Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remember the leather jacket fad of the 70's?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fashions come in, and go out again. Then come back in again as "vintage". Thanks for the tip GHT on hunting down a memory. The Village, Little Italy, NYC early mid 70s. Tough guys wore them (and they were not poseurs, trust me). Not trench coat, but not blazer either. They were always black, boxy, but shorter than "Carlito's Way". Difficult for me to find used sizes. And even I have to admit that some of the widest lapels are a little out there. :)
I still have one of those. I took it out of the closet recently and noticed it was from "The Leather Shop" at Sears and that it was made in Newark, N.J. (I grew up right next-door in Elizabeth). Funny, because I'd just finished reading Phillip Roth's "American Pastoral," which has a lot of fascinating info on the Newark leather industry. Roth goes into great detail on the making of fine leather gloves: everything from the sourcing of the leathers, the tanning processes, and right down to the fine stitching. I couldn't help thinking that some Loungers might be very interested in the book.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
You might search for Grais - Angel Skin or Cabretta. Or Cresco. Or Schott. Or Lakeland. I've got one or more of each of those brands in about the length you are looking for. Or I think about the length. They were all mainline brands and good quality. All defunct today as far as I know, except for Schott.

Michael

Hey Michael
Found a couple Grais Angel skin Cabretta in brown with lots of fancy stitching like sunburst, both front and back. Not exactly what I was looking for, but they are going for a song. A little fancy looking with all that stitching. Are they made out of goatskin as the name Cabretta implies? I think Cabretta means little goat, probably in Italian. The sellers didn’t know.
Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I took a few photos of a couple of Grais Angel Skin Cabretta coats today,
Brown Grais Angel Skin Cabretta by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN7442 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Black Grais Angel Skin Cabretta Coat by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN7453 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN7454 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I think these both have quite a few hours on them and they are developing a little character. If you click through a photo to my flickr page there are also photos of a Sear Leather Shop, a Lakeland, a Sklar, and maybe one or two others.

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Hey Michael
Found a couple Grais Angel skin Cabretta in brown with lots of fancy stitching like sunburst, both front and back. Not exactly what I was looking for, but they are going for a song. A little fancy looking with all that stitching. Are they made out of goatskin as the name Cabretta implies? I think Cabretta means little goat, probably in Italian. The sellers didn’t know.
Thanks for the tip.

I think cabretta is from an animal called a hair sheep. They look rather more like a goat than a sheep. It's supposed to be a tough leather and I think it used to be the high end choice for glove making.

Michael

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
The band (Focus) which I think shows off the 70s style in its full glory. Clasically trained musicians but injecting greatly lacking HUMOR into popular music with their hit "Hocus Pocus"...if it were up to me and I could revise the proto-punk narrative, I'd put them next to the MC5 or Dolls for that very reason. There are hints of the punk spirit found in these early 70s bands. Don't get me started with the 60s garage rockers (which many saw the label as derogatory and not really applicable...cue in the Remains, Knickerbockers, etc who were chasing commercial success and could have passed for the Stones or Beatles but were devalued into the "garage" label, especially later). Some of that stuff made the Stooges sound tame. I think Legs McNeil had the Seeds in mind, among others, when he coined the term "punk". But they weren't really reacting to anything, mainly short hair intertwined with teenage hormones,so no reactionary movement unlike punk fighting stadium rock boredom.

Hey @nick123
Loved the video of Focus ll Moving Waves. The guy on organ must have been a bit warm in that cool sheepskin jacket. Certainly not "garage", or punk music. They sound more like Jazz musicians with classical training. Lots of time signature changes. Love the guy playing what looks like a Gibson Les Paul standing in front of a big stack of Fender amps. Must have been a big sound for such a small room, but the sound and the video were done very well. That music could hold up to anything today. No added computerized techno gizmos, just a band playing live in a room.

And wearing leather jackets, and 70s style. Cool!

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Brown Grais Angel Skin Cabretta by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN7442 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I think these both have quite a few hours on them and they are developing a little character. If you click through a photo to my flickr page there are also photos of a Sear Leather Shop, a Lakeland, a Sklar, and maybe one or two others.

Michael
Simply love the black one. Simple but stylish cut, wonderful grain, and you rock the lapels, which are a not to ridiculously 70s size. If you ever see one like the with 27" sleeves let me know. 44L

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Simply love the black one. Simple but stylish cut, wonderful grain, and you rock the lapels, which are a not to ridiculously 70s size. If you ever see one like the with 27" sleeves let me know. 44L
Looking at this Grais. It is certainly not something "the boys" would have worn in the old neighborhood. What do you think of all that fancy stitching?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142623589381?ul_noapp=true

Grais Angel Skin.jpg

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Looking at this Grais. It is certainly not something "the boys" would have worn in the old neighborhood. What do you think of all that fancy stitching?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142623589381?ul_noapp=true

View attachment 98506
The stitching looks like it was meant to evoke the straps on a Norfolk jacket. Those had something of a comeback in the late '60s to early '70s I believe. Looks like nice leather in it. The cabretta is very supple and comfortable to wear.

I would say the black one of mine has the most hours on it. It's the only one that shows any actual wear to the finish. I'll keep my eyes open for a 44L. These jackets aren't terribly uncommon and I usually see at least a couple of them a year, often in long sizes.

Michael

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Yes. Grew up in the same time frame. I bought a black leather cafe racer type jacket from Wilson’s that I put on layaway. I paid it in installments, and was very proud of it. It had thick padding on the elbows and elsewhere. Looked like something that Judge Dredd would wear in a sci-fi movie. I think it could probably stop a bullet. Those were the days.

I also bought a Wilson's on layaway once LOL. This would have been in 81 or 82. I was a Jr in high school. It was a short waisted style in black with zipped sleeves that were long, running up past the elbow. All zippers were black plastic

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Fashions come in, and go out again. Then come back in again as "vintage".
You are not wrong, here's Mick Jagger taken in 2003, I'm sure he wore that coat in the 70's, or something similar, but I just can't remember where. The guy never puts on an ounce, I've seen more fat on a butcher's apron, no wonder he can recycle his clothes.
Mick Jagger Knighted.jpg

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Brown Grais A
ngel Skin Cabretta
by Michael A2012, on Flickr
D
SCN7442
by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Michael

Pretty nice grain on those old Grais. Got a couple coming in the mail, they are dirt cheap. Just can't find one in black just like yours. Hard to find long sleeves, as usual. Thanks for the tips, and great photos!
:)

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Pretty nice grain on those old Grais. Got a couple coming in the mail, they are dirt cheap. Just can't find one in black just like yours. Hard to find long sleeves, as usual. Thanks for the tips, and great photos!
:)
Cool. Hope you like them and will look forward to seeing the photos when you get them. I only buy locally, but they do fit a poor mans budget going that route. They were a Chicago company so maybe they are more common here in the midwest.

Thanks,
Michael

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
The mail carrier had to come to my place twice today with 2 different jackets.
This Grais certainly has the late 60s early 70s vibe. Very soft, lightweight, and comfortable. Sure, it's not FQHH, CXL, 4 oz., or Shinki, but the leather seems pretty sturdy. A bit to fancy for my taste with all that stitching, but very clean lining, and solid stitching, in excellent condition. What do you want for $67. :)

Grais Closed.jpeg

Grais Open.jpeg

Graise Open Flat.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
If you can get to New England in January, the third to be exact, this 1972 racing jacket is being auction at Saco River auction house. It has a reserve of five grand, must be something special:
1972 racing jacket.jpg

John Lennon's Racing Jacket.

Reactions: SJC

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's cool Jonesy86 - I like it, it has a bit of retro flair - the price and the serendipity of finding it is my favourite type of leather jacket purchase.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Pretty sure that's a 90's car coat, Jonesy. I had one of those. That basic design was huge in the mid to late 1990's and is based on a early 1960's style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto