Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacement for Carhartt Chore Coat

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I think you have gotten some good choices and more to come, I'm sure. And I applaud your preference for buying said products from those countries. And I agree, it's sad that Carhartt clothing is made offshore.
As an aside, I had written a bit of my experience with Filson products - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/filson-coats-anyone.87081/page-5.

But I guess I'm questioning - or at least thinking about a chore coat that you chose to wear while really getting down to the nitty gritty - working on cars, caulking, where that stuff IMHO, doesn't add patina, rather adds stains and wanting to wear that same jacket elsewhere. Or perhaps, that doesn't matter - and that's a good thing. For what it's worth and I know it's not USA made, but I have a Duluth Trading Company cotton duck jacket that is as tough and long wearing as anything available, literally was laying on the rough stone pavers when working on my pool and wear it when I'm not concerned about stains and such.

Good luck with yours search.
I fully understand your statement and agree. That said, the use of my Chore coat when doing a (5) minute caulking job was nothing less than a brain fart on my part. Thinking I was taking the correct protective measures by using a knee pad to kneel on and wearing an old pair of jeans plus wearing nitrile gloves seemed like I had the bases covered. Non-the less, the coat which was purchased in 1988 and was stain free, somehow obtained (2) blotches of siding caulk. The job was to caulk around a newly installed gas meter pipe. I usually don't wear this coat for these purposes although paid the price for doing so this time.
G.

IXL

One Too Many
Why don't you just get another Carhartt chore coat? They're still making them:
kurt-russell-and-carhartt-c02-sandstone-chore-coat-gallery.jpg

LINK: http://www.carhartt.com/products/carhartt-men-coats-jackets/Duck-Chore-Coat-Blanket-Lined-C001

That's the one I have, and wear it when tending the smokers in the back patio cooking area. It's probably more than 20 years old and is just plain comfy as well as being bulletproof. But if it is going to be hard to replace, I might just have to rethink wearing it for all the "crap" jobs its used for. The blanket lining has never been in the least bit grabby, and the rather tall-when-upturned collar is a real asset when dealing with those cold sweeping-across-the-prairie Oklahoma winds.

And just as an aside, I feel I look better wearing mine, than the above ^^ :D

BobJ

Practically Family
That's the one I have, and wear it when tending the smokers in the back patio cooking area. It's probably more than 20 years old and is just plain comfy as well as being bulletproof. But if it is going to be hard to replace, I might just have to rethink wearing it for all the "crap" jobs its used for. The blanket lining has never been in the least bit grabby, and the rather tall-when-upturned collar is a real asset when dealing with those cold sweeping-across-the-prairie Oklahoma winds.

And just as an aside, I feel I look better wearing mine, than the above ^^ :D

Kinda like this??
carhartt_c02_sandstone_chore_coat_moss_mark_harmon-003a.jpg

aa015aea3eead64b6b760230d06441dd.jpg

carhartt_c02_sandstone_chore_coat_moss_mark_harmon-002a.jpg

chore1-thumb-580x435-7534.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Oddly, it's a design you don't see much in the UK. I've been tempted to pick an unlined version up for wearing when I go travelling in the warmer end of the year (looks well appointed as a casual jacket to thrown on when I'm flying, and that still wouldn't be too hot to wear of an evening in Beijing in May (when the temps average 30 degrees at the peak of the day). Hmnn.... If Carhartt are being outsourced to China now, maybe I should look for a deal on one there. Buying from the US is prohibitvely expensive just at the minute, with the pound showing no signs of real recovery.

You might want to check out Prison Blues Yard Coat. The cut looks almost exactly like the Carhartt chore coat you had and it is made at the Eastern Oregon Correctional Facility in Pendleton, Oregon.
I know that this is not exactly the jacket you were looking for, but I thought I would throw it out there because I've heard good things about them and they are made in the USA.

Been looking at those myself - unfortunately, the UK suppliers only seem to get in the blue denim version. I'd consider one of the black version if they did import it. Had a couple of pairs of PB jeans some years ago, and they were an impressive product. I'd love to see what they could do if they were able to produce or work with selvedge. I like the sound of the project itself, too - apparently there's a proven and very pronounced drop in the levels of recidivism by those who are involved in working for PB as distinct from those who chose not to go that route.

Not sure why anyone is surprised. Companies go to China to save money on production. Market forces. Some companies can't stay afloat if they have to pay decent wages to workers. Sadly.

Market forces are exactly it. I'm always wryly amused by people here who hate on the Chinese-made DMs for not being as good as they used to be when they were made in the UK twenty years ago, then turn round and give off about how "overpriced" the UK-made models are. Thing is, if you're not prepapred to pay more than they were twenty years ago, well, a company may well be prepared to keep the price to that level, but build the product accordingly. First they cut labour costs, then costs of materials.... ain't too long before quality drops noticeably. Reminds me of that picture that kicked around social media before Christmas showing the evolution of the "big" Christmas tin of branded chocolates since the seventies. VEry little fluctuation in price, but the tin itself is now les than half the size it started out...

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
I believe Carhartt has relocated a lot of it's production to Mexico & not China as stated in previous posts. . If you want the genuine made in the USA by union labor, then why not consider evilbay....there are loads of used Carhartt jackets, most are in reasonable condition, some in excellent condition & some, well, are pretty threadbare,( funny enough, those appear to go for ridiculously high amounts) .;)

Last edited:

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I've been looking for a replacement with no real success and currently looking at the used market. I'm getting close although at this point, no cigar. Fortunately our weather so far this winter has either been unseasonably warm or cold. My Bemidji and Carhartt Detroit coats have the bases covered.
G.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
There are many Carhartt on eBay - even some of the USA made models. If they last that long (I know they do, I have a bunch of them) I'd go that route...

This, I bought one of these locally used, ran it thorough the wash. $15.00. And Carhartt items are primarily made in Mexico, not Aisa. There are some things I just work with.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
This, I bought one of these locally used, ran it thorough the wash. $15.00. And Carhartt items are primarily made in Mexico, not Aisa. There are some things I just work with.

The Carhartt C001 Brown Chore Coat is made in Mexico*. I'm still looking for a USA made item.
G.

*Verified w/ Carhartt

Last edited:

breezer

Practically Family
they were selling Ben Davis chore coats in my local TK Max - some of their stuff is USA made - not as nice as Carhartt though.

basbol13

A-List Customer
iu

How 'bout this one? I think it will do just fine. I really think the buckles make it unlike those flimsy buttons on the Carhartt

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
iu

How 'bout this one? I think it will do just fine. I really think the buckles make it unlike those flimsy buttons on the Carhartt

Arrr, but those buckles can't be used. Van Helsing's coat was made to remain open for that perfect drape & even when it was pouring with rain or freezing cold, he never did up his coat..................same thing for Hellboy's duster.

basbol13

A-List Customer
I agree, but we are talking about a REAL CHORE COAT. Not one of those flimsy ones made out of that goofy duck material, but a real mans coat made out of hide worn by a tough guy who doesn't need to ever button up no matter who he is hacking up or how much blood is flying!!!!

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
I agree, but we are talking about a REAL CHORE COAT. Not one of those flimsy ones made out of that goofy duck material, but a real mans coat made out of hide worn by a tough guy who doesn't need to ever button up no matter who he is hacking up or how much blood is flying!!!!

While the Carhartt 12oz.Duck material has certainly proven it's worth, A chore coat in leather would certainly fill the bill. I've spotted quite a few at quality suppliers I like although the price is holding me back. That and lack of tough guy persona.....and flying blood.
G.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
As a OP update, I may have found a replacement. "Union Made Shop" has a USA made, 12oz Duck jacket w/ blanket lining at a realistic price. It resembles the Carhartt Chore coat very closely. I've shot them a request for more information and pics, I'll see where it goes although it looks promising.
G.

*Unfortunately I've not received a reply from either the manufacturer or vendor. Amazing that you can't get a company to allow you to give them money....

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the links, I didn't care for the LC King Pointer item although the Schaefer 310 Mesquite looks very interesting, I just wish it was more of a Chore coat in style, perhaps a bit longer w/o the Western look seam on back.
G.
I'm glad for the link -- I could use a USA-made denim jacket for those cold Loozyana nights (i.e., about 3 a year).

breezer

Practically Family
Big Bill still manufacture in USA & Canada - though they don't seem to have a chore coat in their current catalogue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk