Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replacement hat band?

deadhead

New in Town
Folks,

I know this thread is old, but I'd love to see the pics on the first page (I get the red X in the little white box) about ribbon replacement, and if anyone has a link to how-to-make a bow, that would be great as well.

Thanks much,

deadhead

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I have searched for two years trying to find a dealer for smooth-edge rayon/cotton grosgrain ribbon. To no avail. NO ONE seems to sell it. Anywhere. Those who sell it to hatmakers do not advertise publicly, and apparently, don't want their existence to be known.

I can find sawtooth edge ribbon, but no smooth edge. Which is kind of irritating.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Fatdutchman said:
I have searched for two years trying to find a dealer for smooth-edge rayon/cotton grosgrain ribbon. To no avail. NO ONE seems to sell it. Anywhere. Those who sell it to hatmakers do not advertise publicly, and apparently, don't want their existence to be known.

I can find sawtooth edge ribbon, but no smooth edge. Which is kind of irritating.

There is, for the most part, one manufacturer of men's hat band, and that's Lawrence Schiff Silk Mills. They only carry in stock hat band in black and in white, though you can order a custom dye run in any color as long as you buy 5000 yards. You can occasionally find their hat band on eBay from some of those ribbon dealers, and sometimes in other colors.

The hat band is not on their website, but it is in their catalog, which can be downloaded in a pdf format.

Brad

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
deadhead said:
Jack,
Is Dalexs' tutorial also the missing pics from the thread?

I don't know. The pics on this thread won't load for me either. The linked file must have been deleted.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
Brad Bowers said:
There is, for the most part, one manufacturer of men's hat band, and that's Lawrence Schiff Silk Mills.

Brad, Schiff does indeed offer rayon/cotton hat band ribbon but they have this only in 1.5 inch width (16 lignes) or 2.0 inch width (22 lignes).

We see a lot of merchants offering hats with bands of 19 or 18 lignes, which is about 1.75 inches or a little less. The band on my Biltmore Senator is 19 lignes.

So the question remains, where are they getting their ribbon...and how can we get some?

Fatdutchman said:

I've found it fairly easy to find new hatband ribbon (finished edge, cotton/rayon blend grosgrain) in various colors and widths, but only up to 1 1/2 inches. It's okay stuff, too, although it's not as good as the better vintage ribbon, which is, of course, a much more precious commodity. Indeed, I'd be willing to pay what some might consider astronomical amounts for vintage hatband ribbon in those larger widths, but I rarely do because the stuff can be so darned hard to come by.

The ribbon may not be the most important factor in the making of a quality hat, but it's far from the least important. It shows, for cryin' out loud! It can, and usually does, have a huge effect on a hat's look.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Wolfmanjack said:
Brad, Schiff does indeed offer rayon/cotton hat band ribbon but they have this only in 1.5 inch width (16 lignes) or 2.0 inch width (22 lignes).

We see a lot of merchants offering hats with bands of 19 or 18 lignes, which is about 1.75 inches or a little less. The band on my Biltmore Senator is 19 lignes.

So the question remains, where are they getting their ribbon...and how can we get some?

Maybe that's all they have in stock at the moment. Their catalog lists 4, 6, 12, 16, 19, and 22 in the 50-yard rolls of rayon/cotton hat band, but when I last talked to them a couple of weeks ago, I only asked about 4 ligne and 22 ligne. I've gotten some rolls of their 19 ligne in several colors on eBay in the past, but not direct.

Brad

Shirley Films

New in Town
I have contacted a few local hatters, interested in replacing the leather band as well as the outer ribbon of an old Dobbs Fedora. However, both places want to charge me around $70-80 for the ribbon, and about $50-65 for the band. I feel like I could probably just get a replacement hat on Ebay for this much scratch.

Can anyone recommend a place online that might be slightly more friendly to my wallet?

Mike at NW Hats in Eugene Oregon is replacing a rather boring ribbon on my Stephen L. Stetson. He has a nice selection. I don't know how shipping to and from is involved. I thankfully have to luxury of being only a short jaunt down I5 to "my hatter". Picking it up tomorrow, can't wait to see the transformation!

I have contacted a few local hatters, interested in replacing the leather band as well as the outer ribbon of an old Dobbs Fedora. However, both places want to charge me around $70-80 for the ribbon, and about $50-65 for the band. I feel like I could probably just get a replacement hat on Ebay for this much scratch.

Can anyone recommend a place online that might be slightly more friendly to my wallet?
www.outwestsaddlery.com
plus search ebay for leather hatbands. Vintage ribbon is a whole other story...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points