Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Requesting assistance in the details of my first Art Fawcett

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
That is a beautiful hat!!! Looks very good on you as well. Maybe a silly question, but did you do the bash yourself? It looks like it came with an open crown.

Jabos

A-List Customer
Beautiful!!!!!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I'd not really considered natural, but that looks great.

MattJH

One Too Many
Thank you everyone! And especially Art.

JPMcAdara said:
Maybe a silly question, but did you do the bash yourself? It looks like it came with an open crown.

Actually, you have a good eye. Yes, I asked Art to ship it open crown. I asked him how he puts his creases in and he said he does them tightly and with steam. I prefer a more loose, hand-made look, so I opted to have it shipped uncreased. The creasing in the photograph is purely temporary and was done just for the photos. It's currently sitting in its box, uncreased. I don't know what I'm going to do with it just yet.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Nice!

Great hat, Matt. Good job by you, and especially by Art. I really need a lightweight by Art, and I love that welted edge.

Anj

JPMcAdara

Familiar Face
MattJH said:
Thank you everyone! And especially Art.

Actually, you have a good eye. Yes, I asked Art to ship it open crown. I asked him how he puts his creases in and he said he does them tightly and with steam. I prefer a more loose, hand-made look, so I opted to have it shipped uncreased. The creasing in the photograph is purely temporary and was done just for the photos. It's currently sitting in its box, uncreased. I don't know what I'm going to do with it just yet.

Man, I think you did a great job on the bash!! It really seemed to fit your profile. I am sure whatever you decide, it will look perfect!!! :eusa_clap

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
MattJH said:
It's heeeeeeere!
I am very impressed. This will likely be my only hat from Vintage Silhouettes,
[/IMG]

I love your new lid from Art. Wonderful in every detail..............but really...........do you expect us to believe you will be the one guy who has the restraint to stop at one VS.:D

Viper Man

Banned
Great hat, Matt (and Art!).

handlebar bart said:
I love your new lid from Art. Wonderful in every detail..............but really...........do you expect us to believe you will be the one guy who has the restraint to stop at one VS.:D

This is exactly what I was thinking. I own two and can't wait for the chance to get another! Art's hats are special to me.

MattJH

One Too Many
Taken right this second at the park by my apartment with my laptop's integrated webcam:

bardascino.jpg

I cannot say enough about this one. To be blunt, when I first started participating here, I couldn't fathom any justifiable reason why anybody would ever pay $300 for a hat. I still feel this way about production hats, regardless of quality, but for a custom hat? I get it. I totally get it.

The "natural" felt (which simply means it was never dyed) goes with absolutely positively anything. From blacks to greys to blues to greens to browns, there is no color clash at all. It's amazing. As you can see, I'm currently wearing a brown and cream checkered button-down, an orange undershirt, and an olive-green spring jacket, and the hat fits in there seamlessly. For those contemplating their first Art Fawcett / VS, or for those who truly want an all-purpose hat, the "natural" color (or lack thereof!) has my highest recommendation. Coupled with the 1" ribbon and the non-flashy ribbon treatment, I can pop this onto my head before leaving the door without worry. If you're getting the lightweight felt like I did, I also strongly recommend the underwelt. It adds some stability to the brim, and the underwelt makes it so that it can still pass as a raw edge if looking at the hat in any way other than from under it. I like raw edges, but wanted stability, so there you have it.

And my doctor will be very happy that I've taken the recommended measures to drastically decrease my chance of another pesky melanoma cropping up! That's probably the best part. I've always wondered what it's like to find the perfect anything, and now I know.

P.S. - I know that the one dent is slightly asymmetrical to the other one; it's intentional, though! I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I strongly prefer loose creases that are obviously hand-made as opposed to the strangely-perfect, tight symmetrical ones. It's a personal preference, that's all. So far, it is 100% dry creased, and I intend to keep it that way. The first downpour will set it in, I'm sure.

P.P.S. - My recent discovery that my wireless signal reaches the park across the street has ruled. I just hope a bird doesn't poop on my laptop. Haha.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Great hat. Love the asymmetrical bash. I also don't know how you can stop at one. I now have two, and would really like another. They're both unique, but fit me perfectly, and that's really rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points