Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repair & Care of old and other delicate fabrics

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The lovely NOS blouse I purchased just a few weeks ago was only good for one day at the office - the underarm on one side has ripped. I wonder if it's worth trying to repair or if the silk is just too delicate. Any tips/experiences to share?

40sblouse.jpg

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
My experiences with repairing silk have been pretty sad- once it's started to shatter or split it usually is past the point of recovery. One of the things you might try is having a seamstress lower the armholes and reset the sleeves if she can. This won't provide as much movement in the arms, but at least it would be salvaged. The silk may be dry, due to improper storage, or have been treated with a dye process that weakens the fabric in time and may happen again after repairs if that's the case:

"INHERENT INSTABILITY
Antique silk textiles that were produced in the early 19th and 20th century are often chemically unstable due to a process called "weighting". Weighting involved the addition of metallic salts to the silk to add weight and body to the fabric. Silk that has been treated with metallic salts containing iron and tin are particularly susceptible to accelerated degradation resulting in silk that is brittle and frayed.

In order to minimize damage to fragile silk objects, physical stress on the fabric should be avoided during storage and display. Flat storage is highly recommended since it is the most effective method of providing even support for the entire textile. Acid-free, non-buffered tissue should be placed in between folds to give added support. Contact with water should be avoided as it can cause the permanent staining of silk."
From this site

Here's a handy link from Antiques Roadshow on textile care which shows extremes of some things that can happen if stored and handled improperly.

magneto

Practically Family
If you really like the way the shirt fits / looks on you, you can take it to a seamstress and s/he can make a pattern from the shirt, then make exact duplicates in the fabrics of your choice.

Snookie

Practically Family
What a wonderful blouse, I just love the fabric *and* the design. I second Magneto and Lady Day -- have a pattern made from it (that collar is just too cool!) and then use the fabric elsewhere/or sell it. If you do take apart the blouse, save those vintage buttons!

I just had another idea -- if the strain only seems to be in the underarms, have a gusset put in with another fabric. A gusset is a diamond shaped piece and should add more room for movement.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Lingerie repair

I'm bumping this old thread with another question of damaged vintage. I have a lovely vintage Goddess strapless bra, black with illusion lace and very pretty, but the underwire is poking through the top on one side and is stabbing me in the chest when I wear it. I've had it repaired once but it only kept the underwire at bay for a few hours.

Any suggestions?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
oooh, I LOVE Goddess bras!

How was it repaired? A patch over the hole, or was the wire readjusted back into position?

I would think that would be a simple repair. Move the wire back in place, plug the hole with a firm well stitched in fabric, and off you go!

Got any pics?

Miss 1929

Wrap the wire

with some tape or something (a tiny bandaid will work) before putting it back in place - probably it keeps tearing through as the wire is rough/sharp?

And, regarding silk - if it is washable (meaning the print won't run) you can soak silk in milk overnight to strengthen it, the protein bonds to the milk protein while soaking. Handy tip pf the day!

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Try giving this stuff a shot:
plastidip.jpg

People who are into making corsets use it to cover the tips of the boning so that it won't pierce through the fabric.

Borrowed from www.corsetmaking.com:
Bone Tipping Fluid
Rubber coating for tipping the ends of cut busks, white bones, or tipped spiral bones. Won't crack, chip or become brittle. Resists water, dry cleaning chemicals, impact, and abrasion. Invaluable to have around the workroom for the inevitable piece of boning or busk that needs to be cut to size.

I suggest tipping your underwire before stitching it back into your bra.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
And, regarding silk - if it is washable (meaning the print won't run) you can soak silk in milk overnight to strengthen it, the protein bonds to the milk protein while soaking. Handy tip pf the day!

I think i might be just a little bit in love with you...thank you so much for the tip!

jayem

A-List Customer
I have a 20's silk dress thats shattered on the sleeve. I've decided to quit trying to repair it and just appreciate it's vintage beauty. A friend suggested I scrap it and make something new... but it's so lovely I don't think I could do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ