Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing corrosion odor from aluminum

3fingers

One Too Many
Hello. I recently happened upon a really nice looking set of salt and pepper shakers. They are not marked, but look very much like a match for the Kromex canisters from the '50's, which are also currently on my list to acquire. The pepper is fine. A good cleaning and it is ready to go. The salt shaker was unfortunately put away with some salt left in it and apparently stored in an area that was not particularly dry. It is slightly pitted, especially on the bottom, and has an odor that I would like to remove. It smells like corroded metal for lack of a better reference. I have been through baking soda, vinegar, and lemon juice and have put newsprint in the shaker and left it. All of these have seemed to help to varying degrees. Today's idea was to put some sand in it and shake the devil out of it. This seems to have worked as well or better than my other ideas. My wife cannot smell the odor and thinks I may be imagining things, but I do not wish to put this shaker back into service until I conquer this. I thank you for any additional ideas you may have.

ingineer

One Too Many
3fingers
This may sound strange:
Coca-cola
The mild phosphoric acid works very well on Motorcycle parts.
Heating is is even better.
i use it with aluminum foil to clean rims

3fingers

One Too Many
I hadn't gotten back to this thread to say thank you to ingineer for the Coca-Cola idea. I tried it at room temperature for a bit, but could still detect the odor. I then set the cola filled shaker in a saucepan with water in it on the stove and heated the works up. It worked like a champ. No more odor to be detected after washing the cola out. Thank you again for the great idea.

ingineer

One Too Many
3fingers;
you're welcome and i'm glad it worked out for you.
So many tricks of the trades.
I wish i had recorded all that i heard from my elders

ingineer, your suggestion reminded me of something the folks used to do when I was a kid. Before wiper washers became common in cars, on road trips they would pour a small (6 1/2 oz) Coke (Coca Cola) on the windshield to help get rid of the bug residue. Always thought is was a waste of a good drink till I saw it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points