Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've decided to forget the buckle back, but now I need to find vintage style donut buttons. My craft store visit today came up short.
I'll hunt some more tomorrow. If anyone knows where I could find some let me know.
Thanks for the input guys!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I may be wrong but I don't think the metal rivet/donut buttons will hold so well in corduroy. In my experience with corduroy Levis and such, the cloth seems too soft to hold the buttons- opens up and lets go.

Think I've seen the type of buttons you need on one of the Civil War Sutler web sites.

B
T

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm...

Can't find the one I'm thinking of but what about sew-on metal buttons..?
Gives you quite a lot of choice-
I personally think they're better on Corduroy than the rivet/grommet type,
but that's totally your decision... I had the rivet ones pull out on LEvis cords.

Anyway, this site has some really cool old metal trouser buttons, amongst other cool buttons:

http://www.wtv-zone.com/julia801/Site/ReEnact.html

I'll see if I can find the one I was thinking of but "sewing notions" type places and online stores have the rivet type but I haven't seen the Donut style ones.

I'll keep looking.

B
T

flat-top

BellyTank said:
Hmmm...

Can't find the one I'm thinking of but what about sew-on metal buttons..?
Gives you quite a lot of choice-
I personally think they're better on Corduroy than the rivet/grommet type,
but that's totally your decision... I had the rivet ones pull out on LEvis cords.

Anyway, this site has some really cool old metal trouser buttons, amongst other cool buttons:

http://www.wtv-zone.com/julia801/Site/ReEnact.html

I'll see if I can find the one I was thinking of but "sewing notions" type places and online stores have the rivet type but I haven't seen the Donut style ones.

I'll keep looking.

B
T
Thanks to both of you guys!
What type is on the Old Town pants? It's hard to see in the pics on the site?

flat-top

I tried to order buttons from the link BT provided, and they've never gotten back to me! There's no order form; you have to email your order and wait for a reply. This was a week ago!
Anyone else have any links to similar sites?

flat-top

Picked this up yesterday...
IMG_2157.jpg

shortbow

Practically Family
Great pics Riley, I especially like the Spud Cellar. What I wouldn't give to be able to walk into a joint like that today.

As to work pants, I recently found some "Hamilton" pants from Carhart. Save that they have zippers instead of buttons, they are a spittin' image for the old stuff. Mucho comfortable and well made. Unfortunately, like so many patriotic American corporations have done, they are not union, they're Mexican.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got this shirt the other week at the Ralph Lauren outlet. I really like the fabric, nice and heavy. I like the shape of the pockets and the buttons. The cut of the bottom of the shirt is very nice.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
I have to say that I've been a big fan of Dickies brand work wear for the past two years. Don't know exactly how vintage the designs are but they seem to wear like iron for me! The flat front pants seem pretty high wasted compared to the alternatives. The short sleeve button up shirts fit me quite a bit better than the long sleeved do. I'm tall (6'1") and thin and the short sleeved have a very fitted look on me. The long sleeved... that's another story. I don't seem to have a big enough torso!! And to close my rant... the nicest thing about Dickies for me is that the trousers can be worn as casual dress pants as well as work pants provided you keep a pair for the occasion. lol Wait... there is a better aspect to them- they are relatively cheap AND they look nicer than what half of the general public wears in my town!

Matt- do you have any insight on how traditional their styling is??

flat-top

I've got a re-issue pair of what are suppossed to be the original Dickies denim work pants. Apart from the old style logo, there seems to be nothing authentic about them.
The regular pants however,seem to be unchanged (except for the material content I imagine) since the 50's:
50s_sept.jpg

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
So the denim, as in "jean" style work pants have been bastardized beyond recognition? And the regular flat front pants, that come in a khaki, blue, grey or black, are pretty spot on? Good show! I may not know fashion for any level but sometimes things just work out in my favor! Lucky accident! lol

Burnsie

I've recently become fascinated bordering on obsessed with 30's style work wear...Just got one of the J Crew chinstrap chambray shirts off eBay for a decent price and it's (to my eye) a very authentic looking job - all cotton, selvedge seams, cat eye buttons, union made label...kinda makes my Dickie's work shirts look like junk...too bad it's made in China (ack)

flat-top

Burnsie said:
I've recently become fascinated bordering on obsessed with 30's style work wear...Just got one of the J Crew chinstrap chambray shirts off eBay for a decent price and it's (to my eye) a very authentic looking job - all cotton, selvedge seams, cat eye buttons, union made label...kinda makes my Dickie's work shirts look like junk...too bad it's made in China (ack)
I want one of these...is there a name for the shirt style?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff