Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing x Nigel Cabourn Munson Boots vs Viberg 1950 Service Boots

Deckard

New in Town
Hello,

I am new to these forums although I have been reading parts of it for awhile.
Anyway, I am planning to buy a pair of nice winter boots. I am thinking of either Red Wing x Nigel Cabourn collaboration, the Munson boots or Viber 1950 Service Boot. I would like the recent Viberg x Nigel Cabourn Expedition boots but I have better use for my money.

Does any of you own either pair? I tend to think Viberg's sole will last longer and the Vibergs seem to be double stitched to the sole. And while I think it is a nice and warm idea to have the RW boot lined with Harris Tweed the question is how long will the lining last? On the other hand the Viberg is more expensive and seems to have less toe room (resulting in colder feet).

Which will last longer in urban winter conditions? The RW seems a bit more rugged but looks can be deceiving...

If anyone has any input I would be grateful.

Regards,
Dan

PS. If anyone has tried Aero Leather's Hobnailed boots I would be glad to hear feedback about those too (for autumn or winter hiking in the woods and snow).

Graemsay

Practically Family
I missed this the first time round.

I've only seen a couple of pairs of Viberg boots, but they look a lot more solid than Redwings. I haven't seen the Munson boot, so I don't know if that's any better made than the rest of the range, but personally would go with the Viberg Service Boot. Particularly if the price is similar for both.

The Aero boots are made by William Lennon. Lennon boots feel much more solid than Redwings, are cheaper in the UK, and can be ordered from the factory with Vibram soles instead of leather and hobnails. Oh, and they're all made on 100 year old machines. I think that some of the detailing isn't as nice as on Redwings since they're actual work boots, not fashion goods, but the leather feels better and they look a lot more durable.

If you're into old school service boots, then Lennon sell the B5 Replica Boot.

P1080749%20copy-big.jpg

There are a couple of threads on William Lennon on the board. Most people seem happy, and I've got a pair on order.

JanSolo

Practically Family
The Viberg anytime!! I've seen the RWxNC in person and I wasn't very impressed. Shoes or boots based on the Munson last generally look very appealing to me but Red Wing's take looks too clumsy and big in my opinion. I also don't know if the tweed lining will hold up well. The Viberg looks much more refined and classic to me and you are right about the sole...it will last longer.

A beauty it is:

servicecalfskin.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Those are all very nice boots. I believe the boots I have for sale here on the classifieds are made by William Lennon, but a military application as they have actually four layer sole on them, the bottom sole is removable. The boots are very well made, solid. I am sure they are although not made recently they are in new condition as they have never been worn. The boots on the AERO website are similar in many ways, but do not have as thick of soles and are a derby and not a cap toe.

Deckard

New in Town
Thanks for the replies. I ordered a pair of Vibergs, although I decided to go with the Scout on Superdenim instead of the Service boot. Should arrive any day now.
Although might order the hobnailed things from Aero too considering the low price and I think it is best to have at least two winter options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk