Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regional fads?

KissKissSpoilers

New in Town
Hello Ladies!
I was talking to my grandma for a school project on historical fashion a couple of years ago, and I just found my notes and I got really interested again.
She grew up in the Mission District of San Francisco (I think I have that right) and was born in I think the mid-thirties. She was talking about some of the fashions when she was a teenager, and one that she mentioned is really unique. Or at least, i can't find any pictures or other records of it. When she was in high school, they would wear these plain headscarves, just for around their neighborhood and over their curlers(Never to go downtown). They would be these just plain scarves, and the girls would embroider them in bright colors. Things like their boyfriends' names, their names, flowers, that sort of thing. Now, the really interesting part is the way they tied the scarves. They would knot them up on the chin, not under. She mentioned that the scarves would always get lipstick on them from doing this, so I'm doubtful that she means under the chin like most of the photos I can find have them. This would have been some time in the mid- to late-forties, I think, possibly a year or two earlier. Again, I can't find anything else on this, so I think it must have been a regional fad? [huh]
What I'd like to know is, has anybody else heard of this? Was it fairly common and I'm just looking in the wrong places? Also, does anybody else have any interesting things like this to share?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto