Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacement for Carhartt Chore Coat

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately when doing some outside caulking, I ruined my favorite layering coat, my 26 year old Carhartt Chore coat. This one was made in the USA and worked perfectly with a T, canvas shirt and Filson Wool vest. Had a nice patina and was cut perfectly for layering.

I'm looking for a similar fitting and looking coat. Must be USA*made, heavy cotton duck, smooth sleeve lining for ease of entry and button closure. *I would accept something from England, Ireland, Scotland or Canada. I tend to wear my clothing quite a awhile so don't mind spending a few $. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
G.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Filson is a good suggestion if you want an alternative for Carhartt, however they are 3x as expensive for the same performance. Not worth it from a practical work-tool-perspective. If you want to wear it casually, it's okay I guess. Filson has a better standing fashion-wise which everyone has to decide for themselves whether or not it is worth the extra bucks.

Vanson makes some heavy cotton jackets, too.

Lost Worlds have some, too.

Simmons Bilt have 18 oz cotton they will make you whatever jacket you wish from.

Last, have you considered a classic jeans jacket? There is a number of small and big companies, espceially in the heavy denim scene, who make one and they are buttoned, long-lasting and perfect for layering. I wear a cheap Levis one when working outside and even though it is not heavy duty, it's lasting forever and I love its fit and pockets configuration.

Peacoat

Bartender
I have a Carhartt blanket lined chore coat with button closure. The sleeves aren't smooth as they are lined with the same material as the body. Never had a problem putting my arms in the sleeves, though. It is an X-Large which is a size or two too large for me, and I never wear it anymore.

Willybob

A-List Customer
I feel your pain. I love my old Carhartt chore coats. I have two, my old one I bought 30 years ago and keep alive with grosgrain trim and patches on the frayed spots, and a newer one which I bought to replace the old one when I finally can't patch it any more. My first was the sand color which I prefered but they discontinued that color a while ago. My newer one is about 12 years old and is starting to break in and show wear. Its sad that an american company has caved in and now outsourced to china. How many US jobs were lost there? The Chinese product always seem to be a step down in quality and many options have disappeared. Now they no longer blanket line the sleeves. I dont care for that acetate quilted lining they use now. Seems cheap. Oh well. I'll just go buy some more tan grosgrain.

As far as Filson goes, I love their stuff but the cost is way too high. When they were a small company they would accommodate customer requests and suggestions. Now that they have grown so big their customer service is nill.

Willybob

A-List Customer
That LCKing looks promising. I wonder what the arm lining is and what weight the canvas is.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
Filson is a good suggestion if you want an alternative for Carhartt, however they are 3x as expensive for the same performance. Not worth it from a practical work-tool-perspective. If you want to wear it casually, it's okay I guess. Filson has a better standing fashion-wise which everyone has to decide for themselves whether or not it is worth the extra bucks.

Vanson makes some heavy cotton jackets, too.

Lost Worlds have some, too.

Simmons Bilt have 18 oz cotton they will make you whatever jacket you wish from.

Last, have you considered a classic jeans jacket? There is a number of small and big companies, espceially in the heavy denim scene, who make one and they are buttoned, long-lasting and perfect for layering. I wear a cheap Levis one when working outside and even though it is not heavy duty, it's lasting forever and I love its fit and pockets configuration.

I've not been too happy with the last couple items from Filson so I'm looking elsewhere. I'll look into the other (3) brands you mentioned, I wasn't aware they made something like this.
I like the classic jeans jacket although I occasionally wear a lite/medium weight sweater under the Chore coat and it would show below the hem of a jeans jacket.
Thanks,
G.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
Maybe something from Schaefer Outfitter? I have their Mesquite Jacket and have/had many others--great US made product:
http://www.schaefer-ranchwear.com/
Or LC King/Pointer Brand perhaps:
https://lcking.com/
Thanks for the links, I didn't care for the LC King Pointer item although the Schaefer 310 Mesquite looks very interesting, I just wish it was more of a Chore coat in style, perhaps a bit longer w/o the Western look seam on back.
G.

Last edited:

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I have a Carhartt blanket lined chore coat with button closure. The sleeves aren't smooth as they are lined with the same material as the body. Never had a problem putting my arms in the sleeves, though. It is an X-Large which is a size or two too large for me, and I never wear it anymore.

Thanks for the offer, I double checked and my Chore coat is also blanket lined in the sleeves, I was confusing it with the Detroit USA made jacket I also have. Is your Chore coat made in USA? My coat is a size 44 although fits me like a 46 which is why I like it. I have long arms like a 46 although the 46 body allows me to add items like a LS shirt and vest or sweater. I typically wear a 44. Let me know.
G.

BobJ

Practically Family
Why don't you just get another Carhartt chore coat? They're still making them:
kurt-russell-and-carhartt-c02-sandstone-chore-coat-gallery.jpg

LINK: http://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-coats-jackets/Duck-Chore-Coat-Blanket-Lined-C001

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I feel your pain. I love my old Carhartt chore coats. I have two, my old one I bought 30 years ago and keep alive with grosgrain trim and patches on the frayed spots, and a newer one which I bought to replace the old one when I finally can't patch it any more. My first was the sand color which I prefered but they discontinued that color a while ago. My newer one is about 12 years old and is starting to break in and show wear. Its sad that an american company has caved in and now outsourced to china. How many US jobs were lost there? The Chinese product always seem to be a step down in quality and many options have disappeared. Now they no longer blanket line the sleeves. I dont care for that acetate quilted lining they use now. Seems cheap. Oh well. I'll just go buy some more tan grosgrain.

As far as Filson goes, I love their stuff but the cost is way too high. When they were a small company they would accommodate customer requests and suggestions. Now that they have grown so big their customer service is nill.

*The C001 Chore coat in Carhartt Brown is made in Mexico, that said, my 2014 Anniversary Ed. Detroit jacket is made in USA, has blanket lining(sleeves are smooth) and I believe the cloth duck material is same as the Chore coat. Carhartt must own the patterns, why not build the Chore coat in the USA?
I understand your feelings about the acetate sleeves although I've a bum shoulder which sometimes makes it difficult to slide my arm into something that's a bit grabby, the smooth material helps a bit.
Thanks,
G.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You might want to check out Prison Blues Yard Coat. The cut looks almost exactly like the Carhartt chore coat you had and it is made at the Eastern Oregon Correctional Facility in Pendleton, Oregon.
I know that this is not exactly the jacket you were looking for, but I thought I would throw it out there because I've heard good things about them and they are made in the USA.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
You might want to check out Prison Blues Yard Coat. The cut looks almost exactly like the Carhartt chore coat you had and it is made at the Eastern Oregon Correctional Facility in Pendleton, Oregon.
I know that this is not exactly the jacket you were looking for, but I thought I would throw it out there because I've heard good things about them and they are made in the USA.
I'll take a look, thanks.
G.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I prefer the Carhartt to the Filson I own.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. Companies go to China to save money on production. Market forces. Some companies can't stay afloat if they have to pay decent wages to workers. Sadly.

bobm

A-List Customer
Unfortunately when doing some outside caulking, I ruined my favorite layering coat, my 26 year old Carhartt Chore coat. This one was made in the USA and worked perfectly with a T, canvas shirt and Filson Wool vest. Had a nice patina and was cut perfectly for layering.

I'm looking for a similar fitting and looking coat. Must be USA*made, heavy cotton duck, smooth sleeve lining for ease of entry and button closure. *I would accept something from England, Ireland, Scotland or Canada. I tend to wear my clothing quite a awhile so don't mind spending a few $. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
G.

I think you have gotten some good choices and more to come, I'm sure. And I applaud your preference for buying said products from those countries. And I agree, it's sad that Carhartt clothing is made offshore.
As an aside, I had written a bit of my experience with Filson products - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/filson-coats-anyone.87081/page-5.

But I guess I'm questioning - or at least thinking about a chore coat that you chose to wear while really getting down to the nitty gritty - working on cars, caulking, where that stuff IMHO, doesn't add patina, rather adds stains and wanting to wear that same jacket elsewhere. Or perhaps, that doesn't matter - and that's a good thing. For what it's worth and I know it's not USA made, but I have a Duluth Trading Company cotton duck jacket that is as tough and long wearing as anything available, literally was laying on the rough stone pavers when working on my pool and wear it when I'm not concerned about stains and such.

Good luck with yours search.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana