Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remix Shoes!!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been eyeing a pair of Remix 1940's wedges for a while now, and I'm about to place my order. I have a question for you ladies about sizing, again. According to their sizing I would need an 8. I usually wear a 6.5, but I double measured my favorite shoes inside and out, and the remix 8 seems to be correct. My question is, according to their sizing charts, these wedges seem a little narrow. To you gals who have them, do they feel that way to you? This is important to me for I have a very flat foot, and get a better fit from a shoe that is a little wider. I wouldn't want to buy these if they run narrow. I am also interested in the quality of the leather and the stitching. I am planning to do some walking in them. I'm choosing them not only because they are cute, but because I need something with a thick sole that might be comfortable for a little more than average walking, without buying a sneaker. What do you ladies think, based on my needs?

Lotus Leroux

One of the Regulars
Hi Daisy,

I have a pair of Remix wedges and the style is a sling back. In fact, when I went to Remix to buy a pair of wedges I was initially eyeing another pair. Unfortunately, because I do have a narrow foot, the style I wanted initially was too wide for me. So my experience has been that they do not run narrow. If anything, they are average width.

Hope this helps!

Daisy Buchanan

Thank you Lotus!
This is exactly the information that I was looking for. I think I will go ahead and order them tomorrow. I guess I can always return them if they aren't wide enough.
Thanks for your helpful advice!!

Snookie

Practically Family
Daisy, if you're willing to wait until you come out to LA in November, maybe you could make a side trip to the Re-Mix store, if you're really nervous about the fit and quality. I always wear an 8M, and that's my size at Re-Mix, so you probably shouldn't go up in size too much. I do remember having to break in my shoes, but now the leather in the upper fits me perfectly. They don't have hardly any padding, so comfort might be an issue for you.

I just got my Aris Allen wedges, and they are more comfortable than the Re-Mix shoes, but there's only one style (several color options). They have laces in the front and a buckle in the back, so they're pretty adjustable. I wore them dancing last night, and I liked them a lot. http://dancestore.com/shoeswomens.html

Daisy Buchanan

Snookie said:
Daisy, if you're willing to wait until you come out to LA in November, maybe you could make a side trip to the Re-Mix store, if you're really nervous about the fit and quality. I always wear an 8M, and that's my size at Re-Mix, so you probably shouldn't go up in size too much. I do remember having to break in my shoes, but now the leather in the upper fits me perfectly. They don't have hardly any padding, so comfort might be an issue for you.

I just got my Aris Allen wedges, and they are more comfortable than the Re-Mix shoes, but there's only one style (several color options). They have laces in the front and a buckle in the back, so they're pretty adjustable. I wore them dancing last night, and I liked them a lot. http://dancestore.com/shoeswomens.html

Thank you so much Snookie, that is very good to know. I'm especially grateful for your input on comfort. I am looking for shoes to bring on a two week trip to Italy, and I'll be doing a lot of walking on cobblestone. I know the best thing would be to bring sneakers or hiking boots, but I just can't bring myself to wear them. I'm going to bring nice tweed, kind of vintagey pants and a line skirts to wear with tight lightweight sweaters or turtlenecks. Not the most vintage of looks, more like an english countryside look, but my point is I want to look nice enough, and sneakers will throw off the entire look. I have looked at Mephisto and La Candienne, but they are double the price of the Remix shoes. I know, I should put comfort over style, especially since I have rheumatoid arthritis which can cause a lot of pain in even a sturdy pair of shoes. I will definitely look at the link you sent me. I thought because the soles on the remix shoes were so thick that they would give me more support. I guess that isn't always the case. I think my best bet would be to get a pair of wedge boots up to just below the knee. Then I would have complete support from below the knee. La Canadienne makes a great pair, but I just don't want to spend the money on them. Although, when it comes to comfort and support, I've heard they are well worth it.
Ugh, I've gone on and on again!!! Sorry to be such a horrible bore! I'm going to check out the link tomorrow, and do some research on finding stylish walking shoes.
I would love to take a trip to the remix store. Unfortunately, I need the shoes before I go to CA. We are going to Italy for the two weeks before the QM, we only have one day home to relax before we get back on a plane to fly out to Long Beach. Hard to believe we'll practically be travelling half the world in such a short period of time.
OK, enough from me!! Thank you sooo much for your very helpful advice. This place is so wonderful and helpful, especially the gals!!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Daisy Buchanan said:
I am looking for shoes to bring on a two week trip to Italy, and I'll be doing a lot of walking on cobblestone.

When my wife and I were in Florence, we learned that one of the great talents of Italian women is their ability to stride gracefully across cobblestone streets -- in stiletto heels.

I think you'll be fine with your shoes. Just watch out for the cars!

Daisy Buchanan

Marc Chevalier said:
When my wife and I were in Florence, we learned that one of the great talents of Italian women is their ability to stride gracefully across cobblestone streets -- in stiletto heels.

I think you'll be fine with your shoes. Just watch out for the cars!

Thanks Marc! I'll try to stay away from the cars. Yes, Italian woman are beautiful, and I've heard they are incredibly well dressed. I don't want to look completely out of place, so I've been planning my wardrobe accordingly. Like I said mostly pretty skirts with form fitting sweaters. The shoes, those are a problem. I think no matter what I get, I'll be cropping my feet out of all of the pictures!

maisie

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
I've been eyeing a pair of Remix 1940's wedges for a while now, and I'm about to place my order. I have a question for you ladies about sizing, again. According to their sizing I would need an 8. I usually wear a 6.5, but I double measured my favorite shoes inside and out, and the remix 8 seems to be correct. My question is, according to their sizing charts, these wedges seem a little narrow. To you gals who have them, do they feel that way to you? This is important to me for I have a very flat foot, and get a better fit from a shoe that is a little wider. I wouldn't want to buy these if they run narrow. I am also interested in the quality of the leather and the stitching. I am planning to do some walking in them. I'm choosing them not only because they are cute, but because I need something with a thick sole that might be comfortable for a little more than average walking, without buying a sneaker. What do you ladies think, based on my needs?

I've also got a pair of slingbacks and these seem narrower than there other 2 pair i have recently got which are a lot wider. I also find the remix shoes very comfotable, as there is a little bit of padding, but i suppose it depends on the style you go for. I wore mine all weekend (well nearly!! lol) at a dusty, military show, which has the worst ground to walk on and they were great and that was the first time i had ever worn them as well!!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
Thank you so much Snookie, that is very good to know. I'm especially grateful for your input on comfort. I am looking for shoes to bring on a two week trip to Italy, and I'll be doing a lot of walking on cobblestone. I know the best thing would be to bring sneakers or hiking boots, but I just can't bring myself to wear them. I'm going to bring nice tweed, kind of vintagey pants and a line skirts to wear with tight lightweight sweaters or turtlenecks. Not the most vintage of looks, more like an english countryside look, but my point is I want to look nice enough, and sneakers will throw off the entire look. I have looked at Mephisto and La Candienne, but they are double the price of the Remix shoes. I know, I should put comfort over style, especially since I have rheumatoid arthritis which can cause a lot of pain in even a sturdy pair of shoes. I will definitely look at the link you sent me. I thought because the soles on the remix shoes were so thick that they would give me more support. I guess that isn't always the case. I think my best bet would be to get a pair of wedge boots up to just below the knee. Then I would have complete support from below the knee. La Canadienne makes a great pair, but I just don't want to spend the money on them. Although, when it comes to comfort and support, I've heard they are well worth it.
Ugh, I've gone on and on again!!! Sorry to be such a horrible bore! I'm going to check out the link tomorrow, and do some research on finding stylish walking shoes.
I would love to take a trip to the remix store. Unfortunately, I need the shoes before I go to CA. We are going to Italy for the two weeks before the QM, we only have one day home to relax before we get back on a plane to fly out to Long Beach. Hard to believe we'll practically be travelling half the world in such a short period of time.
OK, enough from me!! Thank you sooo much for your very helpful advice. This place is so wonderful and helpful, especially the gals!!

I have found all of three of my recently purchased Remix wedges to be very comfy after days of walking, so I'm sure you'll be fine. And if worse comes to worse--you could order two pair--one in a 7 and the other in an 8 and see which pair works for you and then return the other pair ASAP.

I agree about no sneakers in Italy--you'll be immediately pinged as a tourist in them.

Good luck!

Daisy Buchanan

Miss Dottie said:
I have found all of three of my recently purchased Remix wedges to be very comfy after days of walking, so I'm sure you'll be fine. And if worse comes to worse--you could order two pair--one in a 7 and the other in an 8 and see which pair works for you and then return the other pair ASAP.

I agree about no sneakers in Italy--you'll be immediately pinged as a tourist in them.

Good luck!
Thank you. The shoes are sooo cute, and will look so much better with my outfits than some sort of sneaker looking walking shoe. Although, I still think I'll buy a pair of boots with a wedge, just in case my feet get tired in the remix.
Thank you all so much for such great advice.

ricki

Familiar Face
Daisy - someone posted on It's All Swing that they had some of the Remix shoes at the Tannery in Harvard Square. I haven't checked it out, so I don't know which styles, but it might be worth checking out.

Daisy Buchanan

ricki said:
Daisy - someone posted on It's All Swing that they had some of the Remiix shoes at the Tannery in Harvard Square. I haven't checked it out, so I don't know which styles, but it might be worth checking out.
Oh, that is great to know. I live just a few minute drive to Harvard Square. I think I will drop by there tomorrow to check it out before I place my order.
Thanks so much for the info.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Babydolls

Can anyone tell me if the babydolls run true to size. I'm usually a 7. I emailed the folks at Remix and they said they run true, but some will go up 1/2 because the of the rounded toe.

I'm infamous for ordering things online, finding they don't fit and then never returning....

Honey Doll

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Daisie, you are so pretty. I'm sure you'll fit right in in Italy. It's so beautiful there. I'm so jealous. Hopefully just a matter of time before we're back in Madrid for good. Have a superb time. Italy is wonderful, people, food, the works. What's not to love. But maybe not your first trip!!!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Thanks

LizzieMaine said:
I'm a 9 1/2 according to the shoe-store measuring gadget, but a 10 in Re-Mix babydolls fits me perfectly. Given the height of the heel, I think going a half-size up is a good idea!

Thanks Lizzie-- I'm ordering them in a 7 1/2!

Honey Doll

Daisy Buchanan

I was just perusing the Remix website and found quite a few pairs that I hadn't noticed before. Not sure if they are new, or if somehow I just passed them by. Anyway, I've never ordered from them because I'm worried about the sizing issue. But, I think I'm gonna go for it.
Well, these are two of the pairs that I'd never noticed before. They seem to have a bigger selection than they used to. Thought I'd post some pics just in case some of you ladies hadn't seen these. The price is a bit steep, but they do seem to be well made.
I'm still deciding between the Anita and the Balboa, it'd be nice to get them both, but I already had my heart set on a pair of the Briarcliff wedgies. I've been putting off purchasing them for a while now, and know I'll regret placing an order and not getting at least one pair of 40 style wedges. They are just so darn cute, and look incredibly comfortable. Twenties/Thirties heels Fourties Wedgies

Sunny

One Too Many
This seemed the best thread to post my question on. Despite the title, this one seemed to have the most reviews of the most styles, plus sizing questions. :)

I've been in serious need of cute casual shoes for several years. I finally figured out my problem: I love the shape of a classic pump so much that I don't like anything else. Period. There's certainly no lack of spring and summer shoes in the store, but I simply don't like them! So I don't buy them. I've had to muddle through the last few years with two pairs of very flat sandals (Greek/Roman/ish style) that are very casual, and a few pairs of random shoes from years past.

These days I'm dressing vintage- or vintage-inspired even more, and I really want something better. I don't like super flat shoes, except for said Roman sandals, which are already very casual. That cuts out all the ballerinas, which are very cute, but I don't care for how they feel or look on me. My vintage "era" is late 1930s and 1940s, too, and I just can't combine that with 1950s flats. Yes, I'm OCD about a few things. lol

All that to say, I've finally decided to bite the bullet and budget for some Remix wedges. Pink Dahlia's question this morning reminded me I needed to get on it. And the brown babydoll pumps are on sale, too, and I've been looking for brown pumps for two years! So it's meant to be. :D

My question is mainly on style and color.
  • I need something in a basic color that will go with a lot of things, including modern denim skirts. (Real skirts styles, not jeans-style skirts.) My modern sense of style tells me to look for a neutral, like tan or brown.
  • I need something neither too dressy nor super casual. (If I wanted casual, I'd be looking at the flat platform sandals, which are darling.)
  • I don't want to look too granny-ish. Most of the lower-heel wedges I've seen elsewhere look identical to what middle-aged and old ladies were wearing in the early 1980s. If that's nonetheless accurate, then so be it; but I want to be sure.
  • And, because of said OCD about at least some period-correctness, I'm curious about what they actually did. If a girl had to get one pair of workhorse summer wedges, what color would they be? Was white really that popular? I'm not sure how practical it would be, and I certainly don't want to look like a nurse.

My options and thoughts:
  • The twin-strap slingback is quite cute. It has a bone/brown combination, too. Sporty? Too casual? Too distracting from whatever I'm wearing? Would it fight with a printed cotton day dress?
  • The pleated-toe wedge seems to be a favorite, and the style looks very good for what I want. However, the site lists only red, white, black, and soft gold. Black seems a bit bold for an everyday, deep summer shoe. Is soft gold only for evening wear? The metallic part makes me think so; if non-metallic, the color would be good for blending with my not so tan skin. But were neutrals that popular then?
  • Maryjane is more shoe-like than sandal-like; is it granny-like? The only picture shows brown, which might be good, but the site lists only red, white, and black. Hmph.
  • Picasso is more sandal-like. This one's funny; sometimes I think it looks cute, and other times I think it just looks strange. It doesn't look like a very typical design to me, but I'm no expert. It is supposed to come in dark brown, which might be better than black, though still pretty dark.
  • Village is supposed to have a bone/brown color combo, which isn't shown on the site. Two neutral-ish colors, at least. I can't decide if this one is dressy with all the detail, or casual with all the buckles and two-tones. Same question about the two-tone fighting with wearing prints.
  • Briarcliffe. This one looks the most grannyish to me, and it's certainly not a delicate sandal. But the details are cute. Would it be too clunky or casual with a nice cotton day dress? It's actually got a good brown available.

Sheesh, only I could write hundreds of words on shoe styles! :rolleyes: Can you tell I need help? I'd love to hear your opinions, ladies! I need to make a decision soon, since I'm terrified that the brown babydolls will be gone in my size.

Briefly, about sizes - I've gathered that the babydolls are true to size, or that most people order a half size larger and are fine. This is what I'm planning to do. About wedges, though...

I'm a perfect size 9 American. 8.5 is too short, 9.5 is too long, and I'm neither narrow nor wide. I just measured my foot a month or so ago for some 1860s repro boots, and according to the maker's explicit measuring directions, I came up with 10 3/8". He agreed with me that I'm a perfect 9. However, that's exactly the insole length of most of my pumps. [huh] My big toe is the longest toe; would that have anything to do with it, since although my foot's long, the toes don't need as much room on the side? And the Remix wedge size chart indicates that size 11, two full sizes larger than my regular, is what I need. From reading other threads, you ladies have gotten maybe a full size (or size and a half) larger, but this just seems bizarre. Particularly since I don't have any width or other issues to deal with.

Snookie

Practically Family
Sunny, I like the direction you're headed. It's too much money to make the decision lightly! I think it's good that you're planning on getting a neutral color, if it's going to be your primary shoe for a long time. Although, I think red could be very cute with those denim skirts...

If you think you might get them into sticky situations, I might avoid the bone colors -- they won't look good for as long. I don't think gold is a good color for your basic shoe. I had a pair of Picassos in brown, and I liked them: I thought they were flattering, and especially comfy with the ankle strap.

My favorite is the Village. I think it's cute for day or evening.

Call the store and ask the store if there's anything not on the website that you want. Not everything gets put up. Oh, and I always wear a size 8, in Remix included.

Sunny

One Too Many
Thanks a lot, Snookie. This is definitely a big decision. I've been spending a lot of money lately and this is a big blow to my resolve to stop; but the sale has really decided me. It's got to be done sooner or later.

I agree, red is lovely with denim! After I pay myself back for these, I'll be budgeting for some of those. They won't be my workhorse pair, but I'll definitely get a lot of wear out of them.

Good point about the bone colors getting dirty. If these shoes are as comfortable as everyone claims, they'll get a lot of use. At this point, then, I'm leaning toward the Picassos. They're not black, and they won't distract from whatever I'm wearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana