could't find a pic. I think it looks really cute with a ponytail but I'm not sure if it will be possible to tuck the "whiskers" away when I get fed up with them? I'm a bit unsure about it so I'd like to hear if anyone else finds this look cute? I really like the look of the young Brigitte Bardot, when her hair was light brown:
BARDOT.jpg

I'd love to hear your opinion! :)

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
Ooooh! I love that look, and it's one that is so seldom worn these days! With a little gel, you can still wear your up and away from your face, just comb it through ..

pic of Jean with it (grab a magnifying glass) ..

brando_simmons_desiree_pubport.jpg

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Daisy.....

Ok, one more question about Sassy Curlers...should I dampen my hair at all...the updos link had them put in dry hair? I think I read that jitterbugdoll was putting them in and then patting them with water or setting lotion.

Thanks!

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
OK so tomorrow i'm going to put my dry (but clean) hair into strategically placed foam rollers and spray it until quite wet but not soaking with a healthy miture of setting lotion and water.

What say you, Beauty Room-ites?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
NoirDame said:
Thanks, Daisy.....

Ok, one more question about Sassy Curlers...should I dampen my hair at all...the updos link had them put in dry hair? I think I read that jitterbugdoll was putting them in and then patting them with water or setting lotion.

Thanks!

Yes, I use them with damp hair. So, in between washing my hair, I roll my dry hair and then pat it with water; with freshly washed hair, I wait until it nearly dry, comb a dab of setting lotion in, and then roll my hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ